Sharing files across network with Windows 10 computers

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As above, Ive looked up help sites and they say to use File Explorer, then the Share menu item, then click the Share button to share the folders I want, but on both of my computers it is greyed out.

Ive also tried sharing entire drives. One machine I can see the shared drive under Network but the other computer cant see it. The other computer I cant see anything.

No idea what is going on here. It used to be so easy using a Homegroup but for some reason Microsoft took that away.

Anyone able to help?

I assume its Windows 10 Home edition on both - if that makes a difference.

As above, Ive looked up help sites and they say to use File Explorer, then the Share menu item, then click the Share button to share the folders I want, but on both of my computers it is greyed out.

Ive also tried sharing entire drives. One machine I can see the shared drive under Network but the other computer cant see it. The other computer I cant see anything.

No idea what is going on here. It used to be so easy using a Homegroup but for some reason Microsoft took that away.

Anyone able to help?

I assume its Windows 10 Home edition on both - if that makes a difference.

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings

Make sure file sharing is on, and while you're at it turn on discovery, it'll probably make life easier. You should hopefully be able to share after that.

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings

Make sure file sharing is on, and while you're at it turn on discovery, it'll probably make life easier. You should hopefully be able to share after that.

Ive tried all the simple things.

I wonder if there are Services which are off by default with the Home version?

None of the Help sites are any good.

Thing is this is happening with both my computers. One is 4 years old and one is brand new.

Ive tried all the simple things.

I wonder if there are Services which are off by default with the Home version?

None of the Help sites are any good.

Thing is this is happening with both my computers. One is 4 years old and one is brand new.
Home shouldn't disable network sharing.

Is it wired/wireless/both?
Can you do it through the "Advanced sharing" section?
Are you admin on both PCs?
Are they both set to the same "Network profile" (public/private)

Home shouldn't disable network sharing.

Is it wired/wireless/both?
Can you do it through the "Advanced sharing" section?
Are you admin on both PCs?
Are they both set to the same "Network profile" (public/private)

Both Guest accounts at the moment but Admin accounts were being used. I have gone through Advanced sharing.

Thing is, I cant even see the shares locally, let alone on the other computers.

Its just bizarre.

Both Guest accounts at the moment but Admin accounts were being used. I have gone through Advanced sharing.

Thing is, I cant even see the shares locally, let alone on the other computers.

Its just bizarre.
i know this is old but still could be useful to someone...

it is counter intuitive but what I did is Change advance sharing settings>Password protected sharing>turn OFF

yes, turn OFF ie. you're not locking the files away in fort Knox...in other words.....other computers can see them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back