Politics Centrelink

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Will you ever stop repeating banal nonsense and actually think for yourself?
Welfare payments are means tested. They will never ever be eliminated. You can make it as hard as possible for welfare recipients it won't make an iota difference to the quantum of the budget spend on welfare.
Amusing you accuse me of making a straw man and you do it continually.

You are putting 2 + 2 together and making 7

Where did i say i want welfare payments eliminated?
I said there are plenty of people who don't want to work...who don't want a job.

How you interpret that statement.... well.. It's obvious how you interpret it

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
This whole forum: people who only post in this sub-forum and nowhere else are generally West Coast Eagles supporters and/or (more and) Liberal supporters.

Amusing you accuse me of making a straw man and you do it continually.

You are putting 2 + 2 together and making 7

Where did i say i want welfare payments eliminated?
I said there are plenty of people who don't want to work...who don't want a job.

How you interpret that statement.... well.. It's obvious how you interpret it

Nice try.

You have made more than 1 post on this particular topic.
Looking at all of your posts, the conclusion to draw is fairly obvious.

Here I'll start off your next post...

I'm not a dole bludger basher but...

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I bet it's knowing one or 2 people they think is probably scamming the system and then somehow expanded that to 'dozens' over their town/suburb. Then over the whole country it it equates to 100s of thousands!

I could go to the suburb I grew up in right now and easily find you 100s that don't want to work, have never done any meaningful work and quite a few are 2 and 3 generation households that have never had workers / positive role models in them.

I'll actually be there this morning picking up a couple of mates to go to another mate's 50th down at Warrnambool.

We'll be supporting a great many of these people for the entirety of their productive, adult lives.

You look at job ads in Geelong and it's aged care, child care, superstar baristas, bar staff and temporary event staff.

Since I was a teenager, the amount of manufacturing jobs that have gone or have declined is staggering for a place that size. No wonder half the population commutes to Melbourne each day.

Ford, Alcoa, Pilkingtons, Hendersons, International Harvester, Godfrey Hurst, Shell (mostly) all the smaller component manufacturers that piggy backed off the larger ones. Other businesses that supported the larger ones, crane hiring, scaffolding, cleaning, labor hire / temp workers.

Government owned utilities are the other big ones that disappeared along with all the apprentices they trained.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I could go to the suburb I grew up in right now and easily find you 100s that don't want to work, have never done any meaningful work and quite a few are 2 and 3 generation households that have never had positive role models in them.
What was it like growing up in Kalkeith? Were you neighbours with Gina Rinehart?

We'll be supporting a great many of these people for the entirety of their productive, adult lives.
It's horrible isn't it. The money would be much better spent on making sure people have food and shelter.

I could go to the suburb I grew up in right now and easily find you 100s that don't want to work, have never done any meaningful work and quite a few are 2 and 3 generation households that have never had workers / positive role models in them.

I'll actually be there this morning picking up a couple of mates to go to another mate's 50th down at Warrnambool.

You look at job ads in Geelong and it's aged care, child care, superstar baristas, bar staff and temporary event staff.

Since I was a teenager, the amount of manufacturing jobs that have gone or have declined is staggering for a place that size. No wonder half the population commutes to Melbourne each day.

Ford, Alcoa, Pilkingtons, Hendersons, International Harvester, Godfrey Hurst, Shell (mostly) all the smaller component manufacturers that piggy backed off the larger ones. Other businesses that supported the larger ones, crane hiring, scaffolding, cleaning, labor hire / temp workers.

Government owned utilities are the other big ones that disappeared along with all the apprentices they trained.

To me what you are describing is a massive concern.
Our economy seems to be based on.
1. Bring in Immigrants without expanding the police/transport/other infrastructure.
2. Build houses for them , sell them coffee mow their lawns for them.
3. Sell coffee to the people buildiing and mowing.
4. Mow for the people building and selling coffee.
5. Sell stuff imported from china at a big markup to those in 1,2,3,4.
6 Look after the kids from above.
7 Loan money to the above

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Turnbull sort of tried to work around that with the narrative Start your own Business. A variation is "The Internet is here everyone start your own business" Which in some respects is true but unless you have a skill/product/resource that is going to force someone to open their wallet you will lose a ton of money in the hope.

Also I think that being a genuine 'start-up' entrepreneur (as opposed to someone who has a pre-existing list of clients upon starting a business) requires a certain personality that most people just don't have IMO.

I have also previously noted on this forum that third-world countries like Bangladesh and Benin are heavily entrepreneurial, much more so than Western countries in fact, so I'm not sure why neoliberals and right-wingers push the idea as a solution to our employment/economic woes. Maybe it is because they lack a genuine understanding of third-world economies.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
To me what you are describing is a massive concern.
Our economy seems to be based on.
1. Bring in Immigrants without expanding the police/transport/other infrastructure.
2. Build houses for them , sell them coffee mow their lawns for them.
3. Sell coffee to the people buildiing and mowing.
4. Mow for the people building and selling coffee.
5. Sell stuff imported from china at a big markup to those in 1,2,3,4.
6 Look after the kids from above.
7 Loan money to the above
Classic Ponzi scheme
keep loading the plane with paying customers

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Nice try.

You have made more than 1 post on this particular topic.
Looking at all of your posts, the conclusion to draw is fairly obvious.

Here I'll start off your next post...

I'm not a dole bludger basher but...
Your conclusions are clouded by your bias. It stops you being able to engage sensibly on many topics and has the effect of you attempting to reduce debate down to black and white issues.

Anyway... like i said here the last few days. There are plenty of people on benefits who don't want to work.
A few posters get worked up and come to the defence of these people or claim that it isnt the case.

You choose to see that as me slagging them off as some bludgers.
In reality I see some of them as being inherently more sensible than the majority of people who are wage slaves.

If you weren't falling over yourself to shine as a protector of the (in your mind) oppressed and disadvantaged you might be able to digest some different opinions

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Turnbull did try to talk about the changing economy but was told by his backbench to stop it because it scared their voters, and this is the problem with this government, blaming the voters for being scared to justify no economic plan and then blaming the ALP and everyone else for pointing out its policy failures. I doubt Turnbull will miss this lot.

Your conclusions are clouded by your bias. It stops you being able to engage sensibly on many topics and has the effect of you attempting to reduce debate down to black and white issues.

Anyway... like i said here the last few days. There are plenty of people on benefits who don't want to work.
A few posters get worked up and come to the defence of these people or claim that it isnt the case.

In reality I see some of them as being inherently more sensible than the majority of people who are wage slaves.

If you weren't falling over yourself to shine as a protector of the (in your mind) oppressed and disadvantaged you might be able to digest some different opinions

LOL

"Plenty of people on benefits that don't want to work" --- How would you know this? Anything of substance to support this claim or are you just repeating banal nonsense that you hear on Today Tonight?

"Getting worked up" --- you write banal nonsense then you expect people to give you a sensible response. Why don't you start by avoiding the banal nonsense?

"falling over yourself to shine as a protector" --- oh dear, there is a hay shortage you know. You could help by giving the strawmen a miss.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

The question is have they told you they don't want to work or are you assuming it, also are they being serious or just bullshitting you because they know your views, a bit like the girl in Sydney that made out to the Daily Telegraph that she was happy on the dole when in fact she had a job at Maccas.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
People that make assumptions should stop to think before doing so, I know a person that gets around in bum like cloths and seems to be at home a lot, so you might assume he is unemployed but there is a thing called working from home and this person does that and is on a six figure income but you would never know it from the way he dresses.

The question is have they told you they don't want to work or are you assuming it, also are they being serious or just bullshitting you because they know your views, a bit like the girl in Sydney that made out to the Daily Telegraph that she was happy on the dole when in fact she had a job at Maccas.

No doubt there are people who aren't interested in getting a job...but you'd have to have a screw loose to choose a lifestyle where your only income is $300 a week.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
It's unfair to assume people want to be on the dole?
But ok to assume people don't want to be on the dole?

That is because people who assume people want to be on the dole then treat all unemployed as one group, whereas if they didn't then no one would care because there is something wrong with anyone that wants to be on the dole.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

Very common sense and accurate post.

A vast majority of the posters on this political thread and forum are on welfare payments themselves including the one your talking to and don’t work or are uneducated ( or took some piece of s**t arts degree that ended up worthless)

I have known of plenty of people over the years that put up advertisements for senior engineering positions and receive 100+ applicants from dole bludgers.

The reason they do this is because they don’t want to work and are making unrealistic applications to satisfy the Centre link criteria of job hunting, with no real intention of ever working.

Why should everyday Australian who are hard working have to open their wallets to hand over money to these losers??

Put hardworking Australians first for a change

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Hahaha well done son.

berleyaway.jpg

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I've known and know dozens of people like this.
The only reason, over time, to be unaware of this is by assuming that everyone wants to work.
This just isn't the case.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I've known and know dozens of people like this.
The only reason, over time, to be unaware of this is by assuming that everyone wants to work.
This just isn't the case.
Do they have a whole lot of negatively geared rental properties, a trust fund and fully franked shares in the super funds?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
What was it like growing up in Kalkeith? Were you neighbours with Gina Rinehart?

It's horrible isn't it. The money would be much better spent on making sure people have food and shelter.

I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore for years, you don't contribute anything. Do you have any real life, personal experiences yourself? Have you ever engaged or contributed to society in any sort of meaningful way in your whole adult life?

I was unaware that Kalgoorlie (I guess that's what you're trying to allude to) ever had any of the manufacturers that I mentioned in my previous post.

Back