Seeya later Tommy, Cam and Brady

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, Hindsight wonderful thing. Hamling as I stated wouldn't of got too many games for freo from 2012-5 with our KPD stocks. Might of played him up forward.

Yeo would of been an interesting one.
For me it's less about hindsight and more about learning from the past.

Rumour is Grey will play with South Fremantle next season.
giphy.gif

Dont know a lot about him. I do have alot of faith in Adrian Caruso, so I'm sure he'll fit in.

He will be solid depth, as he was for us. Lots will say he's crap, but he was pushing our Best 22 every year he was here (including when we were making finals) and doing OK. Like I posted earlier, he's probably best winger/fwd of the ball - he has skills and can play, just doesn't seem to have the mental competitive beast instincts that keeps him in the game. He's not defensively great either, but given GWS always have talent around the park, he can do well in a team that's playing well.

Good luck to him I say.

That word sums up his career with us. Alright with occasional sprinklings of s**t.
That summed up a fair few players freo had during tat 2012-15 period.

Some of those depth/fringe players were handy. But should not be relied upon as a core/main player.

the one thing was has been drilled into my head was chris maynes 2 best seasons in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, chris Mayne kicked 39 goals and 7 behinds. In 2013, chris Mayne kicked 35 goals and 10 behinds.

2 other players I can think of had their best seasons in 2012 as well.

Clancee Pearce kicked 16 goals and 6 behinds in 23 games. He averaged 19.5 disposals a game too. I remember in the middle of that season, Clancee was getting like 24-27 disposals in 4-5 weeks in a row and freo won all those games too.

Matt De Boer kicked 15 goals and 10 behinds and was averaging 17.8 disposals. Again, not a bad contributor.

I was never a huge fan, but he isn’t the only player in the league to be spooked by Rioli. Harry Taylor famously shat his dacks against him in 2008.

That PF loss was all down to Lyon

That and Fyfe on one leg. Johnno injured. Mcpharlin injured. Pav cooked. The team running out of puff weeks earlier. Oh and we happened to play the best team in the modern era going for a 3peat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That and Fyfe on one leg. Johnno injured. Mcpharlin injured. Pav cooked. The team running out of puff weeks earlier. Oh and we happened to play the best team in the modern era going for a 3peat.
Johnson missed the 2014 finals series, and in 2013 made it back for the prelim, missing the win against Geelong in the QF. McPharlin missed the 2012, 2014, and 2015 finals series, and missed 8 weeks prior to the 2013 finals series. If Ross was banking on him being there he was crazy.

Both players struggled with injury at the end of seasons for years - something should have been done to mitigate it.

History remembers that game a certain way. Understandable due to final scoreboard. But the usual comments ... regulation Hawthorn win ... too good ... Lyon can't beat Clarkson ... that's not quite the full story.

Umpiring was the closest thing to cheating I have ever seen. Fyfe and Pav on one leg. No McPharlin. We actually did quite well. Hawthorn had 2nd fewest scoring shots all year but kicked 15.4 with lots of high difficulty shots.

At the ground, the sense was palpable that we were all over them in the last. You could see the players running over the top of Hawthorn. We had numbers everywhere and waves of runners and overlaps. TV just doesn't do this justice. I was sure we would win, until Sheridan dropped that mark. I'm not sure he shat himself just because of Rioli. We had a good setup on the wing/half forward and could have gone the length of the field. But needed to move it very quickly before it was shut down, and Tommy rushed/botched it.

Never seen a crowd/team deflate as much as that from one single incident. We may have been running over the top, but I suspect it was on fumes/adrenaline/home crowd energy ... and then that all disappeared instantly. Would have been a tough one for Sheridan to have on his shoulders.

I was never a huge fan, but he isn’t the only player in the league to be spooked by Rioli. Harry Taylor famously shat his dacks against him in 2008.

That PF loss was all down to Lyon.

Well, except the multiple gimme shots on goal from directly in front that were missed at critical times. Mayne had one early that would have given us the first 3 goals of the game, Griffen had one just before half time that would have been huge, and Barlow had one in the last that would have got us to within a goal which would have sent the crowd feral (more so).

In the end I came to the realisation that we just didn't have the depth.

Well, except the multiple gimme shots on goal from directly in front that were missed at critical times. Mayne had one early that would have given us the first 3 goals of the game, Griffen had one just before half time that would have been huge, and Barlow had one in the last that would have got us to within a goal which would have sent the crowd feral (more so).

In the end I came to the realisation that we just didn't have the depth.
yep and meanwhile hawks couldn't miss, they kicked 15.4 in the PF and 15.4 in the GF

good kicking wins footy

Johnson missed the 2014 finals series, and in 2013 made it back for the prelim, missing the win against Geelong in the QF. McPharlin missed the 2012, 2014, and 2015 finals series, and missed 8 weeks prior to the 2013 finals series. If Ross was banking on him being there he was crazy.

Both players struggled with injury at the end of seasons for years - something should have been done to mitigate it.
Don't forget global warming. Ross has a lot to answer for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back