Traded Dayne Beams [traded with #41 and #43 to Collingwood for #18, #56 and future 1st round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane definitely won this trade.

However if Beams helps us get a flag, it will be win/win.

If not, well I don't want to think about that.

I’m struggling to understand how they “won” the trade - who have they picked up?

Maybe we just calm the hysteria for now?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a lot of mayo in all of that, but letting that slide, where would you say Collingwood's weakest area is? My point is it's not the midfield, and for the price you paid you could have targeted a weaker area rather than your biggest strength. Cox played a ripping prelim final, but with 25 goals for the year he isn't close to the top rung of forwards in the game. If you consider De Goey a "dominant goal square KPF (lol)" - he'd be kicking 70 goals a year if he met that tag. Even your best key defenders outside of Howe are behind quite a few others.

IMO, anyone questioning a team acquiring mids isn’t fully in tune with the modern game. Look at the three worst teams of 2018 and it’s no coincidence they’re the three worst midfields in the league. I’d go so far as to say the only teams with midfields that belied their finish were Hawthorn and Sydney.

As a Collingwood person the three areas I believe we needed to address were a reliable marking presence in attack because Cox is too hit or miss. An increase in quality through the midfield. Pace on the defensive side of the ball. Collingwood’s defence in the last 8-10 weeks of the season was top drawer conceding under 70 points a game, but Moore aside, none of our best defensive group would be faster than any of their opponents.

As for JDG he kicked just shy of 50 in 21 matches whilst also going through the midfield. Barring injury as a permanent forward he’ll kick 60 next year which is the greatest benefit of Beams addition because it affords us the luxury of JDG forward permanently.

My question is how you manage to pay for them all.

Given we had Gubby at the club and the mess he left behind at GWS it’s an area of concern for me as well, but not for 24 months when the likes of Moore, JDG, Phillips, Grundy, Crisp, WHE and Stephenson all start coming off contract together.

The only blessing is that any club can make their salary cap work year to year as long as you sacrifice the right guys. This year I would have allowed Langdon to leave, but I can see why the club retained him. Obviously losing Wells’ and Mayne’s contracts will help.

Whilst we might have been better off getting a forward or defender, just which one were we going to get?

GC weren’t going to give us May for pick 18 and I didn’t see any big forwards either, so you take the best available option and Beams improv s this team even if it’s an area that doesn’t need it.

However, as good as our midfield is, they got smashed in the GF, I can’t see any team successfully stopping all of Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury in one game!

You guys were into Marcus Adams who wouldn't have cost much - albeit with injury concerns.

Would have preferred to keep him had his heart been at Brisbane.

With all that Dayne went through this year (and from purely a football perspective), I am thankful he was able to play to the level he was such that he commanded the 2 first rounders.

I think both teams did well out of the trade under the circumstances.

I didnt mention all that because it doesnt change the fact you have given up 4 x 1st rounders for 2 mids as I said.

Hey if you win a flag, who cares, but giving up that much if you dont, hmmmm.......
3 mids. Sier was drafted with the pick we got in return with Treloar.

3 mids. Sier was drafted with the pick we got in return with Treloar.
While I find it a little convenient that the Sier option has only came up recently depending on how one looks at it that pick was used for either half of Aish or in a more roundabout way Sier.

The pick we got back with Treloar went to North (Mitchell Hibberd) along with our own second round pick (Ryan Clarke) as part of a complicated 3-way trade to land as Aish from Brisbane. St Kilda's 2016 second received for Freeman also went to Brisbane as part of that deal. For our part we got Aish, 34 and 53. We bundled those two picks up with 63 for a late pick swap with GWS, which netted us the second round pick that was used to select Sier.

I know a lot of people are saying we didn't need Beams due to our midfield, but it may means Pendles goes onto the half back flank. He is our calmest user of the ball.

Beams could also play as a half forward flanker.

You can fit in great mids where ever you need them.

Look at De Goey this year and also players like Dusty, Danger and Ablett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a lot of people are saying we didn't need Beams due to our midfield, but it may means Pendles goes onto the half back flank. He is our calmest user of the ball.

Both Pendles off half back and Beams on a forward flank concern me because of pace. The only guys I’d look to role out of our midfield are Adams and Treloar, but it’ll be interesting to see which path the coaching group take!

While I find it a little convenient that the Sier option has only came up recently depending on how one looks at it that pick was used for either half of Aish or in a more roundabout way Sier.

The pick we got back with Treloar went to North (Mitchell Hibberd) along with our own second round pick (Ryan Clarke) as part of a complicated 3-way trade to land as Aish from Brisbane. St Kilda's 2016 second received for Freeman also went to Brisbane as part of that deal. For our part we got Aish, 34 and 53. We bundled those two picks up with 63 for a late pick swap with GWS, which netted us the second round pick that was used to select Sier.
So what you’re saying is we got 4 mids. Treloar, Aish, Sier and Beams. Fabulous :)

Yep. Beams in means you have greater flexibility with your other mids. Pendles can play off half back. He looked off the pace this year, but he’s still elite by foot so I’d back him to excel in that position. Not sure he can carry the load as a permanent mid anymore. It also allows DeGoey to play as a permanent forward which is where I believe he’s most dangerous.

If Beams stays on the park, it could be a trade that lands them a flag.

Both Pendles off half back and Beams on a forward flank concern me because of pace. The only guys I’d look to role out of our midfield are Adams and Treloar, but it’ll be interesting to see which path the coaching group take!
Not all of your halfbacks need elite pace.

Lloyd, Hurn, Rich, Hibberd, Vlastuin are all not exceptionally fast. We already have Howe, Crisp, Maynard with good pace to run out of defence, if anything Pendles as a distributor off half-back would be fantastic as it gives us more options to rebound than just blindly running.

There's 0, absolutely 0 chance Adams gets moved out of inside mid, was our best performing inside mid for 2nd half of our 2018 season and in the finals. He can't play any other role either, and at least for inside midfield we can somewhat cover his lack of kicking precision. We've tried playing him up forward, off half-back, didn't work, the fact that you brought this up again just tells me that you have absolutely no idea.

Treloar I agree potentially could play some more forward time as a crumber or more on the wing.

Beams has decent pace too, although I'd not play him on a forward flank either.

We get Beams we play him as a clearance mid first. If we want to rotate him/rest him we play him deep forward in a pocket or on the bench. Playing him on a flank, which nowadays require you to roam up the ground really isn't resting him. If anything Sidebottom should play as half-forward with elite skills and phenomenal running durability

I'd play our midfield in the following manner, quite confident Bucks will do the same too:

Pendles: 40% wing-15% inside mid-25% bench-20% half back (plays half-back when Dunn/Roughhead/Moore in defence needs a rotation, Howe/Langdon moves out of HBF and into key defending role)

Phillips: 80% wing-20% bench

Sidebottom: 70% wing-20% half forward-10% bench

Adams: 80% inside mid-20% bench

Sier: 65% inside mid-35% bench

Beams: 70% inside mid-10% deep dorward-20% bench

Treloar: 70% inside mid-10% wing-20% bench

Sums up to be 200% aggregate outside mid time for 2 players, and 300% aggregate inside mid time for 3 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back