Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if they voted in favor, it'd be meaningless. Is the State of Tasmania can't make it happen, then what power would a local council have to influence the AFL to such a degree?

Clearly it was just a local councilor trying to drum up some votes by making it look like he was doing something. (Not unlike the Tas government 'officially applying' for the 17th or 18th license after they'd already been given to GC & GWS).

Subiaco is obviously stuffed with the footy moving. But West Coast training at Lathlain hardly matters to people that live north of the river.

Subiaco Oval is a dump and should be knocked down, it should not be heritage listed.

Not sure or not if it should be heritage listed but it has served its purpose and been the home to WA football for a very long time. Through multiple upgrades they never really addressed the issues with the place and with some smarter thinking many years back it would be a premier arena now. The oval itself is second to none but the fans simply have a poor facility. No issue for the actual players though.
The simple facts are for them to maintain it as a sporting arena it needs considerable money put into it which the government won't do.

Even if they voted in favor, it'd be meaningless. Is the State of Tasmania can't make it happen, then what power would a local council have to influencs the AFL to such a degree?

Clearly it was just a local councilor trying to drum up some votes by making it look like he was doing something. (Not unlike the Tas government 'officially applying' for the 17th or 18th license after they'd already been given to GC & GWS).
What has Tassie got to to do with this...? Pretty wayward cheap shot. They lost out after bidding due to the AFL's reliance on tv money, which a third WA side would have no problems with as a metro area v Tassie's regional status. A completely different scenario with no similarities in circumstances or events...

The professionally constructed Tasmanian bid did make the AFL shut up and listen, though. Fitzpatrick previously sung derogatory songs like a drunken sailor, and Andy said "not in my lifetime", but both were forced to suck it up and try to not look like idiots denying the very obvious, when they conceded the professionalism and seriousness of the bid. Calling them "next cab off the rank" is still a deflection, because none of these guys have any intention of entertaining the bid due to those tv reasons, but none of them are being arseholes about it any more...for Tasmanians dealing with the usual s**t from mainlanders, this is a win in the stepping stone sense..

What has Tassie got to to do with this...? Pretty wayward cheap shot. They lost out after bidding due to the AFL's reliance on tv money, which a third WA side would have no problems with as a metro area v Tassie's regional status. A completely different scenario with no similarities in circumstances or events...

The professionally constructed Tasmanian bid did make the AFL shut up and listen, though. Fitzpatrick previously sung derogatory songs like a drunken sailor, and Andy said "not in my lifetime", but both were forced to suck it up and try to not look like idiots denying the very obvious, when they conceded the professionalism and seriousness of the bid. Calling them "next cab off the rank" is still a deflection, because none of these guys have any intention of entertaining the bid due to those tv reasons, but none of them are being arseholes about it any more...for Tasmanians dealing with the usual s**t from mainlanders, this is a win in the stepping stone sense..

So pointing out that a state government couldn't shift the AFL has no bearing on the likelihood of a local council getting them to add a team?

Can you provide other examples for comparison of government trying to get the AFL to add a local team added that I might have used?

“Now that the Eagles are moving south of the river, north of the river will want its own team.”

You have to laugh at the idiot that came up with that.

The only objections to their Lathlain development are from those people that live in Lathlain. I doubt there'd be 1 West Coast fan that will drop their support because of it. If there was a 3rd team in Perth, Subiaco would be the last place you'd put it.

For those living outside WA, Subiaco is one of those brainless NIMBY councils that have spent years ******* up their own backyard as well as pissing off pretty much every football fan that goes there. It dawned on them about 2 years ago that football is actually a good thing for the place. Sadly for them it was too late, and football pisses on their grave.

For those living outside WA, Subiaco is one of those brainless NIMBY councils that have spent years ******* up their own backyard

Is there a council in the country that doesn't fit this description?

Not sure or not if it should be heritage listed but it has served its purpose and been the home to WA football for a very long time. Through multiple upgrades they never really addressed the issues with the place and with some smarter thinking many years back it would be a premier arena now. The oval itself is second to none but the fans simply have a poor facility. No issue for the actual players though.
The simple facts are for them to maintain it as a sporting arena it needs considerable money put into it which the government won't do.
Maybe the best solution is to copy what they did with Waverly Park where the oval is kept for public use and only one section of the grand stand (the most significant section) is heritage listed. The rest of the land is sold off for houseing.

Maybe the best solution is to copy what they did with Waverly Park where the oval is kept for public use and only one section of the grand stand (the most significant section) is heritage listed. The rest of the land is sold off for houseing.

Outside the oval itself, there isn't much extra land.

Keep the old heritage gates and some stands, use as a WAFL ground.

WA though can support another team, but not at Subi, that is a bad idea.

So pointing out that a state government couldn't shift the AFL has no bearing on the likelihood of a local council getting them to add a team?

Can you provide other examples for comparison of government trying to get the AFL to add a local team added that I might have used?
Well, you could start with places which are AFL targets - the GC and relevant ones in West Sydney have a much better relationship with the AFL than most. I'm sure Shangai found the AFL most agreeable on their recent visits too. You've brought up Tassie completely discounting the most basic of facts - the AFL is amenable to the idea of WA teams, and not to Tasmania - they would entertain the idea of extra mainland sides, even if they haven't committed to any, simply because they've already started down those paths. So council negotiations will look very different - there is no meaningful comparison...

Well, you could start with places which are AFL targets - the GC and relevant ones in West Sydney have a much better relationship with the AFL than most. I'm sure Shangai found the AFL most agreeable on their recent visits too. You've brought up Tassie completely discounting the most basic of facts - the AFL is amenable to the idea of WA teams, and not to Tasmania - they would entertain the idea of extra mainland sides, even if they haven't committed to any, simply because they've already started down those paths. So council negotiations will look very different - there is no meaningful comparison...

So in your mind the AFL is open to anything except Tasmania?

You really should get your persecution complex checked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont waste your time.
The AFLs prime raison d'etre is to keep the old clubs alive. Also to expand to where no one cares about the game & they can play the big media rights con, & the AFL control everything.
I mean how else can the 2nd biggest footy market have only 2 clubs. Also start 2 new clubs at the same time. The risk is enormous. If economy & media take a hit it could become quite interesting.
I just hope their AFL arse isn't hanging out too far.

So in your mind the AFL is open to anything except Tasmania?
You really should get your persecution complex checked out.
Where did say "anything"...? I was very specific in naming places, and have been totally consistent in my point, which is that both the WA and Tasmanian examples can't be compared because of their differing contexts. You wanted one example of governmental compliance in regards to AFL expansion, and I gave you two. You can then say by way of rebuttal that it was the AFL and not the councils who moved in first on the GC and in WS, but then so can I, because the notion of a third WA team has been brought up by the AFL themselves before...this councillor is just adding to the conversation...which then of course further divides our two examples, because the VFL/AFL has never once come politely knocking on the door of Tasmanian footy, just like the Vikings never knocked on the door of Eastern England...

As for my persecution complex, the simple and irrevocable fact that Tasmania has been absolutely shafted by the mainland in regards to Australian Footy is something me and the shrink have discussed at length, and we've come to one inescapable conclusion - a home grown Tasmanian side wearing dark green and built with the sole purpose of f###ing mainlanders up on a weekly basis would make all that is wrong with the world right again. Would it succeed in the modern era? Who cares...such thoughts never bother Richmond...

:thumbsu: too true, opportunities squandered but it involved money beyond the scope of the game. It was Subis home ground, the finals, state games, an oval not a stadium.
Remember taking in a Bee Gees concert from the 3 tier stand.
Footy in WA in 1986 was unrelated to say 2000.
WHY heritage list it ?

WHY heritage list it ?

395598314d07bc1e5aa7b5bd95b32dd2

Not withstanding my opinion that Freo Oval is actually the real home of football in the west, i very much doubt that all parts of the ground will be knocked down, it will probably end up like the Barracks at the top of St Georges Terrace, which BTW was knocked down as it impeded the Premiers view down St Georges Terrace.

As someone who has done some work at Parliament house i can guarantee the Premiers office sits square in the middle of the view down the terrace.

Upgrade Arena Joondalup and add in a Joondalup team

For the TV/Media Rights deal after the next one.....
Current TV Rights deal (2017-2022)
Next TV/Media Rights deal (2023-2027/2028?)
Following TV/Media Rights deal (2028/2029....)

Therefore around 2030 plus another club.... Where should the 20th AFL club come from? Tasmania? Castle Coast? New Zealand? ACT?

For the TV/Media Rights deal after the next one.....
Current TV Rights deal (2017-2022)
Next TV/Media Rights deal (2023-2027/2028?)
Following TV/Media Rights deal (2028/2029....)

Therefore around 2030 plus another club.... Where should the 20th AFL club come from? Tasmania? Castle Coast? New Zealand? ACT?

Where/what is the Castle Coast?

WA3 & Tas1 now.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back