Past Dan Robinson - delisted 2018

They don't need to be. They only need to have the potential to be AFL standard.

That was my issue with Foote and Robinson especially. I felt they were NEAFL players. It's the right call to let them go

aussietomt

Senior List
May 27, 2017
Wagga
AFL Club
Sydney
That was my issue with Foote and Robinson especially. I felt they were NEAFL players. It's the right call to let them go
What an appalling decision to let Marsh and Robinson go. Surely Fox would be called before either of them.
Robinson has been cruelly treated. Called up this year and asked to play all over the place when Jack and Hannebery could not front.
No one will ever convince me that a pepper and salt player (in everything in the middle) like Robinson, was not a better option than the 2018 version of Hannebery.
The club recognised that by accepting in great haste, Hannebery's move to St.Kilda. Sure there were cap extras, that does not excuse a fall off in performance which was recognised by everyone except the selectors in a supposed display of loyalty to a FORMER great player for the Swans.
I am not suggesting for one minute that Robinson would have reached the level of the 2012 to 2016 Hannebery., Very few do.
What did Hannebery bring...non stop, great tackler, good ball winner and tough to the extreme, though he was not overbig, he was so courageous
Robinson has all those attributes, plus the big body that would fit perfectly with Kennedy and Parker, especially when they go forward and he has to carry the load.
Robinson is a little like Hannebery in the pace scenario, and, let's not forget it was Kennedy, O'Keefe, Hannebery and a super quick Jack that excelled in the 2012 grand final, Parker filled in for O'Keefe when the call was made on him. It was never made on Hannebery and the Swans suffered greatly. Robinson was the right man for the job last year and would have been a stand out this year in my opinion.
So now let's have look at another scenario. We have lost 6 senior players and two rookies. They have been replaced thus far by two drafted seniors. The loss of 4 seniors should be covered by Mills, Naismith, Reid and Melican, now fit and hopefully all will stay healthy.
Perhaps you will say that Marsh and Robison are only say 23rd/24th on the list and of course will play NEAFL. We are apparently going to draft 5/6 players who will in all probability be TAC inductees. Hopefully Kinnear will find another like Kelly from Geelong
So......... we have a 2017 disaster and we have 4 players out for several weeks, early in the season. Our selectors are left with Dawson, O,Riordon, Fox, Rose to call up because there is no one else other than, Cameron,Maidment ,Stoddart, Ling ( virtually a new recruit) Amartey, Bell, and a swag of new recruits and maybe some academy top ups. Now maybe I am the world's greatest pessimist, but, who on earth is going out to help these young blokes develop. Even if injuries do not occur, the four I mentioned as replacements for injuries, does not augur well for on field leadership.
What are we thinking after we appeared to fall asleep at draft time.
Finally, good luck Robbo in the weeks ahead. I sincerely hope you get to show just what you can really offer.

aussietomt

Senior List
May 27, 2017
Wagga
AFL Club
Sydney
Honest trier, had a go, all you can ask. Wish him well for the future.
No opinion about what we are left with?

Smith, Grundy, Rampe
Mills, Aliir, Lloyd,
Florent, Kennedy, Cunningham
Hayward, Reid, Heeney
Papley,Franklin, Ronke
Sinclair, Parker,Hewitt
Dawson, McVeigh, Jack, Jones

That leaves,

Cameron, Naismith, Clarke,Melican, Thurlow, O'Riordon, Fox,Rose, Amartey, Bell,Ling, Stoddart, Maibaum, McCarten,Pink, (14)
looks like a further 5/6 draftees and a couple more rookies to build the number to 40/42
Maybe we will be competitive with a good injury run, if not, just watch us fall at the rate of knots.

Last edited:

Smith, Grundy, Rampe
Mills, Aliir, Lloyd,
Hayward, Reid, Heeney
Papley, Reid, Ronke
Sinclair, Parker,Hewitt

That leaves,

Cameron, Naismith, Clarke, Thurlow, O'Riordon, Fox,Rose, Amartey, Bell,Ling, Stoddart, Maibaum, McCarten,Pink, (13)
looks like a further 5/6 draftees and a couple more rookies to build the number to 40/42
Maybe we will be competitive with a good injury run, if not, just watch us fall at the rate of knots.

Robinson who has very average skills wasn’t helping us win games. Rather be pumping games into Dawson in that role or Clarke. Enough is enough of battlers trying their best, we need skills. Robinson’s game awareness although better than Foote is still poor.

Next year we might drop a little but it will help us long- term

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney

Smith, Grundy, Rampe
Mills, Aliir, Lloyd,
Hayward, Reid, Heeney
Papley, Reid, Ronke
Sinclair, Parker,Hewitt

That leaves,

Cameron, Naismith, Clarke, Thurlow, O'Riordon, Fox,Rose, Amartey, Bell,Ling, Stoddart, Maibaum, McCarten,Pink, (13)
Ok

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
IIRC, wasn't Robinson last trade period looking for more opportunities - ie shopping himself about???
Yet found no takers??
Outside of a sensible haircut and not getting into trouble, a la Port players, he just doesn't have any ammo or affect.
I just don't see the 2019 premiers with D.Robinson on the teamsheet, even NEAFL.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
IIRC, wasn't Robinson last trade period looking for more opportunities - ie shopping himself about???
Yet found no takers??
Outside of a sensible haircut and not getting into trouble, a la Port players, he just doesn't have any ammo or affect.
I just don't see the 2019 premiers with D.Robinson on the teamsheet, even NEAFL.
Correct Mr Fu...great to have you back!

SB70

Debutant
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Will definitely find his way to another club in 2019.

So the club must really rate Thurlow and Clarke. Robinson still had so much more upside than downside. Strange decision.

Robinson was solid but I think the issue was that he didn't have much upside - he'd had a few years and got to a reliable player that wont let you down but will never be best 22. I reckon they figure Stoddart, Ling, ORiordon, Rose, etc. would be as good (or close) for depth and offer more potential.
Some of these may never be better than Robinson but they could be. If they are we improve - if not they get cut once we know and try again.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
If Robbo and Marsh are best 22 we aren't winning finals
May weaken the NEAFL team short term but I like swapping good honest toilers for a chance at something better
Nothing wrong with that but you need a certain number of good honest toilers as depth. It's pretty rare that your best 22 or even best 26 are available so you really need around 30 players capable of coming in and playing a role. I don't think we are close to that this year.

And that's fine if this season is simply about regenerating the list and not about contending for a flag but I would have thought we'd be having a serious crack while buddy can still get on the park.

Back