Player Watch 2018 retirements and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton are a couple of injuries away from being putting out one of the least competitive sides the AFL has ever seen imo.

I'd like to see that. I've seen some horrendous sides over the years.

Melbourne and St Kilda in the late 70s and early 80s.

Sydney in the early 90s.

Fitzroy in the mid 90s.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Daniel Menzel delisted. Baffling by Geelong, no doubt he will find a new home.

Murdoch also cut from the list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-24/cats-cut-luckless-forward-speedy-midfielder
Why baffling? Geelong clearly didn't believe he can help them improve. He attracted next to zero interest in the trade period, and bottom teams now in Carlton, Saints and Lions have all said they don't want him even though he will cost them nothing.
It looks like the game has passed him by.

Oct 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Lightning
Why baffling? Geelong clearly didn't believe he can help them improve. He attracted next to zero interest in the trade period, and bottom teams now in Carlton, Saints and Lions have all said they don't want him even though he will cost them nothing.
It looks like the game has passed him by.
Not sure it really has. Anyone who watched him this year knows he's still a gun.

I think it might be more about finals and being 100%. Menzel kills it when fit, but for Geelong to make a proper run at a flag, we need to enter finals with a stable team of players who are fully fit and conditioned. The chances that Menzel won't be in and out with niggles or injury is low, so maybe the club has decided we need to move on. Not sure if I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure it really has. Anyone who watched him this year knows he's still a gun.

I think it might be more about finals and being 100%. Menzel kills it when fit, but for Geelong to make a proper run at a flag, we need to enter finals with a stable team of players who are fully fit and conditioned. The chances that Menzel won't be in and out with niggles or injury is low, so maybe the club has decided we need to move on. Not sure if I agree.

Best current player with an injury curse might have finished his career now, would be silly of a club not to take him for nothing though, on a 1 year contract

Hawks delist whitecross and Lovell

Hope whitey gets a go somewhere. He's not a superstar, but would provide great leadership at the likes of GC, saints or carlton

Most unlucky Hawk from 2008 onwards? Selected in 2007 and played 111 games but missed out on the 4 flags.

Would be a good depth player at any club and surely the rebuilding sides would have a good look at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back