Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Dumont injure himself late in our last game of the season?
Pre existing injury according to our football manager :

“It’s an injury Trent has been dealing with from early in the year and more credit has to go to our medical team for the way they’ve managed it,” Joyce said.

What was wrong with Taz? He didn't look "right" for a fair part of the year.

Any ideas of the plans for BBM revealed in your heated chats? Or will I be firing up the sat nav again in 2019?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Has a knee injury and that isn't the laceration that was afterwards. ( sorry don't know if I answered your question earlier)

Very happy to see the hands on the back rule finally scrapped.

Browny, shunt the first campaigner that blocks your run at the footy in 2019.

Still can't apply any pressure though

He and Hester were seated courtside at tonight's Melb Utd basketball game. I don't think he stood up once and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the two of them were carried home still seated in their seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he just thought the game was a bit ho hum?

Doubt it. He appeared to be loving it and the fact the opposition coach kept walking right in front of him to block his view gave him enough reason to stand.

Ben Brown: Why we all need to be advocates for gender equality

October 29 2018 By Ben Brown
Last week, Ben Brown and Hester MacKinnon attended the Spirit of Tasmania Charity Luncheon to discuss the importance of promoting gender equality and highlight the need for all of us to be active bystanders. This is Ben's speech.

Good afternoon, everyone. It’s an honour to be standing here today, and I would very much like to thank the Spirit of Tasmania and Our Watch for giving me the opportunity to speak on a topic that I am very passionate about.

Why am I here?

A few of you may be asking that question.

I’m just a footballer, after all. I’m not an expert in domestic violence.

So why am I standing here today?

But that’s just it. We are all here for a reason. Let’s not beat around the bush - I have this platform because I’m a footballer. But I’m hoping to speak to you today as a fellow human being, as a man, a husband, and a soon-to-be-father.

https://www.ourwatch.org.au/News-media/Latest-news/Ben-Brown-Why-we-need-more

That's correct Ben, you only have this platform because of our club.

Please cease and desist from using the football club as your political billboard, and stop allowing yourself to be manipulated by the political parasites that have set up shop inside the club to facilitate their political agendas. They don't actually give a stuff about football..

Thanks.

Paying member, and football supporter.

Please cease and desist from using the football club as your political billboard, and stop allowing yourself to be manipulated by the political parasites that have set up shop inside the club to facilitate their political agendas. They don't actually give a stuff about football..

Thanks.

He's a ripping guy, lovely bloke to deal with. But he and his wife do appear to view the club as something of an ideological plaything. Fortunately for them they're dealing with plenty of like-minded folk.

Not sure how far this would fly in a cutthroat clinical environment like Hawthorn.

He's a ripping guy, lovely bloke to deal with. But he and his wife do appear to view the club as something of an ideological plaything. Fortunately for them they're dealing with plenty of like-minded folk.

Not sure how far this would fly in a cutthroat clinical environment like Hawthorn.

Yep. He can park his ******* post football career in neutral. It appears he's starting to breath in his own farts deeply.

I am sick to death of this sporting club being prostituted for political agendas.

Ben, I don't give two *s about how many good bloke awards you obtain, in fact, the incessant virtue signalling makes me cringe.

Stop it!

Thanks.

1. Gender equality is a basic human rights issue, not a political agenda

2. Ben Brown is the only person who gets to tell Ben Brown what he chooses to stand up for. Not you, not me, not the North Melbourne Football Club. Anyone with any degree of fame or notoriety carries a spotlight on them. How they choose to behave in that spotlight is up to them. I'm incredibly proud of the way Ben conducts himself as a member of the football club I love. And I'm incredibly proud that our footy club is a pioneering force in the football world for equal rights for all human beings. This is not manipulation or conspiracy to facilitate political agendas. This is society's moral progress.

3. You are of course entitled to your opinion. It's your right, as is everyone. But you are not entitled to make false assumptions about Ben Brown's character or integrity. You don't have to be proud of him like I am. But you do need to remove your own needs from his life decisions. The North Melbourne Football Club belongs to all of us. Not just you.

I prefer my fellow human beings to be lovely people, not cutthroat and clinical. Same goes for my footy club. Which I guess is why I don't barrack for Hawthorn.

I don't accept the framing of gender inequality and domestic violence as 'political' and 'ideological' issues. Nor do I think, ironically, it's Ben who is using a football forum as a political billboard.

Personally, I think it's great to see a young man using a platform society has given him to express and develop his leadership. It'll support him in his future endeavours in life, in which I expect he'll contribute a hell of a lot more of worth than a Buckenara, Healy, King or anti-BBB, Wayne Carey, will ever manage. (Or would we rather Ben glassed women?) I'm not sure when simple, life-affirming, respectful attitudes to others or supporting charities became 'ideological'. We are poorer as a society for the politicisation of such things in my humble opinion.

Ben says he is commenting as a human being, and as a man, husband and soon-to-be father, regardless of the opportunity arising as a football player. I imagine a good many husbands and fathers of daughters share his views, regardless of where they fit on a nominal political spectrum. I'm assuming he's still on his time off too? Even if you do disagree with his views, he's not representing NMFC per se. He's allowed to have views on life, even supposed 'political' issues and to voice them. Last time I looked we don't live in a police state (yet.)

He speaks of his personal values and expresses his own view that gender equality and stopping domestic violence are things he's personally concerned about. This doesn't need to be seen as an attack on men, nor as a drain on, or dilution of, the club as a football club. If anything, a club sponsor was clearly happy to have him speak. I'd imagine keeping a sponsor of the football club happy is a good thing, though I don't think that's necessarily why he agreed to speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back