Breaking into the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Keeping myself occupied in the off-season...who are you most keen to see break into the 22, who has the greatest upside. I’m going with Nathan Murphy, was really impressed with him in the latter parts of the VFL season and wasn’t too bad on debut in the ones.

If he can build some strength to hold his own a bit better will be a remarkable wingman or HBF. Has the go go gadget intercept mark arms, footy smarts and skills that we need into the 50. Big future for this kid

Would love to see Daicos and C Brown in there on a more regular basis.
Daics had a breakout game and then disappeared, they are both on the smaller side and not blessed with pace. I expect they will need some more preseasons to build the strength.

Daniel Wells. He's the guy outside of the 22 that could really be class for us.

Elliott because then you'd know he's over his injuries.

Quaynor because I reckon we need a third small defender, I like it when young players come on, and he has an enticing combo of stopping, speed and footskills. Assuming we recruit him of course!

I think those from our 2018 squad who could have big 2019 seasons are Appleby, Murphy and Daicos.

Would also love to see Elliott and Wells available for selection more often.

I'd also like to see Phillips more consistently match his purple patch form.

I don't have great expectations on our draftees impacting, great if they do although it likely means injuries.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sier is in our 22 imo but with Beams coming in you dont know what they will do, i would love to see him just take another huge step next year and start dominating games, looked right at home this year and even in the finals.
Sier won't go, Bucks loves what he does. Greenwood or Aish maybe. I find Greenwood doesn't have too many tricks up his sleeve besides being a really effective tagger. We need to start developing a younger player in the side to have some tagging capability.

Nathan Murphy!

This is the long term guy.
That simple in my view.

If the older ones?
Daniel Wells :)

If the medium ones?
Jamie Elliott

If we can actually manage a relatively injury free season we’re going to have some serious selection headaches.

Reid
Roughead
Daicos
Wells
Murphy
Elliott
Moore
Brown
Wills
Appleby

and to a lesser extent Quaynor and Kelly will all be wanting into this side. Not sure how it all happens. It’s almost like our depth is hiring that point where we need injuries to give everyone a chance.

I see Elliott as still a part of the 22, so “breaking in” sounds awfully strange.

Murphy getting regular games would benefit the team and even moreso his development.

After him, Appleby has plenty of growth in him IMHO, and we need a lock-down small defender.

Quaynor will be enjoyable to watch based on the recruiting staff’s obviously high opinion of him.

The 2 who I think could actually make a big difference going forward, structure-wise, if they were good enough to get a shot would be McLarty and Murphy.

Unfortunately it looks like neither is gonna happen.
The rumours of McLarty getting delisted would be horrible if true. At the least you need to give him a bit more time as a rookie.

And I would suspect that if we had more trust in Murphy then we wouldn't have to been to stressed about matching Langdons contract request, and would rather have traded him out to Sydney whilst his value was at a high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back