#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we get 80-90 goals from TMAC and Weid then that’s a pretty good return.

Loosing Hogan is a loss for us, but we’re still the highest scoring side in the AFL if Hogan only averaged 1 goal a game....

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
With the structure of our forward line now he doesn't have to star, he just needs to play his role. Guys like Mcdonald, Melksham, Hannan and Petracca are where our scoring ability lies, Weid just needs to present, compete in the air and do his defensive bit.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't wait for Weed to under perform next season and the board turn on him

Why wait? He's a dreadful player, was never going to make it and I can't believe people here ever thought Hogan would be anything other than the greatestest playerest to everest walketh the earth.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
dreading that.

I don't know if anyone is forgetting but he just hasn't played many AFL games. He played well in the elim and semi finals, but it wasn't long before that a fair few people were questioning whether he would make it.

I love the Weed on general principles, but people should be wary of placing too many eggs in a Weed basket at this stage.

Aren't hemp baskets quite strong?

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Why wait? He's a dreadful player, was never going to make it and I can't believe people here ever thought Hogan would be anything other than the greatestest playerest to everest walketh the earth.

Weed has made great progress this year, he is massive talent who is starting to show his upside.

You can bookmark 35 goals for him in 2019.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I have faith in Weid to continue his development.

I do worry about what happens if he or (god forbid) T Mac go down injured.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then we play with 1 key forward.. Not that big a deal at all.
Richmond swept the competition aside for the best part of 2 years with forward. Collingwood were amazing this year with 1.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
More likely to be Weid and Preuss/Gawn than just Weid I’d have thought.

It could very well be, I'm just not too worried about it. We would still average high inside 50s and still have marking options. Would just mean we have to lower our eyes more...

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond swept the competition aside for the best part of 2 years with forward. Collingwood were amazing this year with 1.

The Tigers and Pies have done it really well but I don’t think we’ve ever tried a 1 key forward approach... it could work but it seems a dramatic shift to Goodwin’s preferred structure.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Pies did play that Mihocek guy a lot so it wasn’t exactly one key forward. If TMac got injured it’d be a Weid and Gawn/Preuss up forward I’d say.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pies did play that Mihocek guy a lot so it wasn’t exactly one key forward. If TMac got injured it’d be a Weid and Gawn/Preuss up forward I’d say.

Mihocek is solid but only 193 cms, like for sure we could easily play Preuss and Gawn deep but I doubt it causes huge panic. Petracca can go deep, Melksham goes allright and even Oliver will play some more forward.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bodes well for truck. Want to see him running like Forrest Gump this pre-season, ready to mark and maul his way around half forward.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tackles very well for his size, makes a contest and has a uncomplicated kicking style. Has shown he can have some high possession games as well.

I'm not worried he will regress unless he gets injured and can't do the first two things.

The Tigers and Pies have done it really well but I don’t think we’ve ever tried a 1 key forward approach... it could work but it seems a dramatic shift to Goodwin’s preferred structure.

We did against Hawthorn in rd 4 iirc. That game was a car crash.

Single games aren't proof.
Not saying they are, just responding to you saying we've never tried it.

I'm not against trialling one forward as a rule, but don't think we have the small forwards to pull it off.

Will need a heap from Petracca this year as 3rd forward this year.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Mihocek is solid but only 193 cms, like for sure we could easily play Preuss and Gawn deep but I doubt it causes huge panic. Petracca can go deep, Melksham goes allright and even Oliver will play some more forward.
I’d consider De Goey more of a key forward than Mihocek.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not saying they are, just responding to you saying we've never tried it.

I'm not against trialling one forward as a rule, but don't think we have the small forwards to pull it off.

Will need a heap from Petracca this year as 3rd forward this year.

I think you are slightly confusing 2 arguments, that was the Dr you were responding too. My point was we could play a single key forward for a month if injury dictates it.

Back