Rumour The aftermath when Demetriou flew to Adelaide in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Moves happen 3 years out, players position themselves, bids are in and rejected. 24-18 months are when the serious moves are made and no less than 12 months out the deal is announced. This leaves ALL players time to set themselves. Some to carry on as normal or others to start the infrastructure.

ie cricket and tennis announced 12 months out

Yeah, fair enough.

Apparently the current deal expires end of 2022 ( http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/afl-on-the-verge-of-signing-new-tv-deal )

Four years away ... they really are getting in early.

Demetriou is at Bastion sports consultancy now. Hird was at Gemba sports consultancy firm.

Evans, Hird and Demetriou were mates behind the scenes.

Bock was always seen to get off lightly.

Makes sense. When and who set up Bastion (I think it was Hamish McLachlan).

Who helped Hird set up Gemba? And when?

June 2010, there is a media article where Demetriou and Fitzpatrick tell Essendon to "be bold" and move to Melbourne Airport. That comment never made sense... "be bold".

June 2010, Rudd overthrow whilst all were watching World Cup soccer (i.e. distracted).

AFL works in PR as its strength (i.e. feed the masses crap).

Ahhh he sort of had me until the 'Essendon are scapegoats' thing.

My first issue is 'how dumb do you have to be to send a PED-user to your new golden child on the Gold Coast' but then... yeah. Just because people make lots of money and have important roles, doesn't make them smart. Wouldn't shock me. This bloke jumped into my cab once years ago and tried convincing me to go to Kittens...

Holy s**t do you drive a cab

Moves happen 3 years out, players position themselves, bids are in and rejected. 24-18 months are when the serious moves are made and no less than 12 months out the deal is announced. This leaves ALL players time to set themselves. Some to carry on as normal or others to start the infrastructure.

ie cricket and tennis announced 12 months out
Don't the AFL make the choice though, i don't think they are going to sell to an enemy.

Any league that only has two teams in Victoria is doomed to failure. Just not enough supply to meet demand.
Like Stars and Renegades?

Fans flock to whatever is interesting and if the players are paid better than at the AFL then they'll head over too. If the competition is short enough the AFL will bend around it's season to allow it's players to play both as well.

Like Stars and Renegades?

Fans flock to whatever is interesting and if the players are paid better than at the AFL then they'll head over too. If the competition is short enough the AFL will bend around it's season to allow it's players to play both as well.
Football league, mate. Aussie Rules, to be precise. Start a league with two just Victorian clubs and you're dead in the water.

Football league, mate. Aussie Rules, to be precise. Start a league with two just Victorian clubs and you're dead in the water.
You could fit four players from the current Melbourne teams each across those two teams, and if you isolate it so all four are on one side then I think you'll get people interested.

After that it would be rusting them on.

You could fit four players from the current Melbourne teams each across those two teams, and if you isolate it so all four are on one side then I think you'll get people interested.

After that it would be rusting them on.
Have you been to Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a matter of time before something like this happens I reckon.

You’ve got a product that is broadcast on FTA / Fox in much the same way as it was in the 90’s ... same camera angles, crusty old ex-footballers blabbering their pearls of wisdom, same tired old commentators trying to create drama out of nothing.

It’s ripe for disruption. I would have thought somebody would have stepped in during the last broadcast deal.

But I just can’t see this happening before the next broadcasting deal (another 3-4 years away?). The current broadcasters have an iron clad contract with the AFL, the AFL have an iron clad contract with the club’s.

Unless a new consortium wants to start up its new comp with a whole new set of teams - see GWS and GCS for what that looks like.
You really think so?

Guys are even hesitant to stay in the same (premiere) competition for an extra two hundred grand a year if it doesn’t serve them what they want - generally players will move to be home or they’ll stay loyal. If guys like Martin and McGovern won’t move for two more years and a mil and a half more at the end of it, how much will you have to offer? Genuinely 2.5 mil a season type stuff I’d say.

The AFL would put an embargo on whoever plays in the Amazon not being able to play in the AFL again. It’ll just be 10 teams like the Essendon top ups. Who will watch that?

Demetriou is at Bastion sports consultancy now. Hird was at Gemba sports consultancy firm.

Evans, Hird and Demetriou were mates behind the scenes.

Bock was always seen to get off lightly.

Makes sense. When and who set up Bastion (I think it was Hamish McLachlan).

Who helped Hird set up Gemba? And when?

June 2010, there is a media article where Demetriou and Fitzpatrick tell Essendon to "be bold" and move to Melbourne Airport. That comment never made sense... "be bold".

June 2010, Rudd overthrow whilst all were watching World Cup soccer (i.e. distracted).

AFL works in PR as its strength (i.e. feed the masses crap).
What’s the connection between Kevin Rudd and the AFL? And Tullamarine?!

Demetriou was in Adelaide June 16/17 2010, he was looking at Adelaide Oval as well, why the interest in stadiums/home bases in June 2010?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...t/news-story/2b4af6e2c9d31f807627d6a2f8a6957c

AFL Port cash 'no handout'
Michelangelo Rucci, The Advertiser
June 17, 2010 1:40pm

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou will arrive in Adelaide today with Port Adelaide expecting him to carry a cheque to help the struggling club.
Demetriou's cheque - and any financial commitments from the SANFL - runs the risk of being interpreted as a handout to an ailing Power.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...504bff860?sv=6b3f1ed42f597ab2fc28f8878f1691b0

Move to Oval or perish: Andrew Demetriou
MICHELANGELO RUCCI, The Advertiser
June 17, 2010 9:26pm

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has virtually closed the Great Stadium Debate by telling the SA football community it must move to a new Adelaide Oval or perish at AAMI Stadium.

"The redevelopment of Adelaide Oval is a once in a lifetime opportunity for football and cricket," said Mr Demetriou yesterday after meeting all key stakeholders in SA football and Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond.

Mr Demetriou last night confirmed more money was to be made by the Crows and Power at Adelaide Oval than at AAMI Stadium.

What’s the connection between Kevin Rudd and the AFL? And Tullamarine?!

Timing. See my post above on Adelaide Oval.

SA footy fraternity very silent on the Essendon matter too from memory, more noise coming from WA at the time which has its own footy mafia via Seven West Media and Clayton Utz Perth offices.

This will test the unspoken rule amongst clubs that you don’t make a play for an academy kid well ahead of his value.

Will be interesting to see if this gets thrown out the window at some point.
I still think clubs bid on players early on though if the players seem to be ranked early. For instance Melbourne placed a bid on Mills at 3. I’d say if a club with a top 10 pick ranks Quanor at that pick they’d make a bid. But I think most people have him around 15 earliest.

You really think so?

Guys are even hesitant to stay in the same (premiere) competition for an extra two hundred grand a year if it doesn’t serve them what they want - generally players will move to be home or they’ll stay loyal. If guys like Martin and McGovern won’t move for two more years and a mil and a half more at the end of it, how much will you have to offer? Genuinely 2.5 mil a season type stuff I’d say.

The AFL would put an embargo on whoever plays in the Amazon not being able to play in the AFL again. It’ll just be 10 teams like the Essendon top ups. Who will watch that?
Yep, the only way it would even have a chance of working would be to get existing clubs on board, say if the big clubs got sick of subsidising the likes of North and St Kilda. But then the AFL owns the rights to team colours and nicknames etc. Hard sell.

Ahhh he sort of had me until the 'Essendon are scapegoats' thing.

My first issue is 'how dumb do you have to be to send a PED-user to your new golden child on the Gold Coast' but then... yeah. Just because people make lots of money and have important roles, doesn't make them smart. Wouldn't shock me. This bloke jumped into my cab once years ago and tried convincing me to go to Kittens...
And did you go? Would like to hear your thoughts on that establishment.

Timing. See my post above on Adelaide Oval.

SA footy fraternity very silent on the Essendon matter too from memory, more noise coming from WA at the time which has its own footy mafia via Seven West Media and Clayton Utz Perth offices.
But why? I can get it if Demetriou is telling clubs to do things because it's going to have sway in politics – and he has polly mates – but then where does the doping come into this? Or Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd? What about Demetriou's and Hird's companies? Are you inferring Windy Hill/Alberton/AAMI Stadium literally had evidence at them?

Did he want clubs to quickly make up their mind re: location, so funding could be confirmed, so if a new PM came in and decided to go hard on the AFL and penalise these clubs, they'd already have the security of a home ground?

He was done cold but ASADA dropped the case. He may have cut some sort of deal to just retire.
Sounds likely. I think his injury still hadn’t repaired (even after the magic cream) so he wasn’t going to play on anyway. ASADA should have still gone after him which would have stopped him from working within the industry for the duration of the ban.

But why? I can get it if Demetriou is telling clubs to do things because it's going to have sway in politics – and he has polly mates – but then where does the doping come into this? Or Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd? What about Demetriou's and Hird's companies? Are you inferring Windy Hill/Alberton/AAMI Stadium literally had evidence at them?

Did he want clubs to quickly make up their mind re: location, so funding could be confirmed, so if a new PM came in and decided to go hard on the AFL and penalise these clubs, they'd already have the security of a home ground?

Old school VFL and ALP have always had an alignment (think Bill Kelty ex ACTU President and AFL Commissioner).

Rudd Gillard changeover in June 23 2010, one week after Demetriou in Adelaide.

Not saying direct link, but Demetriou might have heard street gossip about ALP rumblings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back