Early winners and losers of trade period / free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion is heavily based on 2019 and the short term aims of the list (ie challenging/rebuilding)
Winners:
Richmond: Gun forward in, some depth out. All for no draft picks. Clear win.
Collingwood: Beams into an already beastly midfield unit. They'll be challenging again you would think. Will be the easiest player to integrate in given how many years he played there too.
Essendon: Improved the weakest area of our list and got our man. Maybe in the long term we'll regret those picks but in 2019/2020 it'll give us a chance to go to a new level and maybe challenge.

Less clear winners:
North Melbourne: Picked up some value players but didn't manage to snag the big fish. I think they've improved their list but have they improved it enough? Will Hall work out? If they aren't in the top 6 next year then its probably a clear fail.
Hawthorn: Got their man in Wingard but personally I thought they needed a pure midfielder more than a small forward type that can run through the midfield. I'm not Wingard's biggest fan but to each their own. Losing Burton is an interesting one, if he goes onto have a better career than Wingard then this could end up a big loss.
Carlton: Some good value acquisitions with some potential upside. That said they didn't get any real game changers.
Brisbane: Losing Beams is unfortunate but Neale will be more useful in terms of building for sustained success. Brisbane's era for challenging is likely to be about 2021 in my books so I'm a fan of how they are positioning themselves.

Losers:
GWS: Unwinnable trade period. They had to dump lots of salary cap for bargain prices. At least they now have a good chance to retain their core in future seasons. Came back to the pack in terms of talent in a big way though.
Port Adelaide: They clearly want to be challenging right now so losing Polec and Wingard, well its hard to view that in a positive light for 2019.
Thoughts on Freo?

Keep being small minded if you like. You can improve internally, you can improve from trades. They are not mutually exclusive, and we are talking about trades here.

Do you think you'd be better with or without Kelly in 2019?

Hope you've learned your lesson. You're welcome son.
How am I being small minded? Trading for the sake of trading isn't necessarily a good thing, and not trading isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

I think we're going to be a better side in 2019 with or without Kelly. Probably better with, but not at the unrealistic expense that Geelong were demanding, which would result in us compromising our future for a marginal improvement in a premiership winning team. Nothing is black and white, these things operate on a spectrum, and the cost of 20 + 22 + future first was too great to justify. 99% of eagles supporters are happy we knocked back Geelong's demand. Definitely sucks to miss out on Kelly but we can get him far cheaper next year without compromising 2 drafts, and we already add back Gaff, Sheppard and probably Naitanui to the premiership winning team.

Keep being condescending if that makes you feel better, in the meantime the professionally run clubs will continue to do what's best for them, be that trading or not, and Carlton will continue to be a bottom 6 team for the forseeable future.

Thoughts on Freo?

I found Freo hard to rate one way or the other to be honest.
I'm keen to see if Freo can finally get an effective working forward line with the additions of Hogan and Lobb. Lobb is also important as a backup ruck option with Sean Darcy still young and I don't think Sandilands will be fit to play that many games in 2019 based on his recent history.

On the other hand I really rate Neale and his exit leaves a gap in the ball winning ability of Freo's midfield. I knew you guys have some talented youngsters coming through that may fill the role eventually but I think 2019 could be tough through the midfield unless Fyfe is absolutely starring.

Long term it all comes down to how well the top draft picks from this year and the previous few years develop.

Dumb argument.

Richmond went backwards.

Collingwood had the benefit of great trades and acquisitions from previous seasons - proves my point.

Hawthorn also had the benefit of great trades from previous seasons.

WCE had great growth internally, doesnt mean they cant also improve from trades.

Try and open up your thinking.

Not sure if serious. Your argument could be used on the flip side, those sides that didnt do in 2018, had decent years of drafting/trading the years before.

Richmond went backwards? They made it to a prelim, sure it wasnt a GF but they get torn apart by players that played with manic pressure much like them on their home ground. They were the best team for the majority of the season.

WCE had good organic growth from within which validates my point that you dont have to trade well to do well the following year.

Carltons logic of hoarding picks and not using them to trade for elite players is bordering on madness. You should offered the GWS Pick 1 for Shiel. A proven blue chip AFL player.

Since the start of this century, the Blues have played what, 3 finals series and in each one had no chance of every winning the flag. wow, just wow.

Great strategy you guys have.

Last edited:
Keep being small minded if you like. You can improve internally, you can improve from trades. They are not mutually exclusive, and we are talking about trades here.

Do you think you'd be better with or without Kelly in 2019?

Hope you've learned your lesson. You're welcome son.

Kelly at what he would have cost would not improve the club.

He was contracted with Geelong who didn't want to trade him so would only accept a trade that was significantly over his value. That is reasonable on their part.

Paying that price would have been unreasonable for West Coast.

Why is it that there is consistently just one club with its posters on here parading around with such bravado like they won the GF or even for that matter played finals?

If you are consistently collecting Top 5 picks, you are a s**t club.

Losers:
Bulldogs (missed on Wingard, lose Adams and Roughead for little, didn’t get an English trade done)
Can someone please fill me in why not trading English is a loss??

Or was the OP hoping he'd get to West Coast rather than Hickey?

Essendon: Improved the weakest area of our list and got our man. Maybe in the long term we'll regret those picks but in 2019/2020 it'll give us a chance to go to a new level and maybe challenge.

Hawthorn: Got their man in Wingard but personally I thought they needed a pure midfielder more than a small forward type that can run through the midfield. I'm not Wingard's biggest fan but to each their own. Losing Burton is an interesting one, if he goes onto have a better career than Wingard then this could end up a big loss.
Wingard average more clearance per game in the last 12 rounds than Shiel once he was moved into the midfield

Wingard average more clearance per game in the last 12 rounds than Shiel once he was moved into the midfield

Well since you brought up the comparison, Shiel was apparently playing a lot on the wing in 2018 due to the depth in the midfield at GWS, certainly his 2017 clearance stats were much higher. I'd wager he gets to spend a lot more time on the inside at Essendon which I believe is his preference. I wouldn't be surprised if his stats go up across the board, simply from more responsibility.

We'll have to wait til 2019 to see how Wingard gets used but most reports have him more as a Cyril replacement than a midfielder.

He was contracted with Geelong who didn't want to trade him so would only accept a trade that was significantly over his value. That is reasonable on their part.

Agree with this. Think you nailed the week. The compo for Lycett was a win. Gaff and Naitanui back into the 22 next year and you’ll be hard to beat.

I think Hawks won, again.

However how could anyone on their list be comfortable and not think Clarko will trade them at the first opportunity to land a bigger fish? Will be interesting what it does for their culture.

Demons made the best they could out of a tricky Hogan situation. Not sure we "won" but I'm pleased with our efforts, both to help the club and to help a player who has had some struggles.

Demons made the best they could out of a tricky Hogan situation. Not sure we "won" but I'm pleased with our efforts, both to help the club and to help a player who has had some struggles.
Solid defence wins flags and may is a massive get. Hogan is a star but that’s the risk you take drafting kids from interstate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picks would be unlikely to have the same effect as a mature, gun mid into the team.

Now maybe the price of your future was too high, and Geelong probably knew this and tried to extract overs like we did with Gibbs. But for 2019 let's not pretend you'd be better off without Kelly.

How am I being small minded? Trading for the sake of trading isn't necessarily a good thing, and not trading isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

I think we're going to be a better side in 2019 with or without Kelly. Probably better with, but not at the unrealistic expense that Geelong were demanding, which would result in us compromising our future for a marginal improvement in a premiership winning team. Nothing is black and white, these things operate on a spectrum, and the cost of 20 + 22 + future first was too great to justify. 99% of eagles supporters are happy we knocked back Geelong's demand. Definitely sucks to miss out on Kelly but we can get him far cheaper next year without compromising 2 drafts, and we already add back Gaff, Sheppard and probably Naitanui to the premiership winning team.

Keep being condescending if that makes you feel better, in the meantime the professionally run clubs will continue to do what's best for them, be that trading or not, and Carlton will continue to be a bottom 6 team for the forseeable future.
You can be petty and defensive all you like. Doesn't change the facts.

I think Hawks won, again.

However how could anyone on their list be comfortable and not think Clarko will trade them at the first opportunity to land a bigger fish? Will be interesting what it does for their culture.
Most players on most lists know this nowadays.

Players ( and coaches ) also know that Clarko will develop them and help them to go on to something else after Hawks ( i.e. Beverege, Cameron, Hardwick, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis ). They have all got something more out of their their lives than if they had stayed at Hawthorn.

I don't know why but I think in four years time we will be looking back on this trade period and shaking our heads at Hawthorn.

Either it will all come good: Wingard returns to AA form; Scully plays a majority of games, Scrimshaw turns into a decent player and Burton plateus.

Or

Wingard continues to mope, Scully never gets on the park, Scrishaw busts and Burton becomes a hall of famer.

Judging Hawthorns recent behaviour I am more willing to back them in on this one.

except for the player that wanted to return home for family reasons....

BS.

If family reasons was such a big factor then he would not have closed the door on Freo.

Kelly only has himself to blame. If he had kept options open then that would have been back with family in 2019.

exactly. The double standards at Geelong are staggering. Theyve forced a disgruntled young player to stay in Geelong against his will and need to go home to his family.

God i hope we pump them next season. As reigning premiers im sure we will :thumbsu:
Spare Me. I'm no fan of Geelong but if he wanted to go home that desperately, he'd have been happy to go to Freo. Geelong have done every club a favour in future trade periods by not taking less to get that deal done.

Well since you brought up the comparison, Shiel was apparently playing a lot on the wing in 2018 due to the depth in the midfield at GWS, certainly his 2017 clearance stats were much higher. I'd wager he gets to spend a lot more time on the inside at Essendon which I believe is his preference. I wouldn't be surprised if his stats go up across the board, simply from more responsibility.

We'll have to wait til 2019 to see how Wingard gets used but most reports have him more as a Cyril replacement than a midfielder.

I suspect he will alternate midfield with Breust. Wingard also played very well running straight through off the back of the square - though we now have that 6 6 6 rule so we shall see.

Picks would be unlikely to have the same effect as a mature, gun mid into the team.

Now maybe the price of your future was too high, and Geelong probably knew this and tried to extract overs like we did with Gibbs. But for 2019 let's not pretend you'd be better off without Kelly.

2020 to 2024 they are better with getting Kelly at the end of 2019 plus all those 2018 and 2019 draft picks which probably find at least one very good player.

Carltons logic of hoarding picks and not using them to trade for elite players is bordering on madness. You should offered the Dons Pick 1 for Shiel. A proven blue chip AFL player.

Great strategy you guys have.

Shield didn’t even choose Carlton. How were they to offer pick one? And even then, reports were SOS had discussion surrounding Shiel and pick 1 should the Dons not be able deal. Overall a weird post.

Shield didn’t even choose Carlton. How were they to offer pick one? And even then, reports were SOS had discussion surrounding Shiel and pick 1 should the Dons not be able deal. Overall a weird post.
The adelaide crow-nies still bitter about Gibbs it seems. While we've moved on they still love to play the victim card.

Newsflash Adelaide: Blame the camp, not the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back