Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Jesse's weird hand movements were always the highlight of his post match interviews
He’s seriously jittery. I talked to him once for about two minutes and got a photo. I liked him and all but he has the hands plus an epic restless legs syndrome like he’s spent a few years on a haloperidol regime.

He’s seriously jittery. I talked to him once for about two minutes and got a photo. I liked him and all but he has the hands plus an epic restless legs syndrome like he’s spent a few years on a haloperidol regime.
He's even nervous doing voice overs

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's even nervous doing voice overs

He's a mercenary. Notice he doesn't say he's looking forward to playing for Fremantle. Just that he's look forward to preseason and getting into 2019. I don't think he gives a crap about what team he plays for, it's just for the cashola. This is part of the reason why I don't think he'll retire a champion of the game. Not enough fire in the belly.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon footy is more of a job than passion for him.

I don't blame him. If I'd been through what he has before the age of 25, I'd probably see life a whole lot differently too. It's probably hit him how fleeting our existence is on earth, so he's decided to spend it surfing with mates, getting his pick of the ladies at cottesloe pub and kicking a ball around for a fat paycheck. Happy for jesse and also happy for MFC to keep recruiting players that will shirtfront their own mother's to win a game of footy

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
47 goals in 20 games sounds great but i don't recall him doing anything in crunch games. Not sour grapes at all, I distinctly remember calling him out for this after the Swans game.

Anyway he's had a tough time of it and it sounds like we seperated amicably so best of luck to him. I have a strong feeling our compensation will help push is closer to a flag.

Plenty of champions, especially full forwards, didn't really give a toss. Hogan will be great, though he does need to figure the whole wrestle vs lead thing out before he really takes off.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Plenty of champions, especially full forwards, didn't really give a toss. Hogan will be great, though he does need to figure the whole wrestle vs lead thing out before he really takes off.

Yeah, I see a bit of plugger in jesse. I often though plug loathed being a footballer but cursed that he was so frigging good at it. Sort of bloke who would be infinitely more comfortable out on a farm somewhere in the middle of nowhere enjoying a quiet ale

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Completely different eras. Danny Frawley said he played on Brian Taylor a few times when he smelt like brewery having only had a couple hours sleep.

You'll never be a champion of modern AFL without working your **** off at training or on the field.
Blokes like Swan an Cousins still managed to enjoy their time off but the core was they loved playing and training.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
He's a mercenary. Notice he doesn't say he's looking forward to playing for Fremantle. Just that he's look forward to preseason and getting into 2019. I don't think he gives a crap about what team he plays for, it's just for the cashola. This is part of the reason why I don't think he'll retire a champion of the game. Not enough fire in the belly.
His manager is quoted in today's paper saying he's taken a pay cut to move to Freo; same article also mentions mental health issues as well. If either of those things are true I don't think the mercenary tag really fits.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
His manager is quoted in today's paper saying he's taken a pay cut to move to Freo; same article also mentions mental health issues as well. If either of those things are true I don't think the mercenary tag really fits.

He's only getting a pay cut because we were paying him 900k next year to be a large midfielder and he's taking 800 instead.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
He's only getting a pay cut because we were paying him 900k next year to be a large midfielder and he's taking 800 instead.
Point is though, the claims that he’s a mercenary and only moving because of a godfather offer etc aren’t strictly true. I think he just wanted to move to WA if we were prepared to trade him.

Who cares anyway? Plays for another team now.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Point is though, the claims that he’s a mercenary and only moving because of a godfather offer etc aren’t strictly true. I think he just wanted to move to WA if we were prepared to trade him.

Who cares anyway? Plays for another team now.

Well maybe that article about him wanting a mil was truthful after all. But yeah probably should close this thread. Can't see much good having this anymore.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I love Jesse. I played a gig once and he was there, so I assume he loves me as much as I love him. I spent the whole time watching him and he didn't even have one dart which sucked a bit because I was hoping I could stumble over to him when I finished and be like "Oh hey random person that doesn't look familiar at all, do you have a lighter? Oh wow, you're Jesse Hogan! How about that!?!". Anyway, He never smiled either, which is why I never really minded that he was surly on field because if he was listening to me do music he was clearly having the best time of his entire life but he still looked someone shat in his breakfast cereal. I bitched out of trying to straight up scam a ciggie of him so I just creep-followed him into the mens instead. Missed out by 30 seconds getting a view of his package at the urinal and have hated myself ever since. This is my claim to fame so far on this planet. Life goes on.

Bye Jesse, thanks for your service. Go Dees!

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Yeah, I see a bit of plugger in jesse. I often though plug loathed being a footballer but cursed that he was so frigging good at it. Sort of bloke who would be infinitely more comfortable out on a farm somewhere in the middle of nowhere enjoying a quiet ale
So I’m just like plugger and hogan! Yay (except obviously not talking football but my job)

Last edited:

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be a mercenary doesn't mean you will only go with the highest pay. I mean footy is a job for him, he doesn't look passionate as a player. He's in it for the money - money oriented career, that sort of mercenary. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about anything else in life - he obviously cares about being home in WA and being with his friends and family. He's just a footy mercenary - not a sociopath.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
To be a mercenary doesn't mean you will only go with the highest pay. I mean footy is a job for him, he doesn't look passionate as a player. He's in it for the money - money oriented career, that sort of mercenary. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about anything else in life - he obviously cares about being home in WA and being with his friends and family. He's just a footy mercenary - not a sociopath.
He’s going to, and was always only willing to go to, the team that he grew up supporting. I think he loves footy and he’ll love playing for Freo. But he’s probably not the most professional player rolling around in the AFL, he’s a natural talent so far.

So I think injury permitting, his best years are still ahead of him as he matures. Sucks to lose him, but we at least filled a big gap with a very good player.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I wouldn't call Hogan a merc at all but a bit like Watts footy is more his job rather than a passion.
Of course you wouldn’t. A mercenary is someone who values money over ethics - or alternatively in the military it’s a soldier for hire. Neither fit. Ando just never liked him much which is fine.

He’s found a new home now - as far as I’m concerned it’s thanks for your efforts and all the best.

But I’m looking forward hugely to what May can bring and getting a look at our backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back