Free Agency Shane Mumford rejoins GWS under new preseason signing rules

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sh...n/news-story/8d824fda1a7c58daaf2e973450c255a8

Curiouser and curiouser. Seems under list rules Mummy can be directly listed as a rookie. With Dave Matthews supporting him as a person, but stating he has to be sanctioned on radio, expect an announcement shortly.

I think that we were waiting for guidance from the AFL investigation, and this seems to be complete with a two match ban to be announced. How you suspend a non-player is beyond me, but whatever, it seems kinda fair in the big pictcure.

How do they list him directly as a rookie? Alt talent pathway due to competing in one professional boxing match? Seems to be the only rookie pathway that would suit a 32 year old who isn't living overseas.

There's more to it than just that video I think. If the video is legitimately from 2015 or whatever it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless it's to avoid bringing the game into disrepute or something.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
How do they list him directly as a rookie? Alt talent pathway due to competing in one professional boxing match? Seems to be the only rookie pathway that would suit a 32 year old who isn't living overseas.

There's more to it than just that video I think. If the video is legitimately from 2015 or whatever it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless it's to avoid bringing the game into disrepute or something.

I'm not sure there is. We're a new club workng very hard to promote growth through junior development. Part if that is exploiting the somewhat negative view of Rugby League and making Aussie Rules the sport of choice by parents.

The club handled the Whitfield saga poorly and needs to present a very straight bat this time.

Both incidents occurred with the players on a break and in their home town, so it doesn't really indicate a problem with the club culture. It is damaging nevertheless.

Mummy has been a huge positive influence at the club and it should stick by him, but his reputation is damaged permanently at least somewhat.

I saw him last year spend at least half an hour with a group of under 10's, who'd won their comp, at Manuka during the Bulldogs game. I dont think he can do that for a while at least.

We will move on and he's no doubt had a terrible time. I prefer him as a player this year than as a coach with direct authority over young players though.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
This is the bit i'm curious about, what list rules allow that? Not that I can imagine any other clubs would bother picking him up if he was in the draft, I think they'd all leave him through to GWS.
I have no idea either. I give it credibility only because it references his manager stating it's been confirmed by the AFL under new rules.
I have no problem believing the press spreading B/S but lying is a stretch.

This is the bit i'm curious about, what list rules allow that? Not that I can imagine any other clubs would bother picking him up if he was in the draft, I think they'd all leave him through to GWS.
If an athlete has competed in a different sport at a competitive level then they can be considered for category B list, but I thought they had to have had three years out of the AFL system at any level for that. Otherwise players would skip the draft, play cricket badly for a year then sign straight to their home town club for any price outside the salary cap.
No different to the AFL allowing Sydney to get Kieran Jack.
Nominating for the draft right before the draft and from what I understand there wasn't any objections.

The category B list thing would be a great way to get him on their list, no salary cap baby!

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Presumably Mumford qualifies under the lifetime free agency rule tweak flagged last year: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-26/move-towards-lifetime-free-agency-logical-afl
:thumbsu: Tks for the clue. I couldn't figure it out. After that looked into the agreement and I think you're right.

Screenshot_20181102-154125.jpg

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bit of a joke if a guy who has played a long career , legitimately retired and sat out a year can't be a free agent.

Same for delisted players who then revive their fortunes in the state leagues.

Let them go where they want for the cash that they want and the salary cap and draft will keep the comp equal. If another team really wanted Mumford then they can make him an offer of an extra 25k, 50k, 100k? that would win him over.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Bit of a joke if a guy who has played a long career , legitimately retired and sat out a year can't be a free agent.

Same for delisted players who then revive their fortunes in the state leagues.

Let them go where they want for the cash that they want and the salary cap and draft will keep the comp equal. If another team really wanted Mumford then they can make him an offer of an extra 25k, 50k, 100k? that would win him over.
I never really considered he woukd want to, but you're right tgat's the biz.

I think the scandal makes it less likely. He is a member of the club "family" even if miscreant member. and things like this tend to bind players, unless the club makes a decision to move them on.

Whitfield mentioned after his issues he felt like staying until retirement in his Sheedy medal acceptance speech.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
He was contracted to play this year, so I think it must have something to do with that. Im not sure why the AFL would be playing ball on this issue though because I think it sets a dangerous precedent with a player retiring to comeback shortly after with associated salary cap issues.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

It’s under this rule. Timing mentioned ‘1 december’ is consistent between the rules above and those mentioned in the fox sports article.

Any player previously listed on an afl club could be signed this way.

It’s an interesting one, does this mean Zac Clarke (ex freo ruck who played in wafl last season) could get a handshake agreement with his preferred club and not nominate for the draft to risk going to a club he didn’t like?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

It’s under this rule. Timing mentioned ‘1 december’ is consistent between the rules above and those mentioned in the fox sports article.

Any player previously listed on an afl club could be signed this way.

It’s an interesting one, does this mean Zac Clarke (ex freo ruck who played in wafl last season) could get a handshake agreement with his preferred club and not nominate for the draft to risk going to a club he didn’t like?

I dont think so. The key is it's a draft.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The new Rule is much more open than how it was primarily reported and interpreted (as retirement/injury replacement)

If you have a spare rookie spot you can upgrade without anyone being injured.

afl is also creating a ‘disabled list’ so if all your senior and rookie spots are full and someone retires or does a season ending injury in pre season you can place that person on the disabled list and use this same rule to sign a rookie as a replacement.

Back