AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - Pulls out of VFL comeback with slight abdominal strain - 25/3

09 - shiel.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 35, eth-dog

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiel’s disposal is elite, not sure anyone has actually watched enough of him instead of looking at stats

One thing that should be obvious is that most only watch their team so they are the worst to objectively judge opposition players.
I said the same thing when we were a chance to land Dev last year and the collective meh on here was highly amusing, more so after the year he has had.
I watch GWS most weeks because my wife goes for them, Shiel is elite in most areas and is exactly what we need in this group.
Saying he needs to tidy up his disposal is beyond picky.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Had to move interstate too
don't think that's much of a chore. I was listening to a player talk the on radio (can't remember who) and he said that the clubs do it all for you. As in, they organise people to come in, pack everything up, ship it down, and even truck your car across. So essentially you pack an overnight bag and fly to your new state and your new digs is completely set up, ready to go

don't think that's much of a chore. I was listening to a player talk the on radio (can't remember who) and he said that the clubs do it all for you. As in, they organise people to come in, pack everything up, ship it down, and even truck your car across. So essentially you pack an overnight bag and fly to your new state and your new digs is completely set up, ready to go
I'm in the wrong industry.

Reckon EFC needs a professional meme creator?

Yep, it's in the CBA. The clubs also pay to send you home after you've been delisted.

Shiel did say in yesterday's press conference that he left his girlfriend to deal with the move when he was in Melbourne doing publicity yesterday, flew back up last night or this morning so he could get involved as well. I'm guessing even if you don't need to do anything, you'd probably want to be there at least directing traffic so they don't put the wrong couch in the wrong living room or whatever.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I'm in the wrong industry.

Reckon EFC needs a professional meme creator?

If you're not a player you'll be paying for crap like tailored suits to attend the BnF.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Yep, it's in the CBA. The clubs also pay to send you home after you've been delisted.

Shiel did say in yesterday's press conference that he left his girlfriend to deal with the move when he was in Melbourne doing publicity yesterday, flew back up last night or this morning so he could get involved as well. I'm guessing even if you don't need to do anything, you'd probably want to be there at least directing traffic so they don't put the wrong couch in the wrong living room or whatever.
yeah I'm tipping that single AFL players might not care as much as their domesticated brethren... :p

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville

Can confirm this. 100% right. Toll would probably do it for nothing as well.

Started thinking about Essendon this morning.

Remembered we have Shiel now.

Realised I was suddenly sporting a giant, s**t-eating grin.
Legitimately took a sick day from work today (coeliac gonna get it to ya) and spent the first five hours of the day, whilst not puking, watching 2018 highlights.

Then imagined Dylan Shiel adding to it.

Ooooft.

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Worth a listen. Doesn’t say much about the team though, talks about the trade, the giants, following the footy media and playing in front of big crowds. But liked his honesty about him thinking of leaving during the season. Very well spoken too.

Also mentioned at the end that he’s going into his first pre season injury free. :)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Worth a listen. Doesn’t say much about the team though, talks about the trade, the giants, following the footy media and playing in front of big crowds. But liked his honesty about him thinking of leaving during the season. Very well spoken too.

Just saw this and found it fascinating.

I'll take thing about wanting to play in front of large crowds on the chin. Ironically he did more than most to correct that himself. For years it was Shiel and Cameron that were the idols of the kids at Spotless. After 8 years he's done his bit, and we move on.

I think the reason he avoided talking too much about the Bombers prospects because it would have forced comparisons with the Saints, Hawks and Blues. I'm sure he remembers the shitstorm when Treloar said he preferred the Magpies list to the Tigers. He's voted with his feet anyway. There cant be any doubt about his preference.

If anyone doubts he wasn't pushed out, listen to Leon's presser after the SF loss. He said he'd be very disappointed if he left, and no doubt is. From Phil Davis it's a bit more sadness at losing an original. . The bean counters certainly would be more ambivalent

While I would definitely have preferred he stayed, the Rubicon was crossed by the end if the trade period and a deal had to be done. In the end a fair one I think.

Last edited:
Back