Oppo Camp Carlton worst season in 122 years: The Evil of Patrick Cripps...

I love seeing Carlton lose

• Yes

Votes: 199 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 91 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All jokes aside, how does such a proud club like yours keep such a dim wit, Keane Reeves clone like SOS on the payroll!

I'm so glad you have him. You guys seems to love him, but he can't string two sentences together.
He's just so dim witted.
And you guys think he's this list genius.

SOS strategy, take something from GWS.
Ok, it could work. But we got the good ones already.

GWS and Suns have been every Club's development team - you've picked up a few yourselves yeah?

Essendon and Adrian Dodoro are notoriously difficult to deal with at the trade table, so when Dylan Shiel nominated Essendon as his club of choice to go to, he was making his management team at Connors Sports really earn their commission.

Paul Connors reached into his kitbag of negotiation tactics, and pulled out the idea of creating a competitive environment to keep Dodoro moving along in the direction of creating a favourable outcome for his client. Connors needed a lackey to play along with charade, who could he find to play ball? Graeme Wright at Hawthorn? No chance. St Kilda? Nah, Connors had the perfect lackey in Stephen Silvagni at Carlton who was very happy to run around like a puppy dog. All Connors had to do was feed him a few lines about the state of the negotiations with Essendon (which were true) and how his client was now wavering (which was BS / manipulative) and then watch SOS run!

It was a bit cruel of Connors, but it’s a jungle out there ...

... and Connors did ‘leak’ some BS through Barrett about how Carlton was in with a chance, and there were some last minute dramas that were bringing Carlton back into the picture ... just so that Carlton could salvage some pride and not feel too used. Poor Carlton fans will have no idea.

Clever negotiator is Connors!

Cost to us: zero

Cost to Essendon: plenty

Win-win.

On this occasion we all underestimated Brad Lloyd

He was in on the subterfuge from day one

He asked Connors to include SOS in as many wild goose chases as possible so he couldn't mongrel-up other trades

On this occasion we all underestimated Brad Lloyd

He was in on the subterfuge from day one

He asked Connors to include SOS in as many wild goose chases as possible so he couldn't mongrel-up other trades

We didn't have anything better to do! All the business we were ever likely to do, was done last week.

And heaven forbid we get in the way of the geniuses paying two first-rounders for Beams :rainbow: .

You need to remember a Collingwood first-rounder is 17 places lower than yours

By comparison we are spending Zimbabwean dollars
That much, at least it wasn’t lranian riyal

You need to remember a Collingwood first-rounder is 17 places lower than yours

By comparison we are spending Zimbabwean dollars

I'm not against the idea of spending two first-rounders to try and pinch a flag. Reasonable proposition in isolation, especially when one of them is #18 (even if the other will probably be top 10, Treloar-style :D )

I'm not even against the idea of trying to bring a guy like Beams back into the club, given the circumstances. Perfectly reasonable idea in isolation.

But combining the two? o_O . Those picks could have landed May, and he might really have been the final piece of the puzzle for Collingwood.

Anyway, we'll all get to watch it unfold, and it'll be good fun, one way or the other! :thumbsu:

Cost to us: zero

Cost to Essendon: plenty

Win-win.

You forgot the cost of an all expenses paid trip to Noosa in a private jet. Salary cap hit here you come. Amatuers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not against the idea of spending two first-rounders to try and pinch a flag. Reasonable proposition in isolation, especially when one of them is #18 (even if the other will probably be top 10, Treloar-style :D )

I'm not even against the idea of trying to bring a guy like Beams back into the club, given the circumstances. Perfectly reasonable idea in isolation.

But combining the two? o_O . Those picks could have landed May, and he might really have been the final piece of the puzzle for Collingwood.

Anyway, we'll all get to watch it unfold, and it'll be good fun, one way or the other! :thumbsu:

May was landed with pick 5 or 6. Our pick 18 and whatever our 1st rounder ends up being next year wasn't going to trump that. Hell we know it didn't because we tried for May before we tried for Beams.

Yeah, cos we blow our recruiting cap all the time :rolleyes: .

It comes out of the footy department cap? If I were Carlton i'd be siphoning that into the best recruiters and development coaches I could find. Getting your hands on early picks isn't an issue. Picking the right players and developing them into good players is.

Last edited:
May was landed with pick 5 or 6. Our pick 18 and whatever our 1st rounder ends up being next year wasn't going to trump that. Hell we know it didn't because we tried for May before we tried for Beams.

It is a fair point. Pity that Melbourne were prepared to overpay in the wake of Hogan's departure... even contracted, May was not worth a top-6 pick. Not to Melbourne, anyway...

It comes out of the footy department cap? If I were Carlton i'd be siphoning that into the best recruiters and development coaches I could find. Getting your hands on early picks isn't an issue. Picking the right players and developing them into good players appears to be an issue.

Sadly, we'd actually be better off if it did come out of the salary cap, because we're struggling to pay the minimum there. Time will tell with the development staff and VFL, but the problem has been acknowledged, and I'd like to think we could use our existing resources better anyway, Noosa flights or not :p .

Those picks could have landed May, and he might really have been the final piece of the puzzle for Collingwood.

May didn’t even finish top 10 in the Suns B&F despite playing 17 games and playing for the second worst team in the comp.

Yes, indeed it will be good fun one way or the other.

One way it’ll be fun for us ... :)

... the other way it’ll be fun for you :(

May was a huge get for Melbums the monster thug every Club needs in backline. Tuggers got a great pick-up in the Lynch - strengthems them for another dip. and you Collingworths got a favourite son back for another red hot go at a flag. Your Club liek the other two are in the window - so it is worth paying for teh extra factor X.

Essendon needed to add to midfield as does Carlton - they went all in too early ? Time will tell. Carlton now have three decent talls in forward line and Setterfield if he gets fit is a big bodied mid to add to Cripps - we are a couple of years all going well from being seriously competitive - in the meantime hopefully the side learns to be pesky trouble makers and not easy beats.

Good to see traditional Melbum tribes up and about - we need to do our bit to get back into the mix.

We didn't have anything better to do! All the business we were ever likely to do, was done last week.

And heaven forbid we get in the way of the geniuses paying two first-rounders for Beams :rainbow: .
You do realises our two first rounders are higher numbers because we finish near the top of the table;

Your first rounders are often number 1 because you’re a wooden spoon gatherer.

Monday joy :rainbow:

Now the off season is upon us and the draft ahead it's a usual time for day dreaming with today's one being rather eventful.

After reading Ben Silvagni's draft bio a vision came to me, In this vision we swooped in and took him late where he goes on to show promise over his debut season over his 2 games.

His second season he really starts to flourish, nailing a best 22 spot over the end of the season and playing a role in us going back to back premiers. He becomes a bit of a fan favourite with his dour style of play, however now out of contract & with offers from Carlton tough decisions are to be made...... He thinks about how much he's been enjoying his footy & the friendships & development made, he then thinks of his brother struggling down at the blues week after week and the inevitable boo's that will be ensuring. After much deliberation he decides to stick with the pies where he finishes a much loved multi premiership player. After his retirement he has a couple of boys that we nab as f/s picks, they end up becoming future guns whilst jacks kids struggle at Clarkson where the cycle continues, how hilarious would this be :tonguewink:

Now the off season is upon us and the draft ahead it's a usual time for day dreaming with today's one being rather eventful.

After reading Ben Silvagni's draft bio a vision came to me, In this vision we swooped in and took him late where he goes on to show promise over his debut season over his 2 games.

His second season he really starts to flourish, nailing a best 22 spot over the end of the season and playing a role in us going back to back premiers. He becomes a bit of a fan favourite with his dour style of play, however now out of contract & with offers from Carlton tough decisions are to be made...... He thinks about how much he's been enjoying his footy & the friendships & development made, he then thinks of his brother struggling down at the blues week after week and the inevitable boo's that will be ensuring. After much deliberation he decides to stick with the pies where he finishes a much loved multi premiership player. After his retirement he has a couple of boys that we nab as f/s picks, they end up becoming future guns whilst jacks kids struggle at Clarkson where the cycle continues, how hilarious would this be :tonguewink:
Well it’s could make his mum happy as she was a pie supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back