Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He may need a run at half back as a rebounder. Good skills, fast, agile.

Don’t see a future for him in the midfield or up forward

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy to see him offered another year on the rookie list. Sends the right messages to the playing group. He's had a shocking run, glandular fever (2013), broken arm (2014), shoulder (2015-16), ankle (2016) and then the broken leg this year. 2017 was the only year he's had an unbroken run at it and was in and out of the side. Seen enough in him at VFL level to see what he might bring to the senior side if he can replicate that form but the onus is on him to take any chance he gets.
if there is any silver lining his injuries have been impact injuries and not soft tissue or structural ( dodgy knees from turning innocuously ) .

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Try him at half back and get him to play a running half back style of football similar to Docherty/Lloyd/Whitfield.

He doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the midfield i reckon, and our forward line is too stacked.

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I've seen broomy certainly has been working hard. He's built his upper body and core up throughout the year which his collarbone, then shoulder injury previously held him back from doing.

He then suffered the ankle injury, which they never got quite right which is led to a reoccurrance just like Elliot's ankle and greenwoods knee. He finally had no surgery in the off season and no preseason where he wasn't hindered by any of those ailments and looked sharp and was one of the best trainers over the summer before tragedy struck again which is unfortunate because this year I have no doubt we would of seen the best Tim Broomhead.

I really hope his leg has a straight forward recovery and he doesn't be struck down with stress fractures or soft tissue injuries which can be common when returning from such injuries. He's been quite meticulous and professional towards his rehab and recovery so he's giving himself every chance that's in his favour. I pray his leg has recovered well and allows him to be in full training asap, he's been on the gravity treadmill the last month. Here's hoping it fully heals with no setbacks as Timmy still has a lot he can add to this team and still has a number of good years of footy left. Footy gods please let Broomy be one of our success stories for next year just like the ones we had this year :praying:

Collingwould

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Collingwood
(just IMHO) he's a medium midfielder who needs to run around at training and shadow Sidey, as he's similar size, but Sidey is elite so he needs to see what he does. I can't see him breaking into our midfield anytime soon give we just got Beamer back, and just doesn't appear big and strong enough to be a back, so for me it's a wing or small forward. Looking at our last lineup, yeah it was the GF, but represents our best, looking at wingers/half fwd/fwd pockets, does he get a game ahead of Philips, Treloar, WHE, JDG, Stephenson, Thomas? There's also that guy Elliot who we may play up fwd. Time will tell, but 2017 was in and out of a side that placed 13th.

for mine the jury is on their way back in, they have a grim look on their face but are wiling to give him the benefit of doubt for a guy who's entering the so-called prime age of their football career. Rookie and try to get an injury free year

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
(just IMHO) he's a medium midfielder who needs to run around at training and shadow Sidey, as he's similar size, but Sidey is elite so he needs to see what he does. I can't see him breaking into our midfield anytime soon give we just got Beamer back, and just doesn't appear big and strong enough to be a back, so for me it's a wing or small forward. Looking at our last lineup, yeah it was the GF, but represents our best, looking at wingers/half fwd/fwd pockets, does he get a game ahead of Philips, Treloar, WHE, JDG, Stephenson, Thomas? There's also that guy Elliot who we may play up fwd. Time will tell, but 2017 was in and out of a side that placed 13th.

for mine the jury is on their way back in, they have a grim look on their face but are wiling to give him the benefit of doubt for a guy who's entering the so-called prime age of their football career. Rookie and try to get an injury free year

Perhaps not. He's neater by foot than Phillips but doesn't have the tank.

You left Varcoe out. I would think that the spot Broomhead would be targeting would be that small, pressure forward role who is capable of crumbing to Cox and Mihocek and hitting the scoreboard. Varcoe possibly only has one year, so he could make that spot his own if he is fit. Broomhead knows how to get to the foot of packs and is handy by foot.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps not. He's neater by foot than Phillips but doesn't have the tank.

You left Varcoe out. I would think that the spot Broomhead would be targeting would be that small, pressure forward role who is capable of crumbing to Cox and Mihocek and hitting the scoreboard. Varcoe possibly only has one year, so he could make that spot his own if he is fit. Broomhead knows how to get to the foot of packs and is handy by foot.

Agree, that's the spot he needs to try and transition into. I've always thought he plays his best footy as an inside-outside mid but the midfield is going to be way too hard to find a spot in. Varcoe got an extra year but certainly not guaranteed beyond 2019.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus

I think that is the comparison that many of us saw when Broomhead first came in (at least I did). It might just be his mannerisms, but he seemed to have that almost laconic approach, and be quite measured and accurate by foot. At the time it looked like he would be able to fit into that HFF/attacking wing position that Steele was playing at the time. Not a true small forward, and not an out-and-out mid.
Obviously injuries, probably form, and the emergence of others has put the brakes on that. I'm glad he's been given another year to show his stuff.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't mind them trialling Broomy down back or at half forward... has the attributes to potentially play both. Like Thomas he seems to have a handy eye for goal but also the run and footskills to potentially play off half back.

I reckon even with a pre season of sorts under his belt...we shouldn't expect a great deal of senior footy from him in 2019. Should just treat him as a draftee and give him most of the year to build fitness, form and confidence in his body in the VFL before making a final call on him in late 2019.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
He is one of my favourites and I wish him well, will be very hard for him to break into the seniors.:'(

It's a real what could have been situation with Broomhead. He started round 2 last year and I felt like his luck had turned and he was finally going to deliver on his potential. That leg injury still makes me feel sick. Tim must have a lot of fortitude to have worked his way back to playing. I hope he does well and gets through unscathed.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
https://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-04-03/broomhead-set-to-return-in-vfl
Tim Broomhead is set to make his long-awaited return to action in Collingwood’s VFL season opener against Coburg on Saturday. Broomhead has been sidelined since breaking his leg in last year’s round two AFL loss to Greater Western Sydney at the MCG. The 25-year-old has been training strongly in recent weeks, and as long as he gets through Thursday’s main session, he will lined up against the Lions at Piranha Park. Nathan Murphy (calf) and Ben Reid (quad) are also set to take on Coburg after recovering from their injury issues. “That’s great news, there,” Pies football manager Geoff Walsh said on the round three episode of Injury Update
https://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-04-03/broomhead-set-to-return-in-vfl

Back