Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
By letting one of their best mids walk out the door for nothing? That's a bold strategy. Let's see how it pays off.
As I said his stats look nice.

But Dew sees his deficits and wants his club to rise. He wants more from his number one inside mid and JL is not capable of that.

I reckon Brisbane are taking him purely as depth. They are gunning for top eight next year and (unlike Port) understand you need decent depth to maintain momentum as the season unfolds to hold decent ladder position.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
By letting one of their best mids walk out the door for nothing? That's a bold strategy. Let's see how it pays off.
Dew obviously has a long term strategy, short term pain, long term gain. I seem to recall the same was said of Buckley when he moved on some pretty good players as well, the likes of Shaw, Cloke etc because they weren't buying in to his game style. It's pretty clear Dew wanted Lyons to change certain aspects of his game which Lyons was either incapable of doing or chose not to.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think from that article that their definition of “best” had to include not just clearance numbers but speed, spread, work rate to get to contests (possibly also code for slow) and poor delivery by foot
I think Lyons seems to fall into that awkward category of not being considered elite, but he's still above average and thus commands a hefty price tag. They probably figure they can get similar output from Miles at a fraction of the price and cutting Lyons frees them up to chase top end recruits down the line.

What boggles my mind is why they didn't seek a trade for Lyons. Why let him walk out the door for nothing?

Dew obviously has a long term strategy, short term pain, long term gain. I seem to recall the same was said of Buckley when he moved on some pretty good players as well, the likes of Shaw, Cloke etc because they weren't buying in to his game style. It's pretty clear Dew wanted Lyons to change certain aspects of his game which Lyons was either incapable of doing or chose not to.
Getting rid of Cloke was a smart move. Shaw not so much. He's produced some very good footy at GWS.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Lyons seems to fall into that awkward category of not being considered elite, but he's still above average and thus commands a hefty price tag. They probably figure they can get similar output from Miles at a fraction of the price and cutting Lyons frees them up to chase top end recruits down the line.

What boggles my mind is why they didn't seek a trade for Lyons. Why let him walk out the door for nothing?

It is a strange way to do it. Maybe they were just happy with the overall result and didn’t need a draft pick. Hopefully one day someone will give us the inside story

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think from that article that their definition of “best” had to include not just clearance numbers but speed, spread, work rate to get to contests (possibly also code for slow) and poor delivery by foot
This debate has really highlighted to me how statistics has lowered the iq of footy supporters in terms of rating a player.

Statistically JL is right up there as an iside mid. Even borderline elite.

But watch how he generates those stats and you realise he really is struggling at AFL level in the role and in reality is a depth/State League standard player.

Put Patrick Wilson in the GC team as the main (only) inside mid and those raw stats will be similar. It is a role where you can generate a lot of stats.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Getting rid of Cloke was a smart move. Shaw not so much. He's produced some very good footy at GWS.
Not seeking the trade is odd.

I guess GC know his worth is a pick they would not use anyway?

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
This debate has really highlighted to me how statistics has lowered the iq of footy supporters in terms of rating a player.

Statistically JL is right up there as an iside mid. Even borderline elite.

But watch how he generates those stats and you realise he really is struggling at AFL level in the role and in reality is a depth/State League standard player.

Put Patrick Wilson in the GC team as the main (only) inside mid and those raw stats will be similar. It is a role where you can generate a lot of stats.

As a comparison we’ve also seen how Mrouch (who I’m sure shades Lyons for clearance work anyway) has added more spread and general impact to his game away from clearances, as well as improving the accuracy of his kicking and developing his right foot so he gets in strife less often

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Dew obviously has a long term strategy, short term pain, long term gain.

Does he define "short term" as "entirety of existence of club"?

Good luck to Jarryd, always liked him. Glad he's at my second favourite club, with his bro.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Does he define "short term" as "entirety of existence of club"?

Good luck to Jarryd, always liked him. Glad he's at my second favourite club, with his bro.
All I know is Stewy is a "winner". As a player Triple Premiership player, Central Districts, Port Power, Hawthorn, successful stint as an Assistant Coach at the Swans.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Not even a future pick for points?
Yeah I dunno.

Maybe there is some underhanded deals going on.

We trade for pick three after we let Francou coach at GC. Which was dependant on the Lions (via our mate Noble) taking on JL so the Suns can dump his salary and the Lions want him for depth.

I will hand you my tin foil hat.....

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
everyone's raving about brisbane and lyons, but this is the same brisbane that won 5 games last season.
They are improving though. Just look at the game they played against Adelaide at the Gabba. I know we had injuries but we usually absolutely smash them and could only manage an 8 point win this year.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
They are improving though. Just look at the game they played against Adelaide at the Gabba. I know we had injuries but we usually absolutely smash them and could only manage an 8 point win this year.
we finished 12th.

You reckon they'll only win 5 this year?
with jarryd lyons, maybe 6.
they're way off, dont think jarryd will improve them much.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Likely. He played well for us and still only got a pick in the 40's. That'd be useless for the Suns.

Think that is the part I struggle with, sometimes you can be close others way off judging a players worth but Lyons continues to confound me, always thought we snag one of those mid to late 20 picks off GC for him at the time but it appears that is his market value (pick in the 40s) and it has stayed there

Back