Live Event 2018 Trade Period

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
With the need kick in rule, I am looking forward to Wilson kicking it 70m to Lobb/Hogan/Tabs leading to half-forward.
Running 20 metres out of the square from kick-ins with this new rule, banging it to the centre circle for Lobb to mark, spins around and hits Hogan on the lead 20 metres directly infront.

I think not having to touch it to your foot is going to speed the ball movement up massively.

I can envision plays where Stephen Hill is retrieving the ball from behind the goals while Wilson comes by on Hill's left at pace, the man on the mark starts running out to the right back pocket to block Wilson so Stephen takes off left, has a bounce and then bombs it long to the mark on the wing. Or he passes it to Wilson who does the same up the right side. If we score from plays like that the AFL will make sure any throwing of the ball inside the square is called a throw and free against.

Tabs and Lobb on a wing each depending on which way they go.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Lachie leaving enabled our successful trading period, he was a late pic and earned us a lot more when we sold him, an absolute professional, i wish him a lot of success, we owe him that at least
What makes it extra special is we got Lachie Neale off the Hawks when they traded his pick for Jarrad Boumann. They are basically our trading bunnies...

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Not sure if it has been posted up here, but Knightmare's rating for ESPN of our trade period. He caned us for the draft period last year (D), but here I think is pretty spot on;

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25000696/afl-trade-period-************-club-club-gradings

r196362_800x800_1-1.png

Fremantle

In: Travis Colyer, Reece Conca, Rory Lobb, Jesse Hogan, pick 14, pick 31, pick 43, pick 65
Out: Lachie Neale, pick 6, 2019 third-round pick, 2019 fourth-round pick

2018 Draft Picks: 14, 31, 43, 65, 81

Grade: A+

Rationale: Added potentially four players to their best 22 while losing just one and arguably improving their draft position. Fremantle's smart trading of picks improved the club's capacity to complete deals while simultaneously improving their draft position. The return received for Lachie Neale was strong and enabled Fremantle to further improve their draft position while contributing towards the Jesse Hogan trade. Hogan is the key forward Fremantle have long been seeking as one of the best in the game at his position and was received for less than would be expected of a key forward of his stature and age. Rory Lobb is an ideal list fit at a suitable price who as a key forward is a contested marking beast and ideally suited to relieving Aaron Sandilands or in the future Sean Darcy through the ruck. Reece Conca as a free agent, injuries permitting can earn a position inside Fremantle's best side. Travis Colyer is a solid pickup for a late pick and will inject speed.
D for drafting? How? We picked some gems, Cerra and Brayshaw clearly our future. Crowden started well, Gero can get the ball. People are sleeping on Switter and North. Watch them break in the 22 and surprise.

For a rebuild, the last three trade/FA period has been hugely successful. We got players in every line. Wilson as HB, Hamling as FB, B Hill Wing, Hogan as FF, Lobb CHF/Ruck. Significant list change.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
LDU may still well surpass Andy and Cez but thank f*** we didn't have to listen to the media bash us for taking LDU at 2 this year (assuming he would have been as poor for us).
There's always a 'bust' in each draft at the top end. Without exception. Maybe it's him.

2015: J Schache (2)
2014: Pickett (4)
2013: Sharenberg (6)
2012: O'Rourke (2) Toumpus (4)
2011: Buntine (5)
2010: Day (3)
2009: Morabito (4)
2008: Watts (1)
2007: Morton (4) Grant (5)
2006: Gumbleton (2) Thorp (6)
2005: Ellis (6) Dowler (6)
2004: Tambling (4)

etc etc etc...

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
There's always a 'bust' in each draft at the top end. Without exception. Maybe it's him.

etc etc etc...
Morabito? Nah that 2009 Draft bust belongs to Jack Trengrove. Pick number 2, delisted soon after

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haven’t posted in ages, but those doing the dealing have got me excited for the future. Kudos Rosich, bell and walls

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Steve Rosich.jpg

Hi Belly,
Thanks for taking the job. We've only got a week till the trade period so I thought I'd bring you up to speed considering you're in charge. We only have 1 pick in the draft and we desperately need some tall forwards. We've been chasing Hogan and Lobb for 5 years but they won't return our calls anymore. We need some depth to cover Lachie Neale leaving and probably need another three draft picks which we will require to continue the rebuild. Considering we have no list manager, you will need to do it all as well as manage the story in the media. They are like a pack of dogs and they have the smell of blood...

Belly.jpg

Hold my Beer

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Haven’t posted in ages, but those doing the dealing have got me excited for the future. Kudos Rosich, bell and walls
And totally out of whack with what we had a right to expect given Bell was a newbie. As happened with Weller, we have turned adversity into progress. Still shaking my head.

One of the things that I really like is that the club has a real clarity about what they will do if another club comes after one of our contracted boys. I also firmly believe that both Weller and Neale were looking after the club by getting the wheels in motion in their pre-free-agent year.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
D for drafting? How? We picked some gems, Cerra and Brayshaw clearly our future. Crowden started well, Gero can get the ball. People are sleeping on Switter and North. Watch them break in the 22 and surprise.

For a rebuild, the last three trade/FA period has been hugely successful. We got players in every line. Wilson as HB, Hamling as FB, B Hill Wing, Hogan as FF, Lobb CHF/Ruck. Significant list change.
Knightmare doesn't like Freo. Not sure the exact reason but I know Chris calls him out on his bull**** on the DT&FA board all the time so possibly related to that.

He also knows very little about us. Smugly tried to tell me last year that we would draft defenders after I said we had plenty. We took 10 players of which precisely zero were defenders.

Basically I would ignore it. Genuinely believe the average WA journo would know more about us.

She has a baby and quits her job.

Lachie plays away 10 times a year and she is looking after the baby by herself with no family support.

Baby doesn’t sleep well and she is all alone.

I bet they want a trade back.

and demand it's only to the Eagles ...

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmm I'm both happy and confused with our trade period. Hogan is an excellent acquisition and hopefully can improve our poor game plan. Lobb is a good one but now we have 7 players on the list that are competing for 1-2 ruck spots. I guess Strnadica get cut which is disappointing.

At the other end we bring in Coyler and now have 7 players under 180cm all competing for 1-2 small forward spots. This is very strange as most top teams now run with 1 forward this small.

Conca was ok and definitely needed with the loss of Neale.

I really rate what we did with draft picks but we now don't have the spots on the list to use them??? And development of our own players doesn't seem to be high on our agenda.

Overall I think we were big winners at trade week however I can't really remember a team that was a big winner at trade week and converted that into improved performances. Last year afl.com were calling Port and Bombers being the trade week winners and they both went backwards.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmm I'm both happy and confused with our trade period. Hogan is an excellent acquisition and hopefully can improve our poor game plan. Lobb is a good one but now we have 7 players on the list that are competing for 1-2 ruck spots. I guess Strnadica get cut which is disappointing.

At the other end we bring in Coyler and now have 7 players under 180cm all competing for 1-2 small forward spots. This is very strange as most top teams now run with 1 forward this small.

I really rate what we did with draft picks but we now don't have the spots on the list to use them??? And development of our own players doesn't seem to be high on our agenda.

Overall I think we were big winners at trade week however I can't really remember a team that was a big winner at trade week and converted that into improved performances. Last year afl.com were calling Port and Bombers being the trade week winners and they both went backwards.
Crows 5 sub 180cm includes Laird
Tigers have 7 includes Prestia
Eagles 5 includes Masten
Collingwood 6 includes Adams

So Richmond getting Prestia, Nankevis, and Caddy in 2016 didn’t make a difference in 2017?

Hawthorn getting Mitchell and O’Meara didn’t make a different?

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

There is a theory that in the NFL that getting players from other clubs has an initial negative effect. As good as the player is they need to learn the systems of the team and the team needs to accept them. When breaking down teams in statistics, the player might be a big plus, but has a negative associated to joining the new team. The more you bring in the bigger this negative value can be (Port is a good example of that last year).

Player from the draft don't often play much in their first year so their negative is smaller.

So it is possible we might go backwards next year. Although I doubt it, because I suspect the players we drafted fill holes in our team, covering the biggest negative areas for our team.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle