2019 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

They have given us every possible chance to revenge that Geelong shambles from last year. We are at home, both teams coming off six day breaks and travelling to Optus will be Geelong's second interstate trip in a row - they play away in Sydney the week before

It's at Marvel, I was supposed to write Essendon but my WAFL brain saw the city and typed Melbourne.

It's the round 9 game.

Why would they move the game?

AFL owns the stadium now, no chance they bow to the ALeague.

This topic came up a couple of years ago when Freo played the Dogs. The fixture remained at Etihad on the allocated day and i would expect nothing less in this case.

As usual, fixture analysis is pointless until after the season because we don't know who is good or s*** but...

Power, Eagles, Saints, Dogs and Bombers.

Not sure where the double up optimism is coming from? I know we "match up" ok against all teams but:

- Eagles won the flag, nuff said. Still definitely the best top 6 team for us but this is just status quo
- Power were 11-4 at round 16 until we derailed there season in that s***fest. I personally don't rate them but could easily be a good team in 2019.
- Saints were pitiful last year but also pretty decent the prior two years and could conceivably push for a finals spot in 2019. Not probable I'll grant but not impossible either.
- Bombers could (really should with their list) be a top 4 team.
- Dogs the best of the bottom 6 from last year and almost beat the Tigers in their last game.

No free hit double ups against either the Suns or Blues.

Still nice to see that we only have one terrible away trip (UTAS) but it is the Hawks, we would lose anywhere. Canberra doesn't matter because we wouldn't beat GWS at Spotless either.

Best part of the fixture is playing GC at Metricon. A game I can go to that we might actually win!

extra game in Melbourne - tick
no clashes with wife's birthday/Mothers day/anniversary - tick
don't have to go to Geelongistan - tick

I'll take that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This topic came up a couple of years ago when Freo played the Dogs. The fixture remained at Etihad on the allocated day and i would expect nothing less in this case.
money.

A-League: can we play a final at Marvel Stadium?
AFL: no, we have a game there at that time
A-League: we'll give you some money
AFL: it'll also impact our broadcast ratings
A-League: hey Foxtel, AFL won't let us use Marvel Stadium
Foxtel: [just gives AFL a stern glance]
AFL: [holding a large brown paper bag] oh alright then, it's only Freo playing anyway

It's because Victory is still contracted to use the stadium and it's ultimately more money for the owner of the stadium, the AFL.

Have the AFL ever moved a game for the A-League before?

I'll eat my hat if the Victory earn a home final and push the AFL game to the next day.

Have the AFL ever moved a game for the A-League before?

I'll eat my hat if the Victory earn a home final and push the AFL game to the next day.
There was a situation where we were going to play the Dogs at Docklands on the 17th of April 2015, the A-league shifted their grand final from the 10th to the 17th for champions league participants and the Dogs said no way we move, so they moved the game to AAMI stadium.

The AFL appears to have left the door open on this one.

Dq4XdShVAAEV_Gi.jpg

Early days from CD

Well Round 17 in Tasmania will be a write-off. We can all plan to be overseas that weekend.

As to the Wed/Thurs/Fri fixtures:

10 - Collingwood (2nd)
8 - Essendon (11th)
7 - Richmond (3rd)
6 - Sydney (7th)
5 - Adelaide (12th)
5 - Melbourne (4th)
5 - Hawthorn (5th)
4 - North Melbourne (9th)
4 - West Coast (1st)
4 - Geelong (8th)
3 - Port Adelaide (10th)
2 - Greater Western Sydney (6th)
1 - Western Bulldogs (13th)
1 - Brisbane (15th)
1 - Carlton (18th)
0 - Fremantle (14th), St Kilda (16th), Gold Coast (17th)

The AFL are really looking after Essendon there.

Last edited:
Not too bad.

Double ups are ok. Yes, no GC or Carlton, but I think Carlton may improve finally next year as their list gets older. I think WB, SK, are really going to struggle, and Port who ever knows. Get Eagles home early before our list gets tired or injured.

Canberra doesn't matter as we wouldn't win in Sydney against GWS anyway. Tassie isn't great but Hawks look like they have a tough draw this year so who knows.

No Fri games is due to avoiding any Fri night scheduling at Optus to avoid the work crowds and allow extra time for supporters out of town to get to Sat night games according to Duffield. Sat night games in winter because they want to make use of the light show when the sun sets earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back