Star Wars Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018) -- Spoiler Tags and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite liked the young Han, both times. Agree that Clarke can't act. Definitely feel if Lord and Miller had stayed in charge, it would be more of an Ocean's 11 heist film, rather than a semi-serious heist flick.

I actually didn't like that Lando cheated, it doesn't really fit his character. But while we don't explicitly see Han cheat, I like to assume he does and it's an amusing back-and-forth.

Quite liked the young Han, both times. Agree that Clarke can't act. Definitely feel if Lord and Miller had stayed in charge, it would be more of an Ocean's 11 heist film, rather than a semi-serious heist flick.

I actually didn't like that Lando cheated, it doesn't really fit his character. But while we don't explicitly see Han cheat, I like to assume he does and it's an amusing back-and-forth.

Yep. I think Lord and Miller actually would have made a better film, judging from their bits left in. Agree that I still enjoyed it the second time, but still think Rogue One is the only new film that I'd actually just sit down and re-watch, especially because of how seamlessly it fits in. Solo feels a bit jarring. Lando being 21 or whatever and already retired from smuggling seems weird to me, as if all these characters need to have a backstory already.. despite this supposedly being the film showing their backstory.

It's interesting that Solo is still the eighth highest grossing film at the US box office in 2018; will probably finish the year in the top 10. It really paid a price for its budget and overseas failure.

I'm surprised and impressed you've stuck with your avatar long after the terms expired.

It's interesting that Solo is still the eighth highest grossing film at the US box office in 2018; will probably finish the year in the top 10. It really paid a price for its budget and overseas failure.

Yep.

It's sitting 15th worldwide so far. But with xmas to come it'll fall further.

Last year $392m landed you 24th overall. It'll likely be similar for Solo.

Pretty pedestrian.

It's a devastatingly bad result.

Star Wars is one of the world's biggest brands, across all genres of entertainment. Automatically, whenever there's a new release of something from such a global brand, it puts the sales at the very top in its industry. A new iPhone, a new Windows software, a new Ford, a new Beatles album, etc.

It's a significant warning sign, writing on the wall, that the brand name itself is on thin ice, can't afford another misstep.

Yep.

It's sitting 15th worldwide so far. But with xmas to come it'll fall further.

Last year $392m landed you 24th overall. It'll likely be similar for Solo.

Pretty pedestrian.
It will definitely land pretty low worldwide, what I found interesting is that it will still land pretty high in the US. How many big movies are there to come in the last two months, the kind of films that will earn more than $200m domestic? Usually only a few. Though apparently Venom has done gangbusters despite poor reviews, so Solo is ninth in the US now.

However much extra Disney add to the budget for marketing so they can write it off as a loss for tax, is too much and a joke. We know how little marketing was done for this.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like eating vanilla ice cream on its own, I mean it's not really 'bad' but it's just kind of meh and you forget about about it like 5 minutes later.
It’s more like vanilla ice cream whit bits of chivalry icream missed in. Most of it’s meh but there is some crap in there as well.

It actually took away from the lore.

Imagine if we never seen the Kessel run in film. Wouldn't that be interesting?

It's like how we don't see Han winning back the Falcon. It's hinted at, then cut, end credits. Works better.

Sent from mTalk

It actually took away from the lore.

Imagine if we never seen the Kessel run in film. Wouldn't that be interesting?

It's like how we don't see Han winning back the Falcon. It's hinted at, then cut, end credits. Works better.

Sent from mTalk

While I thought this movie did an admirable job even if the story didn't really go anywhere, I agree with this.

I'm pleased they've not gone ahead with a Boba Fett movie, he's the epitome of a character that was cooler when we knew less about him.

Same with Snoke.

It was okay. Went overboard with the "remember this, audience?!!@!!!!" stuff. It did feel more like a real world than the other 3 Disney movies. Admittedly that's not saying much.

Darth Maul looked like he was from a video game. Guess we'll be waiting a while for more of that given this lost money. Or maybe they'll work him and Ewan McGregor into one of the TV series.

If this came out in 2010 people would've loved it.

Last edited:
Word is (from my new favorite sourced Vlogger, Bantha Tracks) is that Ron Howard is a Lucas man, and was constantly arguing with Kathleen Kennedy. He wanted to get rid of L3 droid completely, but KK insisted. He wanted to get rid of the Alden actor playing Han. He wanted to remove pansexual references about Lando. He wanted Enfys Nest to be an old man, a former Clone trooper, but KK insisted it had to be a 12 year old girl. Etc.

No wonder so many directors, screen writers, novelists, early hired directors for spinoff movies...all got fired. A nightmare to work with, constantly politic symbolism demanded, virtue signaling, etc going on.

Word is (from my new favorite sourced Vlogger, Bantha Tracks) is that Ron Howard is a Lucas man, and was constantly arguing with Kathleen Kennedy. He wanted to get rid of L3 droid completely, but KK insisted. He wanted to get rid of the Alden actor playing Han. He wanted to remove pansexual references about Lando. He wanted Enfys Nest to be an old man, a former Clone trooper, but KK insisted it had to be a 12 year old girl. Etc.

No wonder so many directors, screen writers, novelists, early hired directors for spinoff movies...all got fired. A nightmare to work with, constantly politic symbolism demanded, virtue signaling, etc going on.
That sounds like the fevered imaginings of a nutter... 'oh, everything I think is SJW is because of Kennedy and not the men that ******* wrote and directed the film'. I await the report that Kasdan also wanted to kill off L3 etc. Lucas loved Kennedy, they worked together for years, if Howard is a 'Lucas man', he would also be a 'Kennedy man'.

That sounds like the fevered imaginings of a nutter... 'oh, everything I think is SJW is because of Kennedy and not the men that ******* wrote and directed the film'. I await the report that Kasdan also wanted to kill off L3 etc. Lucas loved Kennedy, they worked together for years, if Howard is a 'Lucas man', he would also be a 'Kennedy man'.

That's a bit facile even if I do agree with your general point.

So if someone leaks something because he has insiders then it HAS TO BE false?
Give the guy a chance before you discredit him.
Watch his videos. I know he rambles on a lot, but his old stuff has proven to be right often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back