2019 Contracts - where do all the pieces land?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kimi to drive for Sauber next year, so the 2019 Ferrari seat is now up for grabs. Will no doubt be announced shortly (Leclerc)

If you told me at the start of this year that in 2019 we would see Raikkonen at Sauber, Leclerc at Ferrari and Ricciardo at Renault I'd have asked for what you were smoking because it was clearly powerful s**t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alexander Albon is the final name to add to the list of drivers for 2019:

Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc
Red Bull Racing - Max Verstappen, Pierre Gasly
Renault - Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hülkenberg
Haas - Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen
McLaren - Carlos Sainz Jr., Lando Norris
Force India* - Sergio Pérez, Lance Stroll
Sauber - Kimi Räikkönen, Antonio Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso - Daniil Kvyat, Alexander Albon
Williams - Robert Kubica, George Russell

* likely to be renamed

I actually find the Toro Rosso driver line up to be pretty underwhelming, although after being dropped from the Red Bull driver program in 2012 Albon has improved and is coming off 3rd place in the Formula 2 series this year.

So we will finally see the Schumacher name return to GP weekends in 2019 as Mick Schumacher has been confirmed to have a drive with Prema Racing next year in F2

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ma-racing-in-2019.1VKOaQggW0kAa8MMAsmG4U.html

Mick Schumacher has moved one step closer to following his famous father Michael and Uncle Ralf onto the F1 grid, with the news that he’ll continue his rapid rise up the motorsport ladder and compete in F2 with Prema Racing next season…

So we will finally see the Schumacher name return to GP weekends in 2019 as Mick Schumacher has been confirmed to have a drive with Prema Racing next year in F2

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ma-racing-in-2019.1VKOaQggW0kAa8MMAsmG4U.html

A logical step up for Schumacher. Schumacher has been associated with Prema since 2016 in F4 and F3, winning the F3 title this year. Prema have been competitive in F2 with Charles Le Clerk taking the F2 Championship in 2017 and DeVries finishing 4th with the team this year.

Schumacher already has the required 40 points for an FIA Super License (required for F1) due to finishing 2nd in F4 in 2016 (10 points) and winning F3 this year (30 points). He would need to finish 6th or better in F2 to keep his eligibility for a Super License.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did some tyre testing for an F1 team in 2019.

Very early days but looks like Hulk has the edge over Dan.

The Renault switch might backfire?
We are 2 practice sessions into a 20 race season

Daniel was always going to take longer to adjust to the car than Hulk. I do however worry that Daniel has made a mistake moving away from Red Bull on purely a performance measure. Red Bull look like they have closed somewhat the gap to the top 2.

I agree.

The Honda partnership looks strong. Working direct on engine pairing with chassis has huge benefit.

I expect RBR will sell to Honda in the coming years.

We are 2 practice sessions into a 20 race season

Daniel was always going to take longer to adjust to the car than Hulk. I do however worry that Daniel has made a mistake moving away from Red Bull on purely a performance measure. Red Bull look like they have closed somewhat the gap to the top 2.

Agree. It is very early days.

Watching qualifying now, Red Bull seem massively off the pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back