Free Agency Daniel Menzel [Off to Sydney after Swans give him another chance as a DFA]

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope the Pies nab him, even just as depth.

I can’t wrap my head around Geelong’s decision here. Surely a good coaching staff can build a forward line which doesn’t expose Menzel’s weaknesses. Josh Caddy is a disgusting defender but because he had an array of small, quick pressure-happy forwards around him, he kicked 46 goals and played a huge part in a premiership tilt at Richmond.

Yeah he can’t defend but he can do just about everything else very well.

It is not just about defending. He struggles to get separation from the defender too. Times this year he was just limited to playing for free kicks in marking contests because his movement was so poor and could get no space.

Wonder if he'll stay at the cats for another year or go DFA.

Far to talented not to be in the AFL system, very good kick at goal and lead up player. Lack of pace and pressure sure but proven goal kicker.
yeah pre getting dahl and rohan i would have thought cats would offer him another year but now think he might go as a dfa and someone to take a punt

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Poor Menzel :( surely worth a club taking a punt. Some of the players that are in the system it would be criminal for Menzel to be delisted.

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Poor Menzel :( surely worth a club taking a punt. Some of the players that are in the system it would be criminal for Menzel to be delisted.
Averaged 2.1 goals a game for the last two seasons, which is near Breust averages. Would be madness for him not to get picked up, including your own club who has a dearth of goal kickers.

An ITK on our board said we're still considering him with a late draft pick if we couldn't get Long from St.Kilda (which we didn't), but we also want Ben Cavarra from Williamstown.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Averaged 2.1 goals a game for the last two seasons, which is near Breust averages. Would be madness for him not to get picked up, including your own club who has a dearth of goal kickers.

An ITK on our board said we're still considering him with a late draft pick if we couldn't get Long from St.Kilda (which we didn't), but we also want Ben Cavarra from Williamstown.

Oh for sure. Would be immensely annoyed if Geelong didn’t get him again. Part of me understands their injuries but at the very least you get someone who is capable of kicking 30 goals for very little money.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm really hoping Geelong let him go to explore other opportunities. I've heard talk of Dogs potentially offering 2 years to Menzel, which could do absolute wonders for our forward line. I think we apply enough pressure in our forward line to be able to afford to have Menzel without suffering for it. If he managed even 13 games at our club last year and averaged the same number of goals, he'd have been our leading goalkicker

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm really hoping Geelong let him go to explore other opportunities. I've heard talk of Dogs potentially offering 2 years to Menzel, which could do absolute wonders for our forward line. I think we apply enough pressure in our forward line to be able to afford to have Menzel without suffering for it. If he managed even 13 games at our club last year and averaged the same number of goals, he'd have been our leading goalkicker

Geelong have always told Menzel that he is free to find a contract elsewhere; the Cats aren’t the problem here. No one literally wants him at the moment. He would be quite good at the bulldogs. Or the saints.

Menzel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rohan.

Weird preference from the Cats there.
Nope. Menzel is flat out cooked.
Rohan is a questionable decision but I’m on board with them cutting Menzel loose.

His body is cooked, and you see it in the 2nd half of the season.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Rohan is a questionable decision but I’m on board with them cutting Menzel loose.

Fair enough, but it's worth pointing out that Menzel has played more games than Rohan in the last three years, so if he's cooked then what does that say for Rohan?

Like you say though, it's not as if Rohan's not a questionably decision on its own.

May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

What about the first half of the season when he was killing it?

I thought he had a routine groin injection for a reason unrelated to his knee and then all the trouble started?

What about the first half of the season when he was killing it?

I thought he had a routine groin injection for a reason unrelated to his knee and then all the trouble started?
I'm talking in general.
He can't recover from niggles as well as others. So crawls to the line.

Starts seasons on fire only to fade badly.
Hard call, but perfectly fair one to make. Finals are at the end of the season, and he's showing diminishing ability to help the cause.

If a club offers him a new deal best of luck to them.
He's done IMO.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hard to see a contending team that makes sense for him, but at the same time I think a fresh set of medical eyes and training program, plus a different role could produce something. An unorthodox move like a team saying don't even start playing until May.

I've thought his defensive efforts have been bad enough to obviously be a negative but not so bad that he's unplayable.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Hard to see a contending team that makes sense for him, but at the same time I think a fresh set of medical eyes and training program, plus a different role could produce something. An unorthodox move like a team saying don't even start playing until May.

I've thought his defensive efforts have been bad enough to obviously be a negative but not so bad that he's unplayable.

North have been good at rehabilitating players. Anderson, Waite, Higgins. They've gotten good value out of injury-listers.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I'm talking in general.
He can't recover from niggles as well as others. So crawls to the line.

Starts seasons on fire only to fade badly.
Hard call, but perfectly fair one to make. Finals are at the end of the season, and he's showing diminishing ability to help the cause.

If a club offers him a new deal best of luck to them.
He's done IMO.

100 goals from his last 51 games is a decent rate, second only to Hawkins at Geelong. It's an odd delisting. Yes, his scoring dries up somewhat towards the end of seasons, but it's still at a fairly good level, and all scoring does tend to dry up late in the season.

Back