List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd trade 43 and 65 for a future 3rd & 4th and 2 2018 picks in the 90-150 range.

Delist three player, promos to re-rookie two.

Use two picks

Save end pick for Carter & Medhat if somebody picks them.

We have cover for our NGA picks and can pickup players we want and Cat b our NGA player if not selected.

Go six rookies resigning 2 delisted players.
I really like your way of thinking.

Rosich on radio was very pleased by having four picks in this draft.

Trading out 43 makes sense to me but I would keep 65 for Carter.

We will take 4 picks to the draft and will have to de list 3 contracted players. The Bennell smoke must have been fire
By my count we have 38 contracted players. If we are to use four picks there must be two more delistings. With Colyer coming in could one be Ballaz? Kersten has also be talked about, but according to Bell Harley Bennel is safe. I think Stramidica has the most potential of Jones, Meeks and Apeness (who I would've said had the most if he hadn't got injured again) but he is also unsigned. Perhaps we do what we did with DeLuca and de-list then rookie Jones and delist Apeness or Kersten. That would leave us with four picks and only one contract to pay out. We have two vacancies on the rookie list if Stramidica is unsigned. One for Medhat and one for Jones possibly. Another option is to move up the draft by combining picks 31 and 43for one pick and keeping 65 for Carter and then de-list and rookie Jones resulting in no payouts and not adding to our salary cap. If we did that then we should ask a wafl club to take on board one or two of Apeness, Meeks and Jones as they won't get enough game time if they stay at Peel. Personally id delist Kersten, Apeness and Ballantyne with Jones de-listed and rookied. Giving us five picks in the draft. With the last two for Carter and Medhat.

By my count we have 38 contracted players. If we are to use four picks there must be two more delistings. With Colyer coming in could one be Ballaz? Kersten has also be talked about, but according to Bell Harley Bennel is safe. I think Stramidica has the most potential of Jones, Meeks and Apeness (who I would've said had the most if he hadn't got injured again) but he is also unsigned. Perhaps we do what we did with DeLuca and de-list then rookie Jones and delist Apeness or Kersten. That would leave us with four picks and only one contract to pay out. We have two vacancies on the rookie list if Stramidica is unsigned. One for Medhat and one for Jones possibly. Another option is to move up the draft by combining picks 31 and 43for one pick and keeping 65 for Carter and then de-list and rookie Jones resulting in no payouts and not adding to our salary cap. If we did that then we should ask a wafl club to take on board one or two of Apeness, Meeks and Jones as they won't get enough game time if they stay at Peel. Personally id delist Kersten, Apeness and Ballantyne with Jones de-listed and rookied. Giving us five picks in the draft. With the last two for Carter and Medhat.

Medhat will be cat b if he is a rookie

This is outside the normal list.

Agree with everything else .

Would they tap Sandilands on the shoulder?

They won’t be cutting Ballas, Kersten or Bennell.
I don't think so Sandi will get moved on.

I think they know he is our best option for our most immediately competitive side, and the market has put enough pressure on for the team to push up.

3 players plus the out of contract players.

3 + these players delisted Brady Grey, Tommy Sheridan, Luke Strnadica, Cameron Sutcliffe.

Only 2 if we have 40 on the main list.

We have 39 on the list after we delist these guys. Nads is a rookie so I'd keep him.

4 picks one spot does not add up.

Need to cut contracted players.

Last edited:
I think next year there could be up to 6 or 7 moved on or retired. I say up to, since we don’t know what Barra will do next. But Sandi and Balla should retire, they’ll take the opportunity to throw out Bennell, Kersten is on shaky ground, as will be McArthy if he doesn’t improve.

We have too many rucks:
Born in 1995: Apeness and Jones
Born in 1998: Darcy, Meek, Strnadica

1995: I think that one of Apeness or Jones will be delisted and either paid out or delisted with the promise to be redrafted to the Rookie list.

1998: Strnadica out of contract - likely to be delisted. I think that Meek a chance of being delisted with the promise to be redrafted to the Rookie list.

The net result is two main list spots freed up.

I’m unsure of the status of Apeness’ hamstring injury. If he is recovered and ready for a full pre-season I would
Keep him and pay out Jones. We could tell Jones we will monitor his year in the WAFL with a view to redraft potentially in 2019.

With Strnadica uncontracted sadly he will be delisted unless they feel he has more promise than Meek. Meek to be delisted and drafted to the rookie list.

That and we run with 40 on the main list will allow for us to have 4 ND picks.

Just my view.

Last edited:
We have too many rucks:
Born in 1995: Apeness and Jones
Born in 1998: Darcy, Meek, Strnadica

1995: I think that one of Apeness or Jones will be delisted and either paid out or delisted with the promise to be redrafted to the Rookie list.

1998: Strnadica out of contract - likely to be delisted. I think that Meek a chance of being delisted with the promise to be redrafted to the Rookie list.

The net result is two main list spots freed up.

I’m unsure of the status of Apeness’ hamstring injury. If he is recovered and ready for a full pre-season I would
Keep him and pay out Jones. We could tell Jones we will monitor his year in the WAFL with a view to redraft potentially in 2019.

With Strnadica uncontracted sadly he will be delisted unless they feel he has more promise than Meek. Meek to be delisted and drafted to the rookie list.

That and we run with 40 on the main list will allow for us to have 4 ND picks.

Just my view.
Stranadica & Giro are rookies and doesn’t count towards spots

Carl Langdon asked Belly about Bennell and Kerstenso goo chance they are gone. Apeness is the other that will likely get the chop.

They will have to pay out the difference of their contracts to that of a rookie contract if they rookie them

Carl Langdon asked Belly about Bennell and Kerstenso goo chance they are gone. Apeness is the other that will likely get the chop.

They will have to pay out the difference of their contracts to that of a rookie contract if they rookie them
I know they are rookies. If we run with 40 & 4 (one less rookie), I was suggesting the potential of Meek effectively replacing Strnadica on the rookie list. Off the main list for eg Jones and Meek.

Colin Young was interviewed on the final morning of trade week and indicated that his client Bennell was assured of a list spot but had been made acutely aware that this is his very last chance. Also managed to have a bit of dig at our Conditioning team that he wasn’t well managed. Was a fair call I thought.

Peter Bell was asked on Wed evening by Karl Langdon whether Kersten had a year remaining which Bell confirmed and seemed to indicate that he would be on the list for 2019. Plus he is handy KPD depth. He was probably told to get cracking with his fitness etc. Not sure what Kersten’s deal was in the preseason but he seemed to be forever running laps.

I personally believe that those re-signed late into the season (ie Apeness, Ballantyne, Bennell) will be on the list next year.

Nhyhuis whilst re-contracted could be another delisted and redrafted to the rookie list. He may have been promised another spot on the list whether that means the main list or rookie list only time will tell.

Potentially if Jones is delisted and Sandi retires mid season Jones could be redrafted for the new mid-season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have Fremantle ever renewed a contract and then attempted to back out of it? Including players who have been promised, at worst, a place on the rookie list?

Unless there was breach of contract (e.g., probably Yarran) I'm not sure they would, even if they could, as it would seriously damage the club's brand in the eyes of the player community.

I know they are rookies. If we run with 40 & 4 (one less rookie), I was suggesting the potential of Meek effectively replacing Strnadica on the rookie list. Off the main list for eg Jones and Meek.

Colin Young was interviewed on the final morning of trade week and indicated that his client Bennell was assured of a list spot but had been made acutely aware that this is his very last chance. Also managed to have a bit of dig at our Conditioning team that he wasn’t well managed. Was a fair call I thought.

Peter Bell was asked on Wed evening by Karl Langdon whether Kersten had a year remaining which Bell confirmed and seemed to indicate that he would be on the list for 2019. Plus he is handy KPD depth. He was probably told to get cracking with his fitness etc. Not sure what Kersten’s deal was in the preseason but he seemed to be forever running laps.

I personally believe that those re-signed late into the season (ie Apeness, Ballantyne, Bennell) will be on the list next year.

Nhyhuis whilst re-contracted could be another delisted and redrafted to the rookie list. He may have been promised another spot on the list whether that means the main list or rookie list only time will tell.

Potentially if Jones is delisted and Sandi retires mid season Jones could be redrafted for the new mid-season draft.
Nyhuis signed a contract for the main list a week and a bit ago. I thought he showed plenty towards the end of last year. No chance he will be delisted and rookied. If we can draft Medhat as a Cat B rookie then I think we should de-list and rookie Jones and Meeks and then pay out Apeness unfortunately I cant see him making it.

Interested to know what Bell said to Karl said on apeness? Our rookies are Giro and Duman as far as I can tell, with Stramidica not offered a contract yet. If we rookied Jones and Meeks after de-listing then we have to honour the contract they got when drafted but the difference isnt huge by any stretch. Other teams can still pick them as rookies and we pay the difference on our cap. Not the end of the world and a price worth having five draft picks for. The money could be saved by adding a coaching component to Sandy's salary (and reducing his playing salary) which is what the Eagles did in Dean Cox's last year.

Have met Sheridan a couple of times socially and is a terrific guy. Very sad to see him go. A classic player that is way too good for wafl but not quite afl. Would’ve liked him on the list for one more year.

Looking forward to the end of 2019. We still have another 13 players who need to show to something during the year. I really hope we do not rush the resigning of them like we did this year.

Retire
31 Aaron Sandilands 211 118 WA 35 years, 10 months
1 Hayden Ballantyne 173 79 WA 31 years, 3 months
Retire or 1 year
16 David Mundy 192 91 VIC 33 years, 3 months

Extend
21 Joel Hamling 194 90 WA 25 years, 6 months
19 Connor Blakely 188 90 WA 22 years, 7 months
32 Stephen Hill 183 81 WA 28 years, 5 months
26 Ed Langdon 182 78 VIC 22 years, 8 months
2 Griffin Logue 193 95 WA 20 years, 6 months

I don't think there is a guarantee any of these players will be on our list at the end of 2019.

18 Darcy Tucker 183 83 VIC 21 years, 8 months
20 Matt Taberner 199 97 VIC 25 years, 4 months
22 Shane Kersten 191 90 WA 25 years, 7 months
23 Cameron McCarthy 192 92 WA 23 years, 6 months
24 Tom North 184 84 VIC 19 years, 8 months
30 Lloyd Meek 203 105 VIC 20 years, 6 months
39 Sam Switkowski 179 70 VIC 21 years, 11 months
40 Scott Jones 203 115 WA 23 years, 5 months
35 Michael Apeness 200 105 VIC 23 years, 8 months
44 Taylin Duman 192 79 VIC 20 years, 6 months
13 Harley Bennell 185 85 WA 26 years, 0 months
15 Ethan Hughes 187 88 WA 23 years, 10 months
43 Ryan Nyhuis 188 88 NT 22 years, 1 months

Looking forward to the end of 2019. We still have another 13 players who need to show to something during the year. I really hope we do not rush the resigning of them like we did this year.

Retire
31 Aaron Sandilands 211 118 WA 35 years, 10 months
1 Hayden Ballantyne 173 79 WA 31 years, 3 months
Retire or 1 year
16 David Mundy 192 91 VIC 33 years, 3 months

Extend
21 Joel Hamling 194 90 WA 25 years, 6 months
19 Connor Blakely 188 90 WA 22 years, 7 months
32 Stephen Hill 183 81 WA 28 years, 5 months
26 Ed Langdon 182 78 VIC 22 years, 8 months
2 Griffin Logue 193 95 WA 20 years, 6 months

I don't think there is a guarantee any of these players will be on our list at the end of 2019.

18 Darcy Tucker 183 83 VIC 21 years, 8 months
20 Matt Taberner 199 97 VIC 25 years, 4 months
22 Shane Kersten 191 90 WA 25 years, 7 months
23 Cameron McCarthy 192 92 WA 23 years, 6 months
24 Tom North 184 84 VIC 19 years, 8 months
30 Lloyd Meek 203 105 VIC 20 years, 6 months
39 Sam Switkowski 179 70 VIC 21 years, 11 months
40 Scott Jones 203 115 WA 23 years, 5 months
35 Michael Apeness 200 105 VIC 23 years, 8 months
44 Taylin Duman 192 79 VIC 20 years, 6 months
13 Harley Bennell 185 85 WA 26 years, 0 months
15 Ethan Hughes 187 88 WA 23 years, 10 months