Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks promising. As a sport I think we undervalue someone who can do all of the basics very well:

Good size
Good speed
Neat skills off both sides
Clean set shot
Good footy brain
Good endurance

Hopefully a 200 game journeyman at worst.

Didn't see his old man play as before my time (AFL wise).
so what was his father like as a player ?

In my experience the apple doesn't tend to fall too far from the tree, so the sons tend to inherit a lot of their fathers traits

In my experience the apple doesn't tend to fall too far from the tree, so the sons tend to inherit a lot of their fathers traits

Started out as a rover, and then was switched to run with roles.

Played in 3 x state of origin teams for Victoria, was no mug.

It's been covered a bit earlier in the thread I think, but...

A goal sneak at Geelong.
Became a run-with/tagger at North, mainly on opposition wingers or outside players from memory.
Hard as nails, fiercely competitive, great tank, and a bit of toe. His forward craft from his Geelong days meant that he was handy when the ball went our way too.

As a Geelong player in particular, he reminded me of Max Headroom...

robert-scott-of-the-cats-in-action-during-the-round-11-afl-match-the-picture-id71131470

hqdefault.jpg

one of many favourite moments from the 96 GF
as I remember we were down and Lockett choked then we got going
possibly after Kingy stomped on one of their blokes heads
R Scott in the middle tackles one guy, tackles another guy and then tackles a third guy
if Junior is made of that stuff will not be dropped once he gets in

I don't remember plugger chocking in the 96 Granny. I recall him kicking 6 goals although I think Mick played a good game on him, shows how great the big fella was.

I was a bit wet behind the ears to understand the subtleties of a role player like Scott Sr at the time. One key match-up I do recall him playing successfully was as a fullback.

Yep as weird as it sounds, Malthouse went through a period of (gun winger) Peter Matera playing as a one out forward during games so Pagan employed Scott as a 'key' defender during these periods. It was actually a very good match-up and was repeated for 2-3 games. Think one of the papers even wrote it up as like watching a scaled down version of Carey-Jakovich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remember plugger chocking in the 96 Granny. I recall him kicking 6 goals although I think Mick played a good game on him, shows how great the big fella was.

Yeah, every man and his dog helped Mick out too. Archer in from the side, Laidley (couragously) blocking him, Capuano dropping in at CHB as well. Big fella did get a little frustrated at times though. But yeah, Kingy breaking Obrien's cheekbone/jaw was a bit of a turning point and got momentum going our way.

Yeah, every man and his dog helped Mick out too. Archer in from the side, Laidley (couragously) blocking him, Capuano dropping in at CHB as well. Big fella did get a little frustrated at times though. But yeah, Kingy breaking Obrien's cheekbone/jaw was a bit of a turning point and got momentum going our way.

Great observation.

Arch gets recognition for his work on that day, but IMO, the most insanely courageous moment of the day was when Laidley stood under a high ball with Plugger bearing down on him (2nd quarter?), and Lockett should be commended for not trying to kill him.

He was an incredibly courageous footballer for his frame..

Alot of people rate Bailey Scott quite high. Iv watched all his tapes recently, were defiantly getting a solid kid here, has leadership qualities also.

And has a tough buzz cut. Very happy he chose us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back