Opinion Stephen Wells

Remove this Banner Ad

He was only playing hardball because the eagles were premiers and threats again next year.

In his own words - he didn't want to deal with West Coast

Freo offer picks 20 and 22 and he takes it.

That is his (and Geelong's) right. They just have to do some player management in the meantime.

Who knows - maybe if the rules change, we trade with whomever finishes last and get first pick in the PSD next year.

Good to see a club take a stance on a player with a BS "go home" excuse.

Kelly's benefit to Geelong next year, apart from his football ability, is that he is on a relatively low contract. On pure ability, he probably isn't worth pick 10, but that is his overall value to Geelong.

Well played I say.

He was only playing hardball because the eagles were premiers and threats again next year.

That is his (and Geelong's) right. They just have to do some player management in the meantime.

Who knows - maybe if the rules change, we trade with whomever finishes last and get first pick in the PSD next year.

There is no way in hell that the AFL will allow trading of PSD draft picks. It will just lead to the rorting that you are proposing.

From all reports, Kelly is happy at Geelong, and that it is his missus that wants to go home.

There is no way in hell that the AFL will allow trading of PSD draft picks. It will just lead to the rorting that you are proposing.

From all reports, Kelly is happy at Geelong, and that it is his missus that wants to go home.

It was mentioned on the AFL website as something being considered to encourage more player movement.

Absolutely over players who want to go home (that’s fine) but nominate 1 club. Clubs should be allowed to get players to their home state but not be hamstrung by 1 club

It's a professional workplace - why should a club dictate where a player works.

It's a professional workplace - why should a club dictate where a player works.

They still get home. Isn’t that their reasoning or is it the fact they want to go to successful sides...

Why should Geelong have to take rubbish picks in the 20’s from WCE when they could get a top 10-15 pick from Freo.

Players have way too much control it’s about time we go to the nba model

Yeah, the Cats are usually very good about this sort of stuff. Is it because Kelly absolutely refused to talk to Freo?
That is probably part of it. Probably also that 20 or 22 isn’t likely to find someone who can immediately replicate his output.

It's not "we" - you're a nobody on an internet forum. It's "west coast also said..."

Sorry, we're not all as intimately connected with clubs as North fans...

Also:

WCE supporters on here were posting draft point calculators ad nauseum telling us that 20 and 22 were the equivalent of pick 6. Funnily enough, I don't think they had too many offers of pick 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 for them.

I reckon 'we' probably applies in this case. Unless you doubt that I am indeed a WC fan. Or object to me responding to a comment about WC fans.

They still get home. Isn’t that their reasoning or is it the fact they want to go to successful sides...

Why should Geelong have to take rubbish picks in the 20’s from WCE when they could get a top 10-15 pick from Freo.

Players have way too much control it’s about time we go to the nba model

As we discovered (again) - the contract holds the ultimate control

That means players/clubs are all on equal footing

See out your contract and no more

As we discovered (again) - the contract holds the ultimate control

That means players/clubs are all on equal footing

See out your contract and no more

As it should be. You want a contracted player you pay overs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it should be. You want a contracted player you pay overs

Or you have the option of walking away

In any negotiation that is who the power rests with. Ultimately in this case both clubs had the same footing and as such no deal was achieved

Reckon it shows the system is fine

I think things may have been different if Kelly and his manager had indicated that they were open to Fremantle instead of trying to hang Geelong out to dry at the negotiating table. His manager should be forced out of the industry.

Bet you were singing a different song with Nathan Wilson last year...

FREMANTLE have secured their major trade target, snaring Nathan Wilson from Greater Western Sydney.
The Giants originally demanded a top-20 draft pick for the line-breaking defender.
But in the end, Fremantle gave up pick 57 and a 2018 second-round pick in exchange for Wilson and pick 71.
The Peel product last month requested a move home to WA for family reasons.
He revealed his lifelong love of the Dockers and the opposite for West Coast.
“Freo or bust. I don’t like the Eagles. Put that up,” he said. “You are either Freo or Eagles and I am Freo.”

Pot, meet kettle.

Will be fascinating to see if the Geelong fans applauding Wells stance now are as positive about him when Kelly departs for Freo or WCE for nothing via the pre-season draft next year.

Surely that makes sense though, if they believe they are in a premiership window it would be crazy to trade away one of their best players to the reigning premier unless they got way overs. If it was to Freo, you would just accept a fair deal.

Will be fascinating to see if the Geelong fans applauding Wells stance now are as positive about him when Kelly departs for Freo or WCE for nothing via the pre-season draft next year.
Lmao you WC fans are hilarious

Hate to defend Geelong under any circumstances :) But don't see how you could possibly think they were being unreasonable. They basically were offered the pick they paid for him 12 months ago, plus an early 2nd. And then finally, another late 2nd on top of that.

If Kelly doesn't back up his 2018 season then WCE will get him cheaply. But if he has another good season they will still have to pay what Wells asked for this year. If he doesn't want to play for Freo, his manager isn't going to allow him to be sent to the PSD either.

Hate to defend Geelong under any circumstances :) But don't see how you could possibly think they were being unreasonable. They basically were offered the pick they paid for him 12 months ago, plus an early 2nd. And then finally, another late 2nd on top of that.

If Kelly doesn't back up his 2018 season then WCE will get him cheaply. But if he has another good season they will still have to pay what Wells asked for this year. If he doesn't want to play for Freo, his manager isn't going to allow him to be sent to the PSD either.

We wouldn't have to pay two firsts and a second next year. If we are willing to use our first pick in the ND on him then that's another option that helps to reduce Geelong's leverage. East Coast clubs wouldn't touch him and I doubt Freo would use a first rounder on a player who is so against playing for them. Freo may consider using a second rounder though.

I can see him coming home for our first rounder next year. Significantly less than what they could have got this year, but it does leave their window open for one last crack with their ageing stars. Worth it from Geelong's perspective.

We wouldn't have to pay two firsts and a second next year. If we are willing to use our first pick in the ND on him then that's another option that helps to reduce Geelong's leverage. East Coast clubs wouldn't touch him and I doubt Freo would use a first rounder on a player who is so against playing for them. Freo may consider using a second rounder though.

I can see him coming home for our first rounder next year. Significantly less than what they could have got this year, but it does leave their window open for one last crack with their ageing stars. Worth it from Geelong's perspective.

You cant take him in the ND. Not sure who his manager is, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he let Kelly go into the PSD and potentially go anywhere. Freo would finish below you and have first crack. I wouldn't rule out other clubs taking the free gift either. They could always put him on the trade table in 12 months and pick up the free 1st rounder. I'd want the crows to do it if we could afford him in our cap. But we wouldn't.

You cant take him in the ND. Not sure who his manager is, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he let Kelly go into the PSD and potentially go anywhere. Freo would finish below you and have first crack. I wouldn't rule out other clubs taking the free gift either. They could always put him on the trade table in 12 months and pick up the free 1st rounder. I'd want the crows to do it if we could afford him in our cap. But we wouldn't.

Why can't we take him in the ND? Have they changed the rules from last year when players like Hartung got picked up late?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back