Rookie 44. Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

These kind of signings are awesome, I'll be following this guy closely. He has the kind of story where you just want to see him succeed, and he can probably do it.

Tried to make it as a basketballer in the US despite being not quite 6 foot.....just the type of crazy optimism and ambition needed when trying to make it as a small forward in Carlton's forward line ... :p

Agreed. And college basketball ain't no joke. So he is already used competing a high levrl

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tried to make it as a basketballer in the US despite being not quite 6 foot.....just the type of crazy optimism and ambition needed when trying to make it as a small forward in Carlton's forward line ... :p

Yup, most blokes would have called it quits on basketball VS giving it a decent crack, you can't teach that kind of determination.

And was that our untried 179cm ex basketballer - Matt Owies - outmarking Lachie Henderson?
Followed up by a nothing kick by LH out of full back, only to see it rebound straight back over his head for another goal?
The game appears to have passed him by.

I’d love to see this guy get a game or two late in the season as he seems to have a knack for getting to the right spots and knows where the goals are... on a regular basis. Not sure if he has the tank yet, but hopefully after another half dozen games this will be a level or two higher.

Seems to be coming along nicely - 6 goals over the past 2 weeks.

Hard to tell whether he's genuinely progressing or simply enjoying the extra space afforded due to less players on the ground, but they're encouraging numbers regardless.

Has to be of real benefit to him training alongside and learning from Eddie too.

Depending on how he goes through the year - and of course how the team progresses - he may get an opportunity late in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be coming along nicely - 6 goals over the past 2 weeks.

Hard to tell whether he's genuinely progressing or simply enjoying the extra space afforded due to less players on the ground, but they're encouraging numbers regardless.

Has to be of real benefit to him training alongside and learning from Eddie too.

Depending on how he goes through the year - and of course how the team progresses - he may get an opportunity late in the season.

The counter argument to that, for me, would be if it were so much easier why isn't everyone putting up those numbers?

Obviously the extra space must help, but he's also doing something right. I'd like to see him get a crack soon but I doubt he will unless the likes of Cuners or Eddie get nicked.

The counter argument to that, for me, would be if it were so much easier why isn't everyone putting up those numbers?

Obviously the extra space must help, but he's also doing something right. I'd like to see him get a crack soon but I doubt he will unless the likes of Cuners or Eddie get nicked.
Hope he doesn't get too disheartened with no run. With his ballin history and style, he obviously has that 'thing', and capacity for application that good sports people need. Sometimes coaches just get a mindset on people and won't give them a chance. (Gary Ablett Snr was the best example, Vis: you need to leave Hawthorn and play country footy, so he moves to Geelong, LOL); He has done plenty recently, and is gritty, fast and has the 'vision thing'. I'd give him a couple of runs, instead of wasting away for more bench time, after getting his footy legs back last year. Particularly when in "hubs", he would show his worth. Lots of other clubs are letting their new blokes get a go even earlier. Bring him on some time soon Blue Baggers. He has it for sure.

Not happy with his acceleration off the mark in the footage they've chosen. Another who looks to have had their running technique go down the shitter in their time with us. Still looked in decent shape in 2020, so I'm interested to know what we've modified in the off-season because it seems to be a broader issue within the playing group.

Comparison footage:

Last edited:
Wonder what this guy has to do to get a game? Even the way they spoke about his four goals last week was like a back handed slight, Oh, he got them in the first half. Well, he got them, right? What is the thinking with him, he achieves all the time, yet no reward? Like they have made up their mind, no matter what he does, no game. So silly, people need a chance to prove themselves, give them a few games to show their worth, not keep them "developing". Which means nothing if you have his all round sporting ability, smarts and attitude. He is consistantly hard at it, and scoring also, from what I have seen of him. Time for the opportunity, not just dragging him along for the ride, and not to be dropped at the first hiccup.

Wonder what this guy has to do to get a game? Even the way they spoke about his four goals last week was like a back handed slight, Oh, he got them in the first half. Well, he got them, right? What is the thinking with him, he achieves all the time, yet no reward? Like they have made up their mind, no matter what he does, no game. So silly, people need a chance to prove themselves, give them a few games to show their worth, not keep them "developing". Which means nothing if you have his all round sporting ability, smarts and attitude. He is consistantly hard at it, and scoring also, from what I have seen of him. Time for the opportunity, not just dragging him along for the ride, and not to be dropped at the first hiccup.
If you ain't good enough you ain't good enough, bloke needs to work on some basic fundamentals if he's going to do anything at AFL level

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you ain't good enough you ain't good enough, bloke needs to work on some basic fundamentals if he's going to do anything at AFL level

So big bad Brokes, what the the basic fundamentals of which you speak? It is a pretty simple game, made over complicated by over analysis. Can you kick, mark, handball, tackle, put your body on the line, score, bring in others to the game, go hard and have an attitude to win? So big Brokes, give us the drum on "fundamentals" there chum. Given that the bloke has played for Australia in another sport. I rest my case with the Gary Ablett senior situation. He was told that he didn't have what is required for VFL footy and to go and play in the country. SO he did, at Geelong. Terrible wasn't he. Basic fundamentals is a nonsense cliche for keeping old farts in the game who are passed productive contributions. Owies is a ready made AFL player, but geniuses overthink everything with why he shouldn't be playing, when he has so much more upside than their "analysis", Brokes.

So big bad Brokes, what the the basic fundamentals of which you speak? It is a pretty simple game, made over complicated by over analysis. Can you kick, mark, handball, tackle, put your body on the line, score, bring in others to the game, go hard and have an attitude to win? So big Brokes, give us the drum on "fundamentals" there chum. Given that the bloke has played for Australia in another sport. I rest my case with the Gary Ablett senior situation. He was told that he didn't have what is required for VFL footy and to go and play in the country. SO he did, at Geelong. Terrible wasn't he. Basic fundamentals is a nonsense cliche for keeping old farts in the game who are passed productive contributions. Owies is a ready made AFL player, but geniuses overthink everything with why he shouldn't be playing, when he has so much more upside than their "analysis", Brokes.
Wowzers! Fired up!

He can't kick, hows that?

Edit: no but seriously, he played college ball (not representing Australia, in fact way off it). Look I love his desire and his knack for goals, but he genuinely is a long way off it

Last edited:
He can't kick, hows that?

Edit: no but seriously, he played college ball (not representing Australia, in fact way off it). Look I love his desire and his knack for goals, but he genuinely is a long way off it

See Jimmae Youtube posts above re representing Australia, albeit as a junior, but still, representing the best of the crop in Oz at the time, thanks. Another bloke who "can't kick" is Nat Fyfe, but he has two Brownlow's despite this. Still, he can't kick, so really should not be getting a game by your logic? Not saying Owies is a Fyfe type, but he is very consistent, yet gets no reward. He can't kick, but kicked four last week, oh, right, how does that square up? It is nonsense.

A big problem with AFL is people talk about it like quantum physics, when it is more like Newtons Law of Gravity, fairly straight forward. That is why Sydney folk love the Swans, they might not understand Aussie Rules, but see the inherent beauty and simplicity in it compared to Hit, Bang, Stop, NRL. If Owies consistently scores highly compared to his cohort, it means he is doing something they are not, but people get all pure and "analytical", when they should give results and consistent effort some reward. Coaches need to stop stringing people along with no "objective" reason for holding them back, just their "feel for the game". Which is largely a nonsense, with a few exceptions. If a person is winning swimming or athletic races, or golf tournaments they get recognised for their results, not their "form" or stroke, or stride or swing for swimming or athletics or golf. The same should apply to team sports, but in this case, and many others, it doesn't. It's all "expert analysis of short comings". Such nonsense. Give the kid a few games in a row and see what happens, their a few whose place he could easily fill, and we know that.

See Jimmae Youtube posts above re representing Australia, albeit as a junior, but still, representing the best of the crop in Oz at the time, thanks. Another bloke who "can't kick" is Nat Fyfe, but he has two Brownlow's despite this. Still, he can't kick, so really should not be getting a game by your logic? Not saying Owies is a Fyfe type, but he is very consistent, yet gets no reward. He can't kick, but kicked four last week, oh, right, how does that square up? It is nonsense.

A big problem with AFL is people talk about it like quantum physics, when it is more like Newtons Law of Gravity, fairly straight forward. That is why Sydney folk love the Swans, they might not understand Aussie Rules, but see the inherent beauty and simplicity in it compared to Hit, Bang, Stop, NRL. If Owies consistently scores highly compared to his cohort, it means he is doing something they are not, but people get all pure and "analytical", when they should give results and consistent effort some reward. Coaches need to stop stringing people along with no "objective" reason for holding them back, just their "feel for the game". Which is largely a nonsense, with a few exceptions. If a person is winning swimming or athletic races, or golf tournaments they get recognised for their results, not their "form" or stroke, or stride or swing for swimming or athletics or golf. The same should apply to team sports, but in this case, and many others, it doesn't. It's all "expert analysis of short comings". Such nonsense. Give the kid a few games in a row and see what happens, their a few whose place he could easily fill, and we know that.
I meant field kicking specifically - and no, Fyfe certainly can kick

I meant field kicking specifically - and no, Fyfe certainly can kick

Fyfe is often criticized for his kicking, but Fyfe makes up for it in other ways. You are doing exactly what I said, pontificating about a perceived "shortcoming", when there is plenty more on offer and your opinion on 'field kicking' is just that, an opinion, a prejudice in fact, based on no hard evidence. Regardless, No one is perfect in all aspects of the game. Results, NOT opinions are what matters, but they are overlooked by "experts" and their ingrained prejudices. So many peoples careers have been ruined by "experts" like John Kennedy at Hawthorn telling Gary Ablett he wasn't good enough and to go play in the country. Based on the same premise, empty expert analysis. Ablett's case proves the point, writ large.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back