Research Missing DOD or DOB for League players (AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
The Encyclopedia has a DOB for Jimmy Gaynor of 22 May 1875, which obviously doesn't match what we see in the "official records". Perhaps they have made a change to this in recent times?

Ah, thanks for that tip. Will investigate that person then - first glance leads one to Ancestry trees which give death date c 20 Nov 1918 in New Zealand.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Ah, thanks for that tip. Will investigate that person then - first glance leads one to Ancestry trees which give death date c 20 Nov 1918 in New Zealand.
Death notices are in The Age, 21 November 1918 for James Bernard Gaynor. No age is given, though it does seem to match this birth record from 1875:
Record information
Event Birth
Event registration number 8441
Registration year 1875

Personal information
Family name GAYNOR
Given names James Bernard
Sex Unknown
Father's name Bernard
Mother's name Jane (Moore)
Place of birth DAYL

Edit: Just adding to my earlier post, the 2014 edition of The Encyclopedia didn't have a DOB for Jimmy Gaynor, so they must have come across the 1875 one in recent times. They've also added a height and weight to the entry so I suspect this information came from the AFL.

This death notice says that he was 43, which fits with an 1875 birth.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Death notices are in The Age, 21 November 1918 for James Bernard Gaynor. No age is given, though it does seem to match this birth record from 1875:
Record information
Event Birth
Event registration number 8441
Registration year 1875

Personal information
Family name GAYNOR
Given names James Bernard
Sex Unknown
Father's name Bernard
Mother's name Jane (Moore)
Place of birth DAYL

Edit: Just adding to my earlier post, the 2014 edition of The Encyclopedia didn't have a DOB for Jimmy Gaynor, so they must have come across the 1875 one in recent times. They've also added a height and weight to the entry so I suspect this information came from the AFL.

This death notice says that he was 43, which fits with an 1875 birth.
NZ BDM search
1918/8677 Gaynor James Bernard 44Y

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Former Collingwood player Chris Curran died recently (8th October), aged just 44. He was also at Richmond, but didn't play senior football. His Wikipedia page has been updated. Oliver Gigacz

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Chris_Curran_(Australian_footballer)
https://australianfootball.com/players/player/chris+curran/13417

CURRAN. Chris. 03.08.1974 - 08.10.2018 In loving memory of Chris. Loving son of Dennis and Denise, brother to Jenni and Patrick. Husband to Fiona and beloved father of Pacey and Declan. Brother-in-law to Tim and Louise. Uncle to Mitchell, Ella and Kaleb. You will live in our hearts and memories forever. Rest in peace. Reunited with his idol, Pop. See later paper for funeral details or www. davidwbull. com. au
Obituaries
Published in Herald Sun on 16/10/2018

CURRAN. Chris. The President, Board, Staff and Members of the Collingwood Football Club would like to express their sadness at the passing of a revered player and friend to many at our club. Chris played 34 games for the Magpies between 1995-98. We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to Fiona, Pacey, Declan and the Curran family. Side By Side We Stick Together.
Obituaries
Published in Herald Sun on 17/10/2018

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
rbartlett have you missed this?

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/88762032/view?random=1540302027642

Published in Herald Sun on 13/11/2014

WALFORD. Bill. The Directors, Officials, Coaches, players, staff and members of the Richmond Football Club mourn the passing of former player Bill Walford. Bill played senior football for the Tigers in the mid-1960s and was a member of the Club's 1966 Reserve Grade Premiership side. We extend our deepest sympathy to Bill's family and friends.

WALFORD. William John (Bill) Late of Woy Woy Bay

https://www.tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bill+Walford

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
rbartlett have you missed this?

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/88762032/view?random=1540302027642

Published in Herald Sun on 13/11/2014

WALFORD. Bill. The Directors, Officials, Coaches, players, staff and members of the Richmond Football Club mourn the passing of former player Bill Walford. Bill played senior football for the Tigers in the mid-1960s and was a member of the Club's 1966 Reserve Grade Premiership side. We extend our deepest sympathy to Bill's family and friends.

WALFORD. William John (Bill) Late of Woy Woy Bay

https://www.tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bill+Walford
He's on the Obituaries 2014 list in the 2015 AFL Season Guide, but Wikipedia and AustralianFootball.com don't have it. 5/11/14 is the DOD in the book.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yeah I knew about, cause it occurred not long after Hafey's funeral and Dad had only spoken to Walford probably a few weeks earlier to get some memories of Walford's first game. I had been emailing Walford back and forth over the last couple of years.
I'll add the dod to Tigerland. Many thanks.

ThePope

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2003
32º 03'S 115º 45'E
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
He's on the Obituaries 2014 list in the 2015 AFL Season Guide, but Wikipedia and AustralianFootball.com don't have it. 5/11/14 is the DOD in the book.
I've updated Wikipedia.
Can you please scan in that obit page, and maybe any others you have? When did they start publishing them? I don't have many of the season guides, only a few from the 90s that (I think) don't have them. I've got the Fyfe cover 2016 one, and have checked all of those, and checked this year's over a few weeks ago.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I've updated Wikipedia.
Can you please scan in that obit page, and maybe any others you have? When did they start publishing them? I don't have many of the season guides, only a few from the 90s that (I think) don't have them. I've got the Fyfe cover 2016 one, and have checked all of those, and checked this year's over a few weeks ago.
I have all the Season Guides (1996>), and I will do my best to help! I've had a couple of cracks at scanning the relevant pages from the 2015 book, but both times the far right column (which gives the DOD) has been rather blurred.

I don't have a top notch printer/scanner (plus I'm not 100% sober at the moment), so this may well be affecting the end result!!! I'll try again in a few hours time, if no-one else helps out in the meantime!

A quick look shows that they had the 2003 Obituaries in the 2004 book, the 2003 book doesn't seem to have it.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have all the Season Guides (1996>), and I will do my best to help! I've had a couple of cracks at scanning the relevant pages from the 2015 book, but both times the far right column (which gives the DOD) has been rather blurred.

I don't have a top notch printer/scanner (plus I'm not 100% sober at the moment), so this may well be affecting the end result!!! I'll try again in a few hours time, if no-one else helps out in the meantime!

A quick look shows that they had the 2003 Obituaries in the 2004 book, the 2003 book doesn't seem to have it.

Haha! The effort is certainly there though which is the main thing! Maybe just take a photo with your phone and upload

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I've updated Wikipedia.
Here's the Obituaries 2014 (2015 book) page again. It's better than last night's miserable effort! I'll do my best with the other pages.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 115

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back