Media Are hit-outs useful.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted to see how useful the hit-out actually was. I mean, does the ruckman winning the tap translate to scoreboard ascendancy?

I looked at a plot of a team's total hit-outs against their percentage on the ladder. I figured a team's percentage is a decent indication of success on the scoreboard. Here's what i found:

upload_2018-10-28_23-40-20.png

It appears there is a fairly decent correlation between hitouts and percentage (Pearson's correlation coefficient of 0.69). Considering the sheer number of other factors involved, this is a fairly substantial correlation.

It appears that ruck taps in this game have a strong impact on final score board.

I wanted to see how useful the hit-out actually was. I mean, does the ruckman winning the tap translate to scoreboard ascendancy?

I looked at a plot of a team's total hit-outs against their percentage on the ladder. I figured a team's percentage is a decent indication of success on the scoreboard. Here's what i found:

View attachment 579489

It appears there is a fairly decent correlation between hitouts and percentage (Pearson's correlation coefficient of 0.69). Considering the sheer number of other factors involved, this is a fairly substantial correlation.

It appears that ruck taps in this game have a strong impact on final score board.

Oh s**t, look what you've done. Don't enable them!

Oh s**t, look what you've done. Don't enable them!
I know I know....

I actually thought I'd be putting them in their tall, thin, uncoordinated box. But the stats actually paint a rather ugly picture that they are an necessary evil.

I know I know....

I actually thought I'd be putting them in their tall, thin, uncoordinated box. But the stats actually paint a rather ugly picture that they are an necessary evil.

It figures. Hitouts only occur after goals in the sim. Higher score equals more hitouts. Teams with more high scores tend to win more games. Therefore win more games equals more hitouts.

It figures. Hitouts only occur after goals in the sim. Higher score equals more hitouts. Teams with more high scores tend to win more games. Therefore win more games equals more hitouts.
But you could hit it directly to your opponents and concede more goals and still have heaps of hitouts.

But you could hit it directly to your opponents and concede more goals and still have heaps of hitouts.

You're right, my explanation would support a parabola not a linear distribution.

Rucks are and always will be the most significant position on the qooty field.
First touch of the qooty increases the opportunity of any team to move fwd and score, it's just the midget mids that continually f@ck up and cough the qooty up that hurt teams and the fwds who can't kick straight :(

First touch of the qooty increases the opportunity of any team to move fwd and score, it's just the midget mids that continually f@ck up and cough the qooty up that hurt teams and the fwds who can't kick straight :(
Took the words right out of my mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a the ball bounce off your scone does count as a first touch, yes. It then takes us mighty mids to clean up after you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back