Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Coming out of contract end of next season.

Will be the hottest property in the market - almost certainly starts 2020 the highest paid player in the league.

Every club will want him and have a crack - North, Carlton and St Kilda will be offering the really big big dollars.

Not a free agent in any form, so trade will need to be done.

At this stage, I'm saying the club that gets Josh Kelly will be paying him $1.5m a season over seven years (minimum) and trading two first round picks as a minimum.

So what's he worth in terms of dollars and picks/players?

(Any North supporter who thins it is a "done deal" or posts to that effect, check yo'self. Gaff and Dusty show it certainly isn't)

Probably will get paid too much which will handcuff the team who gets him in attracting other good talent.

No-one is worth 12-15% of a teams salary cap

Yep, there's this. He'll be getting HUGE offers from North, Carlton and St Kilda.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
At this stage, I'm saying the club that gets Josh Kelly will be paying him $1.5m a season over seven years (minimum) and trading two first round picks as a minimum.

I suspect the Chris Judd deal is probably the closest form of reference:
- a top 5 draft pick
- a former top 10 draft choice
- an early second rounder

I suspect GWS would be going for something similar at the trade table - a high pick and a proven, established talent.

The second part of that might be the challenging part, as (no offence to GWS supporters) but I would have thought convincing a player to go home to WA (Kennedy) would be an easier job than convincing a player to move to GWS

- a top 5 draft pick

I suspect GWS would be going for something similar at the trade table - a high pick and a proven, established talent.

The second part of that might be the challenging part, as (no offence to GWS supporters) but I would have thought convincing a player to go home to WA (Kennedy) would be an easier job than convincing a player to move to GWS

Yep, agreed on the price and also agree that getting a player to to GWS, especially a GWS that may well be falling down the ladder, could be a tough ask.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
- a top 5 draft pick

Depends a lot on how 2019 goes for him I think.

Judd was a Brownlow Medalist, a Norm Smith Medalist, a premiership captain and a two time AA and Best and Fairest winner.

Josh has one AA to his name.

Top five pick and a first rounder would be around the mark, especially if he only wants to deal with one club.

Depends a lot on how 2019 goes for him I think.

Judd was a Brownlow Medalist, a Norm Smith Medalist, a premiership captain and a two time AA and Best and Fairest winner.

Josh has one AA to his name.

Top five pick and a first rounder would be around the mark, especially if he only wants to deal with one club.

Recent history shows us this is what will happen - he'll nominate a club.

Will GWS roll with that though?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Recent history shows us this is what will happen - he'll nominate a club.

Will GWS roll with that though?

Sure they will... the Shiel deal was the proof in the pudding.

Or we could just reopen the old thread. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No, a new thread for a new out-of-contract situation!

Do you reckon he's any chance to stay this time?

Sure they will... the Shiel deal was the proof in the pudding.

GWS gave their blessing to Shiel to leave.

I think they'll fight tooth and nail for Kelly.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No, a new thread for a new out-of-contract situation!

Do you reckon he's any chance to stay this time?
Who knows. Thought he was gone for that massive deal last time.

This time we have cleared the decks for a massive deal of our own and he has now played more games for us than his father at North so it may work in our favour.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I hope we sign him so we can lure his brother Jake Kelly.

Heard his brother Tim is even better then Jake, but then there's his uncle Paul who went alright just don't give him a chance to drone on about politics but by the same token not a bad singer.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Who knows. Thought he was gone for that massive deal last time.

This time we have cleared the decks for a massive deal of our own and he has now played more games for us than his father at North so it may work in our favour.

Probably seems stupid to say but it feels like you're in a much better position to keep him now than it was in the year leading up to the last renewal.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Heard his brother Tim is even better then Jake, but then there's his uncle Paul who went alright just don't give him a chance to drone on about politics but by the same token not a bad singer.

As long as we keep his dad Martin away from the kids in our academy I'm fine.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Coming out of contract end of next season.

Will be the hottest property in the market - almost certainly starts 2020 the highest paid player in the league.

Every club will want him and have a crack - North, Carlton and St Kilda will be offering the really big big dollars.

Not a free agent in any form, so trade will need to be done.

(Any North supporter who thins it is a "done deal" or posts to that effect, check yo'self. Gaff and Dusty show it certainly isn't)
:DI would have thought last year was the best analogy.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
GWS gave their blessing to Shiel to leave.

I think they'll fight tooth and nail for Kelly.
Of course they will. He is their best player and a top 5 player in the comp.

The fire sale to drop Scully, Shiel, Lobb & Settlefield will be part of a big push to get him up towards a million a year. They would rather lose their lower level players to keep their superstar.

Will be highest paid player if he comes back to Vic. A pure feeding frenzy.

I can already smell the Navy blue on him.

If he comes home it's going to be very interesting to see who bids for him.

Would think it is between North, blues, and saints. Other teams would have used up their draft picks or cap space.

Back