SA The Adelaide Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a big fan of the Semaphore cinema too. Nice to get away from the kids and catch a cheap movie with the mrs in the small cinema too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I found Adelaide really strange for cinemas.

Must be the only city anywhere that doesn't have one of the majors in the city.

I guess everyone must go to Marion, West Lakes or Tea Tree.

I went to the Hoyts at Norwood a few times. When I was having my car serviced I went to the one in the city, the Palace I think it is which was a bastard to find, and watched Dunkirk in a cinema with like a dozen 80 year old men lol.

I went to the Hoyts at Norwood a few times. When I was having my car serviced I went to the one in the city, the Palace I think it is which was a bastard to find, and watched Dunkirk in a cinema with like a dozen 80 year old men lol.

we always go to Hoyts at Salisbury, reclining chairs and you can buy alcohol and take inside the cinema

Depends who you ask on the good areas to live. Most people will list the eastern suburbas, inner northern suburbs as well as Henley, Grange, West Lakes etc.

I lived in Walkerville when I was in Adelaide. Good place to rent but couldn't afford to buy there. I worked off Henley Beach Rd and didn't like the west much really, West Beach is the only redeeming feature. I'd live anywhere in the North east corridor out to Modbury really. I reckon the developments they were doing around Greenacres would be a good place to buy. Still so close to the city when you compare where new developments in Melbourne would be!

There used to be cinemas in Rundle Mall, Hindmarsh Square and Hindley Street not all that long ago. All gone now.

Yeah loved going to Regent Arcade cinemas.
The old marble foyer and the grand ballroom.

Anyone else remember the Hindley cinemas when GREMLINS came out ?
They had a giant gift box where the lid automatically lifted as if Gizmo was peeking out.

I lived in Walkerville when I was in Adelaide. Good place to rent but couldn't afford to buy there. I worked off Henley Beach Rd and didn't like the west much really, West Beach is the only redeeming feature. I'd live anywhere in the North east corridor out to Modbury really. I reckon the developments they were doing around Greenacres would be a good place to buy. Still so close to the city when you compare where new developments in Melbourne would be!

If I had more choice where to live it would be Walkerville/Medindie but unfortunately I am not going to be a doctor, lawyer or lotto winner anytime soon.

New greater union cinema opened up on Hindley St earlier this year. I think in the same spot the old one used to be (not really old enough to remember that one).

Also, noticed that the second hand store at the top of the railway station complex is closed up. I reckon that's been there in some form or another close to my whole life. Vale.

If I had more choice where to live it would be Walkerville/Medindie but unfortunately I am not going to be a doctor, lawyer or lotto winner anytime soon.

I was renting a place in Walkerville for $280p/w. 1.5 bedrooms, I just treated it as 1 bedroom + study, which had new kitchen and bathroom and new floorboards. So cheap. Moved back to Tassie and in a similar area relative to the CBD and it is $340p/w for a 2 bedroom place that is older than me. Whoops, pay rise after tax just goes towards the rent really :oops:

Any suggestions on a good place to stay for 5 adults and 2 kids (18 months and 2 years old) over Easter?
Easter? Hmm West Beach caravan park? This is 8km from city. Adventure holiday park. Glenelg 3km down road. Port Adelaide 8 km down coast.

Horse racing at Oakbank. Monarto Zoo outside Murray Bridge ( long way from caravan park)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easter? Hmm West Beach caravan park? This is 8km from city. Adventure holiday park. Glenelg 3km down road. Port Adelaide 8 km down coast.

Horse racing at Oakbank. Monarto Zoo outside Murray Bridge ( long way from caravan park)

I used to ride my bike out to West Beach along the linear trail and whatever that place is along the path from West Beach to Glenelg with all the cabins would be a great place to stay. 50m stroll to the beach and you would be within what 5-10kms to the city, plus it's close to the airport as well.

I used to ride my bike out to West Beach along the linear trail and whatever that place is along the path from West Beach to Glenelg with all the cabins would be a great place to stay. 50m stroll to the beach and you would be within what 5-10kms to the city.
I did some work there a couple of weeks ago

https://megaadventure.com.au/

osl9x76a2aze6r9q9u5g

Adelaide Shores Caravan Park ( west beach caravan park) (big4)

power_large.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.9517099,138.5069599,16z

Greater Union's been back on Hindley St for a couple of years now.

Palace Nova is arguably the most overrated cinema in the state - overpriced and outdated seats (and I think they're still cash only).

New greater union cinema opened up on Hindley St earlier this year. I think in the same spot the old one used to be (not really old enough to remember that one).

The old one or the OLD old one ??

Used to be on the northern side of Hindley , then moved to southern side.
That was Hoyts iirc , then they built the Greater Union multiplex on the northern side down towards the west end.

Last edited:

Used to be on the northern side of Hindly , then moved to southern side.
That was Hoyts iirc , then they built the Greater Union multiplex on the northern side down towards the west end.

Old old one.

The old old OLD one is now a KFC and Uni Lodge after sitting abandoned for about 15 years.

Grew up in Oakden then lived in Nuriootpa for 2 years.

Also, noticed that the second hand store at the top of the railway station complex is closed up. I reckon that's been there in some form or another close to my whole life. Vale.
Has been closed for a while now, i remember it when I was a kid being there, funny thing though, i never went inside it all that time

Any suggestions on a good place to stay for 5 adults and 2 kids (18 months and 2 years old) over Easter?

I would recommend West Beach caravan park or Adelaide Shores next door to west beach aswell, nice area, good facilities, would look at booking now if you wanted to stay at Easter time

Used to be on the northern side of Hindley , then moved to southern side.

The newer cinemas on the northern side but closer to Morphet Street has turned into a Happy Clapper Church I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back