Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Wooden Spoon: Pick 1, baby!

Votes: 36 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fixed that for you.
Somehow not as interesting
s-l1000.jpg

Bearing Collingwood in round 23 with the winner making the eight and the loser missing out would be the dream

Christ I think that’d finish me off. Imagine the stress if it was scores even 60s to go. We’d need ash McGrath back out there and an ambulance for me.

Christ I think that’d finish me off. Imagine the stress if it was scores even 60s to go. We’d need ash McGrath back out there and an ambulance for me.

James Aish turnover to our pick 18 to win us the game.

Would probably die happy tbh.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Death ride c'wood if only to stick it to McGuire otherwise meh. Have a slight soft spot for dockers. Will happily watch GC burn.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm pretty confident that the Pies first pick will be better than 17-18.

They managed 15 wins with a bottom-six difficulty fixture,so we'll see how well they do with a much harder one (in theory) next season. It's easy to forget that until finals time, they had only beaten one top eight side (Melbourne).

If we get scheduled for two games against them and win at least one of them (likely at the Gabba), that would be huge.

Not only can we enjoy every Pie failure and feel disappointment at every Pie success (ie par for the course in any year) but we get to miss out on all those near-the-end-of-season posts about how it would be better to lose game x because of better draft picks.

While I would love the Pies to get a spoon next year realistically I would be delighted if we were to finish above them on the ladder - the earlier suggestion of us winning in the last round and them losing (even if we are not playing each other) leading to a Lions 8 Pies 9 finish ... *YESSSSS*

I can't death ride the Coast or the dockers, respect and empathy for both, but Collingwood.
Every loss is going to be as good as a win for us so theoretically we can win twice in one week.

Gold Coast will be death-riding us since they've got our first. I think when we have our first loss and a few Suns supporters are dropping by it'll be pretty easy.

Gold Coast will be death-riding us since they've got our first. I think when we have our first loss and a few Suns supporters are dropping by it'll be pretty easy.

We'll be sure to make coffees for two.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well not really - the article is literally just pointing out Collingwood has moved from the bottom 6 bucket for draws to the top 6, and NM to the middle 6. Don't expect them to be noticeably harder than anyone else in the respective bucket.
Yep. Just trying to convince the footy public early. Poor buggers might have to play an extra game against a ‘decent’ team.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally, I feel that they over achieved this year (or I am a terrible judge of a teams capability).
Not sure that you can over achieve being one kick away from a granny. Yeah they hard an easier draw. But to beat everytime bar the last by a kick means Collingwood were very much in the pic.

It's a tough one. I'm holding my expectations as a bottom four pick - 15-18. Though there is potential there.

Pies really weren't that good in the first half of the year. After 10 rounds they were sitting in 8th spot, saved from 9th by Port being a game behind (China bye). Unfortunately, I think they'll have gained a lot of confidence from their finals series, and while they definitely hit a purple patch at the end of the season, I think the confidence will carry them through to another high finish

That said, that area is going to be very crowded again next year. I think Essendon will make the most of their AFL-assisted cheating and push up. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Port do better than expected.

I'm looking at next year like this:

Top end - Richmond
Next band - Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood, Essendon, GWS, Geelong
Finals fight - North, Port, Hawthorn, Sydney
Outside the finals - Brisbane, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Fremantle
Bottom Rung - St Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast

This is my predicted ladder order, which has Pies 4th, but finishing anywhere 2-7.

Going to be a fun death-ride.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's a tough one. I'm holding my expectations as a bottom four pick - 15-18. Though there is potential there.

Pies really weren't that good in the first half of the year. After 10 rounds they were sitting in 8th spot, saved from 9th by Port being a game behind (China bye). Unfortunately, I think they'll have gained a lot of confidence from their finals series, and while they definitely hit a purple patch at the end of the season, I think the confidence will carry them through to another high finish

That said, that area is going to be very crowded again next year. I think Essendon will make the most of their AFL-assisted cheating and push up. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Port do better than expected.

I'm looking at next year like this:

Top end - Richmond
Next band - Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood, Essendon, GWS, Geelong
Finals fight - North, Port, Hawthorn, Sydney
Outside the finals - Brisbane, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Fremantle
Bottom Rung - St Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast

This is my predicted ladder order, which has Pies 4th, but finishing anywhere 2-7.

Going to be a fun death-ride.

There’s no reason why West Coast shouldn’t be in the top rung. They are reigning premiers and have only made one change to their main side. With Gaff and NicNat back there’s no reason why they’d be a tier below Richmond. Richmond gained Lynch but lost a lot of depth players that were first in come injuries. I feel like they could suffer a bit if they have anything other than a minor injury list next year.

There’s no reason why West Coast shouldn’t be in the top rung. They are reigning premiers and have only made one change to their main side. With Gaff and NicNat back there’s no reason why they’d be a tier below Richmond. Richmond gained Lynch but lost a lot of depth players that were first in come injuries. I feel like they could suffer a bit if they have anything other than a minor injury list next year.
Free Agency is just that ridiculous. You get a great player, and you still get decent draft access. I would completely agree with you except that I think that Richmond were already the best team in the comp, and lacked just one thing - a foil for Jack. They now have that foil, and didn't have to give up anything to procure him.

West Coast, I'd have them top 4 comfortably, and I was glad to have them win instead of the pies. I rate them, but I just have Richmond that far ahead of the competition.

Of course, the beauty of the game - we've seen over the last few years what can happen. Bulldogs win from 7th, Richmond win 2017, improve, become minor premiers, and one substandard game knocks you out. That's the way it goes.

I could theoretically create another category with West Coast and Melbourne in it. But it seems overkill, and I wouldn't be surprised to a see any of the teams I have in that band finishing above them.

Back