Traded Dayne Beams [traded with #41 and #43 to Collingwood for #18, #56 and future 1st round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

We landed a huge fish in Beams and a decent back-up defender in Roughead.
We'll be able to draft the two highly rated NGA and F/S we were always aiming at.
We kept our list together in spite of offers from other clubs.
Sounds like a pretty successful draft/trade period to me.

There's a long way to go before next year's draft -we may be in draft points deficit in September, but maybe not after the dust settles in October.

Just like how you gave up a 1st round pick for Polec?

North gave up a 1st for Polec, Pittard, and picks in return.

So, no. Not 'just like' it.

To state that you paid two first rounders isnt twisting anything, that's what the deal cost.

If you have points to do other stuff that's great.
I understand, but we got more than Beams in return for those two first rounders.

I'm not so sure about that....

I'm no expert on this, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all clubs have to take at least 3 picks from the ND.

Even without that rider there's not enough points in the picks you have to cover both players, eg;

pick #14 with 20% = 929 points
pick #24 with 20% = 615 points
For a total of 1544 points

PIcks #41,#44, #51 and #57 only add up to 1215 points meaning that you'll have to go into deficit next year on your round 2 pick (cos you don't have a round 1) to the tune of 329 points. Based on ladder position for 2018 that 2nd round pick is currently 35, if you take the deficit off then you are left with 193 points which is the equivalent of pick 56.

So, yes you are correct that both those boys can be picked up, but you have to factor in the loss of both 1st rounders and a downgrade of next years 2nd to a late 3rd.

*Edit And if you have to use 57 this year for a 'live' pick then that completely eliminates next years 2nd round pick.

The best hope is that Blakey and Thomas get bid on earlier and that wipes out a few Swans and North picks and gives then an upgraded pick. It’ll probably work out that way but it’s a risk.

Between 38 and the end of the 3rd round the Swans, North and Collingwood have 13 picks between them. The Swans picks should be live but the rest will disappear.

I understand, but we got more than Beams in return for those two first rounders.
And yeh those will add points to your academy targets. But I guess the big deficit will come in next years draft.

Either way Beams is a gun player, but I just think your list could have been improved more (more bang for buck) with a defender or forward.

And yeh those will add points to your academy targets. But I guess the big deficit will come in next years draft.

Either way Beams is a gun player, but I just think your list could have been improved more (more bang for buck) with a defender or forward.
I agree but we already have that forward and defender on our list. The way i see it for 2019 we will "trade in' Moore (2 full games) , Elliott (zero games) , Reid / Dunn (handful / 10 games approx), Beams, Quaynor & Kelly.

Forward, defence, midfield and youth all added to for 2019 that wasn't there for all / most of 2018.

The best hope is that Blakey and Thomas get bid on earlier and that wipes out a few Swans and North picks and gives then an upgraded pick. It’ll probably work out that way but it’s a risk.

Between 38 and the end of the 3rd round the Swans, North and Collingwood have 13 picks between them. The Swans picks should be live but the rest will disappear.

Good post. Hadnt thought about the draft condensing when multiple picks are being used to match bids.

And nobody wants to say it, but I think lots of people on here owe Damien Barrett an apology for what was said about him. He’s done some shady things in the past, but he absolutely nailed this and it was probably the most impressive story grab in years

LOL once. Calm down haha, by that token, our whole team was VFL standard that day, yet only lost by 5 odd goals.

Beams is a massive get, but hardly a need. That said, no club in contention knocks back a gun midfielder.

Hopefully the pies didnt just have a good September run and can back up with another top 4 finish next year with a much harder draw otherwise this trade will prove very costly. 2 mids in the last few years for 4 x 1st rounders is concerning if you cant maintain the form.
You fail to mention that in the year we traded 2 first rounders for Treloar in 2015 we still managed to trade for Howe and picked up Sier (pick#32) and Phillips (pick#58).
The following year (2016) without a first round pick we picked up our 2 father/sons in Callum Brown and Josh Daicos and were able to trade for Dunne and Hoskin-Elliott.
Didn't affect our list management....
(Used our top 10 pick last year wisely in acquiring Rising Star winner Stephenson too...and picked up Mihocek and Appleby as rookies.)

This year pick 18 would have been a waste - better to be part of the trade for Beams as long as we get enough points in lower picks to cover Quanor and Kelly who are more than acceptable recruits potential/talent wise.
We still have enough younger players in our demographic coming through to be able to recruit Beams.
Treloar was also considered to be an 8-10 year player for our club when he was recruited so worth the price paid.

Last edited:
You fail to mention that in the year we traded 2 first rounders for Treloar in 2015 we still managed to trade for Howe and picked up Sier (pick#32) and Phillips (pick#58).
The following year (2016) without a first round pick we picked up our 2 father/sons in Callum Brown and Josh Daicos and were able to trade for Dunne and Hoskin-Elliott.
Didn't affect our list management....
(Used our top 10 pick last year wisely in acquiring Rising Star winner Stephenson too...and picked up Mihocek and Appleby as rookies.)

This year pick 18 would have been a waste - better to be part of the trade for Beams as long as we get enough points in lower picks to cover Quanor and Kelly who are more than acceptable recruits potential/talent wise.
We still have enough younger players in our demographic coming through to be able to recruit Beams.
Treloar was also considered to be an 8-10 year player for our club when he was recruited so worth the price paid.
I didnt mention all that because it doesnt change the fact you have given up 4 x 1st rounders for 2 mids as I said.

Hey if you win a flag, who cares, but giving up that much if you dont, hmmmm.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And nobody wants to say it, but I think lots of people on here owe Damien Barrett an apology for what was said about him. He’s done some shady things in the past, but he absolutely nailed this and it was probably the most impressive story grab in years
That will never happen. The nuffies on this site thinks he gets everything wrong lol

Did the Pies really need him tho? Thier midfield is stacked I feel like the Pies only got him for the sake of Beams being back at Collingwood imo

It's a luxury no doubt, moreso than a need.

But when you have a quality player that wants to join your club- you are obligated to get them in.
To be honest- Beams fills me with much more confidence in terms of what we are buying than May or Lynch for example who would have been on 5-6 year deals anywhere between $800k-$1m per year each.

it also adds to the romance of a favourite son returning.

Let's not forget our draft hand this year is somewhat irrelevant because of the academy player/FS prospect- so we haven't "mortgaged our future".

I'm not so sure about that....

I'm no expert on this, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all clubs have to take at least 3 picks from the ND.

Even without that rider there's not enough points in the picks you have to cover both players, eg;

pick #14 with 20% = 929 points
pick #24 with 20% = 615 points
For a total of 1544 points

PIcks #41,#44, #51 and #57 only add up to 1215 points meaning that you'll have to go into deficit next year on your round 2 pick (cos you don't have a round 1) to the tune of 329 points. Based on ladder position for 2018 that 2nd round pick is currently 35, if you take the deficit off then you are left with 193 points which is the equivalent of pick 56.

So, yes you are correct that both those boys can be picked up, but you have to factor in the loss of both 1st rounders and a downgrade of next years 2nd to a late 3rd.

*Edit And if you have to use 57 this year for a 'live' pick then that completely eliminates next years 2nd round pick.
whilst i agree with this. does it actually matter, eg) if some other team(s) pick him say in the top #10 then he "" must "" be good so it's still a bargain. and if teams don't pick him and he goes into the 20's + then again no harm done given we were likley to pick the anyway with the pick 18. either way the net result of Beams, Kelly and Quaynor is Pick 18 and you would think pick 12-18 next year. so it's a win

whilst i agree with this. does it actually matter, eg) if some other team(s) pick him say in the top #10 then he "" must "" be good so it's still a bargain. and if teams don't pick him and he goes into the 20's + then again no harm done given we were likley to pick the anyway with the pick 18. either way the net result of Beams, Kelly and Quaynor is Pick 18 and you would think pick 12-18 next year. so it's a win

It really depends on Quaynor attracting a bid before pick 18. If he does then it's a decent trade for Collingwood. Or are there different rules for NGA players?

The reality is, it simply wasn't what we wanted to hear, so we pretended it wasn't happening. Far more palatable that Barrett was wrong than Beams wanting out two weeks after publicly recommitting.

We landed a huge fish in Beams and a decent back-up defender in Roughead.
We'll be able to draft the two highly rated NGA and F/S we were always aiming at.
We kept our list together in spite of offers from other clubs.
Sounds like a pretty successful draft/trade period to me.

There's a long way to go before next year's draft -we may be in draft points deficit in September, but maybe not after the dust settles in October.

Spot on, you paid overs in my opinion but you still have F/S pick which will give you a top pick this year, plus you are well and truly in your window, pick wouldnt have been much of a help next year but beams makes your midfield scarily good next year.

We did similar with May, paid overs but the player we really need to out ourselves in a position to win the flag next year.

You have a great side going into 2019, looking forward to Queens Birthday.

It really depends on Quaynor attracting a bid before pick 18. If he does then it's a decent trade for Collingwood. Or are there different rules for NGA players?
I believe he falls under the same rules as F/S. but i'm sure someone can clarify. @ bungalow my point is though if he does no get a bid before 18 then it's still no harm done because we were / are always going to pick him. so if the get's all the way to pick 44 then nothing is really lost.

Whilst we might have been better off getting a forward or defender, just which one were we going to get?

GC weren’t going to give us May for pick 18 and I didn’t see any big forwards either, so you take the best available option and Beams improv s this team even if it’s an area that doesn’t need it.

However, as good as our midfield is, they got smashed in the GF, I can’t see any team successfully stopping all of Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury in one game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back