eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
It was the biggest failure of the deal. Will kill the remaining interest in ODIs.

Sub-10,000 crowds for ODIs against anyone other than India/England are about to become the norm one feels. Outside Sydney anyway, for some reason they still manage to get fairly full houses for ODIs at the SCG.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s pretty knowledgeable.

He’s from my town (his little brother will in all likelihood a) end up a better player and b) remain the last ever first grade wicket I take around here) and I’ve interviewed him a lot. He speaks very well, has a good general knowledge of overseas sides which automatically puts him ahead of 90 per cent of Australian commentators, and he’s generally a sports nuffy full stop. He’s a freak at fantasy sports by all accounts (doesn’t mean he is going to be a great commentator obviously but at least it indicates that he’s pretty dedicated to a high level of research and dedication when it comes to sport).
I thought he would end up at Fox because he already does Super Coach stuff for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Interest in the ODI format in Australia nosedived nearly 20 years ago.
Crowds in most of the country dropped off 10 years ago (and you could argue this was more to do with fun police killing the atmosphere that made places like the hill and bay 13 famous) but TV ratings remained quite high. Like others have said the fact that most people won’t be able to watch ODIs anymore will swallow any remaining interest in the format.

The ODIs lost relevance when they stopped doing the tri-series. They just come across as exhibition games now. They should never have robbed us of our net run rates, bonus points and third finals if required, the bastards

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The ODIs lost relevance when they stopped doing the tri-series. They just come across as exhibition games now. They should never have robbed us of our net run rates, bonus points and third finals if required, the bastards

Yep, the excessive crowd policing and the phasing out of the tri-series came around the same time I think.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
They were forever fearful of Australia missing out on the finals, but tri-series were always more gun than exhibition series. I liked the T20 Tri Series idea they tried last year (then forgot to broadcast the final, the *ers). Would like to see them do that with ODIs or T20 with New Zealand most years.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
They were forever fearful of Australia missing out on the finals, but tri-series were always more gun than exhibition series. I liked the T20 Tri Series idea they tried last year (then forgot to broadcast the final, the ******s). Would like to see them do that with ODIs or T20 with New Zealand most years.

Didn't Fox broadcast the NZ games, which included the final?

Yep any cricket fan not a tightwad was able to watch it.

Up until recently when they made the streaming service (which is still a second preference where you're basically paying the same amount for worse quality) those renting with Landlords unwilling to install Foxtel would've had no choice. So it's a tad rich to be that dismissive.

Also those who don't want to give the Murdoch's money would also have a fair gripe that something that should be free isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back