FTA-TV The Simpsons

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
There was a period in the mid 2000s channel 10 showed these 'adults only' episodes at like 8.30pm fairly regularly... wasn't too hard convicning mum to let me stay up

I gave up going out of my way to watch new episodes by 2003. Ten were being pricks with the scheduling (new episodes for a couple weeks, then repeats for 6 weeks) and even as a teenager it was obvious how far the show had fallen.

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Saw this driving kids to school, had to double back and get one of them to jump out to take a pic...
IMG_1003.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 4 Episode 6 "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie". Aired November 3rd, 1992.

Good episode. Love Bart being Chief Justice of the Supreme Court at the end.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 4 Episode 8 "New Kid on the Block". Aired November 12th, 1992.

A sweet episode where Bart falls in love with new teenage neighbour Laura Powers (played by Sara Gilbert from Roseanne). This reminds me of the 2012 movie Mud. He can't get the girl due to the age gap but she doesn't destroy him and the episode ends with him happier and more confident for the experience. For a show that generally ridicules sitcom conventions, The Simpsons nails heartfelt moments like this.

The other, funnier storyline is Homer getting kicked out of the all you can eat seafood restaurant - Sea Captain McCallister's first appearance in the series - and Lionel Hutz taking the matter to court.

Conan O'Brien wrote this episode.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
No he isn't. He's a comedian who recognises how much s**t he's copped because of Apu.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No he isn't. He's a comedian who recognises how much s**t he's copped because of Apu.

He's perceived as copped. His own insecurities should not be the basis for altering something that never had any intended negative consequences. The show has been around for 30 years. No one saw his nonsense before then because frankly its not as big as he thinks it is. It seems his big issue is that HE has been compared to Apu, which even his parents did in the doco. I can't believe its had any sort of relevant impact but when con artists like Anita Sarkeesian somehow become relevant then I guess it aint surprising. The irony is that Apu is one of the more intelligent, hardworking characters on the show and no cares how Homer portrays middled age 'white' fathers.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
He's perceived as copped. His own insecurities should not be the basis for altering something that never had any intended negative consequences. The show has been around for 30 years. No one saw his nonsense before then because frankly its not as big as he thinks it is. It seems his big issue is that HE has been compared to Apu, which even his parents did in the doco. I can't believe its had any sort of relevant impact but when con artists like Anita Sarkeesian somehow become relevant then I guess it aint surprising. The irony is that Apu is one of the more intelligent, hardworking characters on the show and no cares how Homer portrays middled age 'white' fathers.
Well said.

I have Italian background, I've never had an issue with Fat Tony and the mob references.
I have mates who are Scottish, they aren't outraged by Groundskeeper Willie.
I could go on.

Disgraceful that these overly sensitive PC nuffies have now driven a CARTOON character out of a show. If they're offended then don't watch. But don't have their insecurities ruin it for everyone else. Inconsiderate twats!

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Well said.

I have Italian background, I've never had an issue with Fat Tony and the mob references.
I could go on.

Disgraceful that these overly sensitive PC nuffies have now driven a CARTOON character out of a show. If they're offended then don't watch. But don't have their insecurities ruin it for everyone else. Inconsiderate twats!
Funny how they pick on the whole 'white guy voicing an Indian character' thing, too. Happens with the likes of Carl, Dr Hibbert etc. as well. Hell, an African American that's voiced by a white guy on FG got his own spinoff

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I could go on.

European kids in America get to grow up as normal, white Americans. That'd be why none of those comedians have made a documentary about it.

Growing up Indian in Australia, I received a lot of abuse based on the Apu character, especially because of his accents. And many of my friends have also been victim to this. But I don’t think The Simpsons is completely to blame. There are other Indians in the American media they also come off negatively. Some people started to call me Raj in high school because of The Big Bang Theory.

It’s this ridicule growing up that is the cause of this, and the reason this move needed to happen. Yes, you guys say your not affected by Fat Tony, but where you day after day taunted with “thank you, come again”, and 7-Eleven/Kwik-E-Mart jokes?? That’s where the difference lies.

I do agree that at the conception of Apu, they could not have foreseen the result of the character. But they need to keep up with the times, and the change is needed.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Having grown up in the same era as Hari and gone to many different schools with a surprisingly big multicultural attendance I don't recall any Apu related remarks towards Indians. In general, sure, as the Simpsons were huge and numerous phrases were said from almost all the characters.

All schools are different in their own way so maybe I didn't mix with the same people who would make associations frequently.

However, I do recall a lot of these:
'That's a bloody outrage, that is!'
'That's an odd name, I'd have them called chazzwazzers'
'I see you've played knifey spoony before'
'Bee-er?'
'We've argued it down to a booting.'

Jan 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In all honesty, I gained so much knowledge about Indian culture/beliefs/lifestyle from Apu as a kid. Sure, it was exaggerated and basic, but he was so much more than just a stereotype.

What a time to be alive.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Growing up Indian in Australia, I received a lot of abuse based on the Apu character, especially because of his accents. And many of my friends have also been victim to this. But I don’t think The Simpsons is completely to blame. There are other Indians in the American media they also come off negatively. Some people started to call me Raj in high school because of The Big Bang Theory.

It’s this ridicule growing up that is the cause of this, and the reason this move needed to happen. Yes, you guys say your not affected by Fat Tony, but where you day after day taunted with “thank you, come again”, and 7-Eleven/Kwik-E-Mart jokes?? That’s where the difference lies.

I do agree that at the conception of Apu, they could not have foreseen the result of the character. But they need to keep up with the times, and the change is needed.
Fair enough mate, I respect your view on it, given the situation has impacted you more than me over the years.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
European kids in America get to grow up as normal, white Americans. That'd be why none of those comedians have made a documentary about it.
On a slight tangent, I've always wondered why blacks in America are referred to as African American, but the whites are never referred to as European American..

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

BREAKING NEWS: Teenagers can be jerks.
Sorry that you were bullied but no, the censorship you call change is not needed. Comedy is silly and exagerates things for effect, taking your stance would see half the Simpsons characters cancelled.
Where do you draw the line when "my feelings" becomes a valid argument?

Back