Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, getting dropped multiple times in a shitful team and already onto his third club and we jump in with a 3 year deal when no-one would touch him and I am the naive one.

Mate I'm sorry but you are completely wrong on Lyons. It's not like we've just recruited Billy Hartung or some delisted player who hadn't played good footy. Lyons HAS played good footy, statistically the was their best midfielder this year and if you read between the lines it's obvious there was some sort of issue between he and the Sun's otherwise they don't let a contracted player walk for free.

You also said nobody would touch him like it is fact which is categorically false. You need to take a deep breath and think about what you're saying mate.

I think if you put Lyons' trade into the pick swap we did with GC, it all makes more sense. We probably couldn't get it done during trade week for whatever reason (probably waiting on Frost as has been mentioned) so the AFL were happy to accept what looks like a crazy good deal for us.

It's willful ignorance to suggest that GC would have delisted him if we hadn't come calling, or done that pick swap even. He has his limitations, but is def AFL quality.

What a nice bonus for us to get, feel like we got a freebie for a player that will perform better in a better team. Not a star but his top end is good although his consistency is a bit up and down. Nice clearance numbers but a a few mistakes and clangers which is no surprise in a team consistently being belted. I don't put that much credit on the Suns numbers from last year they played all over the world in the first half of the season I'm not surprised they had such a bad season. Well done if he does land here, a great back up on injuries with the chance of becoming a regular.

Yep, getting dropped multiple times in a shitful team and already onto his third club and we jump in with a 3 year deal when no-one would touch him and I am the naive one.
It is not like he was de listed, went to the market, got no offers then we came along after everyone had the chance on him and passed. He literally asked to be delisted due to our offer (according to multiple sources). So yes it appears in this instance you are wrong.

He isnt the difference between a flag and a wooden spoon.. but champion data have him currently ranked 44th in the AFL (saw that posted elsewhere) and we got him for free. He aint a hack.

They delisted him because we sort him out to solve our midfield issue, the suns granted his wish for a better deal.. he wasnt a reject as such.
Just had a quick look. He is rated at 38. The only player we have ahead of him according to 'champion data' is Zorko. Beams sits at 65... below both Stef Martin and Harris. Neale is rated at 12 for what it is worth!

Am I missing something? Majority of Suns posters saying 'he isnt best 22 anyway' and they are fine with him leaving, yet literally everything else indicates he is a highly serviceable mid?

Are they just numb and taking the 'we dont care' angle because they are so past the point of caring or is this basti 2.0 the free version?

I always say the response of bigfooty fans about departing players is the best indicator, but if even the Suns fans dont value you, there must be something wrong! Lol

He is free. He looks statistically VERY sound (24 possies, 5.5 tackles, 3rd in the comp at clearence). He is 26. We need midfield depth.

I honestly cannot see a downside to this.

2 years would have been ideal, but we had to offer 3 to get him as a delisted FA.

I think people get far too hung up on the length of contracts without considering how much the player is on. 3 years at $1m a year is incomparable to 3 years at $300k.

For this specific case, just look at Lyon's stats and age. If you don't come to the conclusion that he ticks a lot of our unticked boxes then your judgement is probably clouded by something.

Am I missing something? Majority of Suns posters saying 'he isnt best 22 anyway' and they are fine with him leaving, yet literally everything else indicates he is a highly serviceable mid?

Are they just numb and taking the 'we dont care' angle because they are so past the point of caring or is this basti 2.0 the free version?

I always say the response of bigfooty fans about departing players is the best indicator, but if even the Suns fans dont value you, there must be something wrong! Lol

I think there’s a lot of factors other than pure talent that’s going into it. Dew doesn’t seem to favour Lyons, which plays a big part in fans thinking he won’t be in the 22 in the future; they seem to also not want to play around with players who aren’t 100% committed to Dew; finally, they seem to want to blood a lot of young midfielders.

These are all reasonable factors that seem to go into it. It’s like how Bell said he felt like younger guys got more priority, except that Lyons was just good enough that he played 18 games instead of 1. There are always plenty of situations like this and I don’t think either side is wrong.

The Suns are doing something that a lot of people think is stupid. However, they are basically restarting so I’m not going to judge them until two years when Dew has brought in the players he wants and has established the culture he likes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there’s a lot of factors other than pure talent that’s going into it. Dew doesn’t seem to favour Lyons, which plays a big part in fans thinking he won’t be in the 22 in the future; they seem to also not want to play around with players who aren’t 100% committed to Dew; finally, they seem to want to blood a lot of young midfielders.

These are all reasonable factors that seem to go into it. It’s like how Bell said he felt like younger guys got more priority, except that Lyons was just good enough that he played 18 games instead of 1. There are always plenty of situations like this and I don’t think either side is wrong.

The Suns are doing something that a lot of people think is stupid. However, they are basically restarting so I’m not going to judge them until two years when Dew has brought in the players he wants and has established the culture he likes.

Dew has got Leppa / Neeld written all over him. We dodged a bullet there.

We have addressed a great area of need in one trade period for, in the scheme of things, not a lot.

The kick on effect of allowing less heavy lifting for Berry and better delivery to Clugs and the other outside runners is huge.

It also releases Zorko to play fwd more, considering he has been the small fwd that hits the scoreboard.

And yet people still complain.

To be negative about picking up Lyons you are basically saying:

" I am ok with having Frost on our list for 1 more year after 14 concussions (even though now Marcus Adams is ahead of him and probably wont ever play a senior game in 2019) rather than moving him on and for 2 years more paying money for a player we got for nothing who is 3rd in the AFL for clearances meets our recruiting objectives (26 mature recruit) who can help take the load of Berry, Mcluggage and work along side Neale.

Looks like we overpaid on Neale then. :D
ha lol
except Neale disposes of it better
and averages more disposals
and kicks more goals
and carries a midfield without fyfe (cause hes always injured) that's average age is about 20
yep I got a kick out of that one keep up the zingers
come to think of it what was the trade for Neale I just remember thinking it was fair

We have addressed a great area of need in one trade period for, in the scheme of things, not a lot.

The kick on effect of allowing less heavy lifting for Berry and better delivery to Clugs and the other outside runners is huge.

It also releases Zorko to play fwd more, considering he has been the small fwd that hits the scoreboard.

And yet people still complain.

People? I’m not sure Dylan is a person.

To be negative about picking up Lyons you are basically saying:

" I am ok with having Frost on our list for 1 more year after 14 concussions (even though now Marcus Adams is ahead of him and probably wont ever play a senior game in 2019) rather than moving him on and for 2 years more paying money for a player we got for nothing who is 3rd in the AFL for clearances meets our recruiting objectives (26 mature recruit) who can help take the load of Berry, Mcluggage and work along side Neale.

True, only omission is what we are paying him? if he doesn't work out and it on $450k like Basti was said to be on, that will hurt in the 3rd year.

ha lol
except Neale disposes of it better
and averages more disposals
and kicks more goals
and carries a midfield without fyfe (cause hes always injured) that's average age is about 20
yep I got a kick out of that one keep up the zingers
come to think of it what was the trade for Neale I just remember thinking it was fair
Nah, we reamed you. ;)

Eh, could be a good get, could be a bust - who knows? But, I'll back in our recruitment team that they know wtf they are doing and our coaching team to get the best out of him.

#positivevibes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back