Welcome Another Irishman: Stefan Okunbor

Remove this Banner Ad

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
It's just poorly worded, he actually dominated the combine finishing top 10 for agility and 20m sprint. When they say "didn't make the cut" what they really mean is he didn't get picked up by an AFL club.

Ahhhhhh - that makes more sense.

Wow, that was REALLY poorly worded.

Thank you for the clarification :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast

highlights of Kerrys U20 win over Cork where Okunbar was awarded man of the match. Interview there at the end of the video with some clips of him. As a player, he is a decent full back, but sloppy enough on the ball. He wouldnt have anywhere near the skill or ball playing ability of say O Connor or Tuohy, but would be a more physical tougher man marker than either of them for comparison talk.

Clubber79

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Getting borderline some of these jokes. If only they were funny.

Yeah, I keep an eye out for Irish lads being signed up as rookies and regardless of what club it is the Bigfooty reaction typically includes quite a few comments along the lines of,
"potatoes!"
"Guinness!"
"to be sure, to be sure!"
It's not offensive, not even slightly, it's just a bit... cringey, if that's even a word.

Anyway, Okunbor is someone that has massive potential from an AFL perspective. Played full-back for the county team which is obviously the last line of defence but has the wheels to get forward when the opportunity arises. Has won loads of stuff at underage level and is used to playing in finals in front of big crowds. Will be an athletic beast and having grown up in Kerry, they tend to produce natural ball-players. As always, it will be the game sense and positioning side of things he will need the most help with, but I could see him becoming a HBF similar in style to Conor McKenna at Essendon, i.e. 'all action, all the time'.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, I keep an eye out for Irish lads being signed up as rookies and regardless of what club it is the Bigfooty reaction typically includes quite a few comments along the lines of,
"potatoes!"
"Guinness!"
"to be sure, to be sure!"
It's not offensive, not even slightly, it's just a bit... cringey, if that's even a word.

Anyway, Okunbor is someone that has massive potential from an AFL perspective. Played full-back for the county team which is obviously the last line of defence but has the wheels to get forward when the opportunity arises. Has won loads of stuff at underage level and is used to playing in finals in front of big crowds. Will be an athletic beast and having grown up in Kerry, they tend to produce natural ball-players. As always, it will be the game sense and positioning side of things he will need the most help with, but I could see him becoming a HBF similar in style to Conor McKenna at Essendon, i.e. 'all action, all the time'.

On the jokes, it's just a bit o'fun. I don't see much malice in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back