Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

And just like some on this board go into full lindy mode without even having a clue as to the reasons for the GCS heirachy coming to that decision. The head honcho there now Mark Evans is no mug and was put in place by the AFL so I'd think there's some serious thinking gone into the decision.

What was the thinking around trading May for pick 6? They already had a superb draft hand and they most likely get a top 3 pick for him next year. They will miss him badly next year and the help he would have given the developing youngsters would have been invaluable. The Lyons decision - who cares. But they still seem like a basketcase to me. They have a chance to take the King twins with 2 and 3. That is exactly what they need going forward. Even more so than Luko, but without question more than Rankine, Rozee or Caldwell.

What was the thinking around trading May for pick 6? They already had a superb draft hand and they most likely get a top 3 pick for him next year. They will miss him badly next year and the help he would have given the developing youngsters would have been invaluable. The Lyons decision - who cares. But they still seem like a basketcase to me. They have a chance to take the King twins with 2 and 3. That is exactly what they need going forward. Even more so than Luko, but without question more than Rankine, Rozee or Caldwell.
Sam Collins because unlike May he actually wants to be there.

I suggest you check out Mark Evans' C.V.

Doesn’t change anything though. They need two KPDs. An extra year of May would have helped all of their youngsters develop better next year than without him. Next year is a write off for them anyway. Doesn’t matter if he wants to be there or not. They probably get pick 2 for May next year.

Terrible decision to take pick 6 for May.

They are getting rid of everyone who doesn’t want to be there to try and move forward, trading May made perfect sense.

Doesn’t change anything though. They need two KPDs. An extra year of May would have helped all of their youngsters develop better next year than without him. Next year is a write off for them anyway. Doesn’t matter if he wants to be there or not. They probably get pick 2 for May next year.

Terrible decision to take pick 6 for May.
Is it?!

You get rid off a player that doesn’t want to be there. You have enough cover for him with Thompson, Collins and Hombsh. You get rid off a distraction of will he or won’t he leave. It’s actually good for a club like GC to try and get some stability and remove the distractions, build on certain character traits.

Plus you make an amateur mistake of thinking pick 2 next year is better than pick 6 this year. That is directly determined by the strength of the draft, especially up the top end. Many rate this year’s draft top end best in recent years so it could well be the case that pick 6 this year is better than pick 2 next year. Some years pick 2 gets you a Josh Kelly, some it gets you Andrew Walker. In some years pick 6 gets you Beau Dowler, in other it gets you Jack Macrae or Chad Wingard. Sometimes people get caught up purely in pick number without looking at the strength of the draft and what that pick could get you.

Is it?!

You get rid off a player that doesn’t want to be there. You have enough cover for him with Thompson, Collins and Hombsh. You get rid off a distraction of will he or won’t he leave. It’s actually good for a club like GC to try and get some stability and remove the distractions, build on certain character traits.

Plus you make an amateur mistake of thinking pick 2 next year is better than pick 6 this year. That is directly determined by the strength of the draft, especially up the top end. Many rate this year’s draft top end best in recent years so it could well be the case that pick 6 this year is better than pick 2 next year. Some years pick 2 gets you a Josh Kelly, some it gets you Andrew Walker. In some years pick 6 gets you Beau Dowler, in other it gets you Jack Macrae or Chad Wingard. Sometimes people get caught up purely in pick number without looking at the strength of the draft and what that pick could get you.

I am not caught up in pick numbers at all. My point is about developing your young players. You need to surround them with as much quality players as possible. Otherwise you get the situation that Carlton have been in all these years. The same reason they were trying to hold on to Gibbs.

One extra year of May would be a huge benefit to that club, even if he has one foot out the door. As Gibbs had in 2017. Taking pick 6 vs what they get the next year is basically a wash, so no point to do it given what they sacrifice in terms of staying competitive enough to develop their list for an extra 12 months.

I am not caught up in pick numbers at all. My point is about developing your young players. You need to surround them with as much quality players as possible. Otherwise you get the situation that Carlton have been in all these years. The same reason they were trying to hold on to Gibbs.

One extra year of May would be a huge benefit to that club, even if he has one foot out the door. As Gibbs had in 2017. Taking pick 6 vs what they get the next year is basically a wash, so no point to do it given what they sacrifice in terms of staying competitive enough to develop their list for an extra 12 months.
There is a big difference here. May was their captain. The PR of having two captains walk out of the clubs 2 years in a row creates negative publicity which the club rightly wants to avoid. They got an experienced solid veteran in Hombsh to cover for May. He is not a world beater but he is by all reports an outstanding human being who is also a good player. Rory Thompson is no slouch either. They recruited experienced albeit solid players to build the character and culture. Suns are s**t in terms of playing list but they have made some pretty solid moves in the last couple of years. Evans, Dew, Francou...these are all good moves that will build the foundation of the club. Same as Noble and Fagan have done at Brisbane, albeit Brisbane were a bit further along in terms of talent on the list than GC are currently.

Even if pick 2 next year is a wash with pick 6 this year, the move to flush our everyone that doesn’t want to be there is an excellent move. You bring up Carlton as an example, I bring up Hawks in Clarkson’s first year there. The only senior player that survived was Shane Crawford. Everyone else was shipped out for draft picks and Richie Vanderberg was their captain. Clarko was as much of an unknown at AFL level as Dew is (I am not talking about SANFL)

Gold Coast are actually trying to do it right for once. It only took them almost a decade to do it.

There is a big difference here. May was their captain. The PR of having two captains walk out of the clubs 2 years in a row creates negative publicity which the club rightly wants to avoid. They got an experienced solid veteran in Hombsh to cover for May. He is not a world beater but he is by all reports an outstanding human being who is also a good player. Rory Thompson is no slouch either. They recruited experienced albeit solid players to build the character and culture. Suns are s**t in terms of playing list but they have made some pretty solid moves in the last couple of years. Evans, Dew, Francou...these are all good moves that will build the foundation of the club. Same as Noble and Fagan have done at Brisbane, albeit Brisbane were a bit further along in terms of talent on the list than GC are currently.

Even if pick 2 next year is a wash with pick 6 this year, the move to flush our everyone that doesn’t want to be there is an excellent move. You bring up Carlton as an example, I bring up Hawks in Clarkson’s first year there. The only senior player that survived was Shane Crawford. Everyone else was shipped out for draft picks and Richie Vanderberg was their captain. Clarko was as much of an unknown at AFL level as Dew is (I am not talking about SANFL)

Gold Coast are actually trying to do it right for once. It only took them almost a decade to do it.

I understand that. But beggars cant be choosers. Those players you mentioned as replacing May. Seriously? They can’t even polish his boots. They are going to have to do this the hard way. They are going to get smashed. Having May on the field to mitigate the level of disaster is more important than having a guy not wanting to be there. He shouldn’t have been captain next year either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that. But beggars cant be choosers. Those players you mentioned as replacing May. Seriously? They can’t even polish his boots. They are going to have to do this the hard way. They are going to get smashed. Having May on the field to mitigate the level of disaster is more important than having a guy not wanting to be there. He shouldn’t have been captain next year either way.
And May is this superman what would have turned a certin 100 point loss into a 60 point loss. He is a good player but he is not as good as you make him out to be. He has been there since the start and he sure didn’t didn’t stop them from getting smashed most weeks. He is a great get for Melbourne. For Gold Coast it was good business on many fronts that they let him go this year. What would happen if he did his knee and missed 2019. Would Suns still get pick 2? Would he prevent them from getting smashed? Don’t think so!

To be fair, surely they wouldn't have made him captain going into 2019 given how uncertain it is about whether he would stay. Instead of losing 2 captains in two years, they 2 captains in one year, not really any different.

Still don't think all is right there, guys like Barlow obviously felt hard done by and he is someone that's come across as a hard worker during his career and would be someone that you'd like to have around the place. Maybe Dew didn't want him due to his age and not seeing him benefiting them down the track but sometimes it's worth having these guys playing even when they won't be there in a few years time when it matters as it takes pressure off the others. Melbourne did the push clean out with guys like McLean, McDonald and that backfired big time.

I just don't see any leadership on that list that has come from a successful place, think even chasing a Andrew Swallow last year would have helped set things up off the field.

We'll see where they go down the track and there's a lot they've got to work on such as the facilities which have been brought up when they first started but their list looks one of the weakest I've ever seen in my time in keeping a close eye on the game.

I like what they are doing, getting guys committed is a good start and loading up in this draft isn’t silly at top end

They’d be thinking it’s a good chance to take non Vics . How many WA and SA kids have they had leave ? Not as many I would have thought

Stewy Dew may look silly but he’s not too

Success follows that guy , they have a chance

I wonder when this board is finally going to get over this Lyons fixation.....Jarryd is a very good depth player at most AFL clubs, no more, no less. He'll likely play some AFL for them and possibly some NEAFL with his brother Corey who's a similar type player that is yet to break into the AFL.

He had a pretty good year for us after the sub system was killed off. Some of us just aren't as good a judge as you though. I mean, many of us didn't rate Dean Gore, but you sure did.

He had a pretty good year for us after the sub system was killed off. Some of us just aren't as good a judge as you though. I mean, many of us didn't rate Dean Gore, but you sure did.
I rated Dean Gore on what I saw with my own eyes in the several VFL games I saw him play where he was clearly one of the best players for the Cats in those games. Not my fault that 2 AFL coaches now don't appear to see in Jarryd Lyons what you do.

Well not better player, seeing Lyons for the most part is an upgrade on CEY once you factor size out of the equation. Mind you, the issue is both really don't have enough to their game to be something beyond depth/poor teams pure inside midfielder. Both are painfully slow, not particularly skillful outside of a fine handball, not particularly athletic, not big enough accumulators, not competent on the outside etc.

You could make a good side out of having either of them just being a inside body at the bottom end of a midfield rotation, or just used as a cheap nullify the inside advantage option another side has, but there is just plenty of better options out there then either for something more then depth.

We have had 2 players on our list that would start at a stoppage and exit the pressure area with ball on hand running directly at goal. One is Jarryd Lyons and the other is Brad Crouch. Lyons did it with smarts as a second possession winner, Brouch can do it with sheer acceleration. Either way, a player getting on the attacking side of a stoppage running directly at goal is an enormous weapon. Even the threat of it has value, something that we didn't have last year at all.

Jeez must be Halloween! all the nutters are out bagging Lyons when it’s pretty obvious this is not your typical delisting.
The Suns board including our mate Ivabiggun are flipping out. Ready to chuck in their membership!

We have a number of very poor judges of talent on our board. Lots of belief in the coaching system and very little actual themselves.

I love how people think the Suns proving they have utterly incompetent list managers is somehow proof of Lyons being a poor footballer.

If you did a survey you'd find that there's a huge correlation between the Dean Gore raters and the Lyons anti-raters. These are just the sunshine and rainbow brigade taking an opportunity to have another crack. Even though he's moving on because he's gotten a better offer from a club that these same muppets would otherwise be spruiking pretty hard. Funny s**t.

I rated Dean Gore on what I saw with my own eyes in the several VFL games I saw him play where he was clearly one of the best players for the Cats in those games. Not my fault that 2 AFL coaches now don't appear to see in Jarryd Lyons what you do.

The Mackay Defence, nice work. What do you think of Brisbane? Definitely a club without a clue and on the way down, whilst Gold Coast are making all the right moves. Are you seriously suggesting that every decision the Gold Coast Suns make is the right one? That's pathetic even for a lifetime anti-Lyons fan. You must be a huge fan of the decisions that Burton makes, given that he works for an AFL club and all. And, what is wrong with your eyes, Dean Gore was s**t, how did you miss that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back