SA The Adelaide Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

wait downtown had roller skating and a café?? I don't remember that

It was pretty cool. Disco style and dim lighting in the cafe over looking the rink.

I was about ten when I started going there.

Didn't know then that the ruling class would predate there for thier fix of young boys.

It was pretty cool. Disco style and dim lighting in the cafe over looking the rink.

I was about ten when I started going there.

Didn't know then that the ruling class would predate there for thier fix of young boys.
My mate still dines out on the time he got groped playing Tron at the cinemas on Hindmarsh Square, says he's never been able to find a woman with such firm hands since.

I reckon it was 86 or 87 when I started going to downtown (as a 6 year old with my mum). I think it was already a shadow of its former self by that stage

timezone meridian a bit further down was a pretty good establishment after downtown shut down

I reckon it was 86 or 87 when I started going to downtown (as a 6 year old with my mum). I think it was already a shadow of its former self by that stage

timezone meridian a bit further down was a pretty good establishment after downtown shut down
My schoolies was a couple of afternoons playing pinball at Timezone.

My mate still dines out on the time he got groped playing Tron at the cinemas on Hindmarsh Square, says he's never been able to find a woman with such firm hands since.

Now you're bring back memories

That cinema is a hotel now?

Family left town in the eighties to a paradise in the Flinders. I stole my mum's purse jumped in a bus back to adelaide and spent some coin there on the video games. Then caught up with some older mates and fell asleep during thier band practice after being introduced to hash

This one time at band camp was a coppers house

Just spent the weekend in ADL with the missus. Best described as Parramatta with an airport and infrastructure. I reckon we'll move there in the next decade before Sydney turns to s**t.

Yeah Academy cinema closed down mid-2007.

By then Academy was a shell of it's former self as Wallis was focusing on getting Mitcham set up. I managed to see a movie at Academy by myself one day (about 9 months before it closed down).

The hotel was initially a Crowne Plaza but has now be rebadged as a Pullman.

I thought that happened a while ago?

Sydney is great, but when you see how a city should be laid out, and then think about the over-development in the west of Sydney with no infrastructure, plus a great big airport being built 40km from the existing one.....well, you have to weigh up quality of life. If it means waiting until 11am on Sunday for a shop to open, well, so be it.

What makes ADL great for you? Where are the good areas to live?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By then Academy was a shell of it's former self as Wallis was focusing on getting Mitcham set up. I managed to see a movie at Academy by myself one day (about 9 months before it closed down).

The hotel was initially a Crowne Plaza but has now be rebadged as a Pullman.

I used to watch movies at the Greater Union on Hindley during the early 00s on a particular day when I had a big break between lectures. It was almost always empty then too during the day but they've since reopened again. Not sure what it would be like now.

Sydney is great, but when you see how a city should be laid out, and then think about the over-development in the west of Sydney with no infrastructure, plus a great big airport being built 40km from the existing one.....well, you have to weigh up quality of life. If it means waiting until 11am on Sunday for a shop to open, well, so be it.

I have only ever lived in Adelaide so you're probably asking the wrong person but Sydney just seems too big for it's own good. Whenever I visit there I just think that living there would be way too much of a hassle unless you were a millionaire.

Depends who you ask on the good areas to live. Most people will list the eastern suburbas, inner northern suburbs as well as Henley, Grange, West Lakes etc.

I used to watch movies at the Greater Union on Hindley during the early 00s on a particular day when I had a big break between lectures. It was almost always empty then too during the day but they've since reopened again. Not sure what it would be like now.
Have seen a few movies there now. Sometimes empty but never full to overflowing. Snack bar is too far from cinemas ie outside and in another section

The new GU Film House is very different to the tired and outdated cinemas Greater Union - much more modern. Two of the cinemas upstairs have Adelaide's only Dolby Atmos cinemas.

Having said that, the couple of times I've been there it's been very quiet. We'll see how long it lasts until they ditch it.

Haven't lived in Sydney, but i lived in Darwin for 20 years, Brisbane and Melbourne for a year each too and now live in Adelaide. So much more chilled out here, is still a fairly big city but doesn't have the 2 hour traffic jams or anything and people appreciate a bit of a joke at their own expense. I live in Athelstone (right near the hills) and work near Glenelg, so literally one side of Adelaide to the other, and it takes 45 minutes in bad traffic to get to work. Beautiful place mate!

There's plenty of nice areas, a few bogan ones too, like you get everywhere i suppose. We live east and love it, south and north are a bit more crowded. Plenty of nice houses West near the beaches too

Cinemas are a dying thing. People want to watch things in their own time. Doesn't help that people are campaigners. Don't answer your phone in a theatre dickhead.

Last cinema experience i had was at Norwood cinemas. We were watching A Quiet Place, and someone in the cinema just constantly had her phone buzzing. Some guy yelled out at her and all we got back was "sorry that some of us get important emails". Some very self-centred people

Last cinema experience i had was at Norwood cinemas. We were watching A Quiet Place, and someone in the cinema just constantly had her phone buzzing. Some guy yelled out at her and all we got back was "sorry that some of us get important emails". Some very self-centred people

Typical classless Norwood idiot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back