Gender Equality Action Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Heh this thread still living.

Well Stephen Hicks knows Post Modernism the most. He's the expert of the lot who talk about it. And has an insane ability to trackback in a conversation to reply to points like I have never seen before. I'd recommend reading or listening to his lectures on it if anyone wanted to know more.

I checked out of this thread 40 odd pages ago

This board is king of talking good s**t and then some

This thread, the free agency threads and the Trump thread a couple years back

Just utter utter amazement

We all are aware that some people simply don't want or lack the capacity for whatever reason to have self-control.

It's pretty hard for some seemingly even people to have constant self-control (in terms of violent tendencies) when they work ridiculously long hours or have pre-existing health/anger issues or simply get driven to the breaking point for whatever reason. I'm not excusing the behaviour of those that hit or abuse their kids, but to suggest just practise self-control ffs is only one part of the solution and a rather limited response.

Greater attention to mental health would be part of the broader solution, but lets not ignore the simple fact that disrespectful or very irksome children are quite often the final trigger point (the final straw to break the camel's back so to speak) when it comes to violence towards children. Again, I'm not saying it's warranted to blame the child, but if you have a happy respectful child, then they are less likely to trigger a violent incident (generally speaking), as horrible as it is to say. This is not voiding responsibility for the adult, as the adult needs to identify that they have their own issues to work through and that they need help (anger/self-control, etc) and ultimately they are the ones who should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

To teach your kids to be respectful in general is not a bad or controversial thing to say, it would make them better people in the long-term. If teaching kids to be respectful at a young age stops even one case of a person snapping at their kids in a violent manner, then that advice was worth the price of reading it.

The problem lies in the heat of the moment, where you often lose all sense of control and rationality. I know I lose my bananas after a questionable umpiring decision. It only takes that one moment, no matter how at peace you are or how much you practise self-control.

I agree that JP's phrasing on this is rather unclear for someone who is often quite eloquent and selective with his language.
Just for further clarification...

Controlled aggression and discipline.

I don't agree with a few of his political points and definitely not a fan boy, but he raises interesting points about the need for controlled aggression and discipline.

Last edited:
Anyway, Peterson is also a leading member of the arseoisie, or the “intellectual dark web”, as they prefer it. Again, are you familiar with the “intellectual dark web”? I do hope not. It’s a self-styling by a loose group of soi-disant intellectuals you’d cross continents to avoid having a pint with (although they didn’t go with that tagline in the end). There isn’t space for a full passenger manifest, but they include Peterson, talkshow host Dave Rubin, Newsweek columnist and perma-pundit Ben Shapiro and a bunch of other people bizarrely obsessed with what students do, even though we’ve known since time immemorial that students often act like idiots, and mostly grow out of it unless they’re Hamlet or whatever. Think of the intellectual dark web as a very whiny superhero team. Marvel’s A-Whingers. Guardians of the Galaxy Brains. The League of Extraordinarily Fragile Gentlemen.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...peterson-lobster-analogy-replace-sense-humour

It's long, but very good and he explains a few of the contextual misunderstandings that have been ascribed to his work.

Like a fine wine is Jordan, growing in handsomeness as time goes by. Soon all the women will be swooning just like they did to George Clooney. I might do outside and catch some UV's so I can get a healthy brown glow too.

Like a fine wine is Jordan, growing in handsomeness as time goes by. Soon all the women will be swooning just like they did to George Clooney. I might do outside and catch some UV's so I can get a healthy brown glow too.
Should we get the boys on an all-beef diet?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would be people pay the Guardian to read such trolling? Trolls are free here.

Yeah, when someone who read English at Christ Church and is widely regarded as one of the leading writers in their industry does it, it isn't trolling.

"Hyde began her career in journalism as a temporary secretary on the showbiz desk"

Yep, she's an authority on biochemical behavior.:D

He deals with this idiotic ignorance surrounding that from ~40:00 onwards.

I'm surprised to see you fall in to these types.

Yet she makes the entirely valid point that Peterson likes to play the "mainstream media doesn't like me" and "Look at these media maven type frauds" ... then goes and does an interview with GQ.

Peterson is just another huckster out making a buck off the political climate of the time.

Yet she makes the entirely valid point that Peterson likes to play the "mainstream media doesn't like me" and "Look at these media maven type frauds" ... then goes and does an interview with GQ.

Peterson is just another huckster out making a buck off the political climate of the time.

Mate, people like her fall over themselves to glow in the exposure he brings them.

He's a scientist, she's in the popularity business.

"Hyde began her career in journalism as a temporary secretary on the showbiz desk"

Yep, she's an authority on biochemical behavior.:D

What exactly are Peterson's qualifications for doing all this media and sounding off?

Hyde read English at Oxford and has worked - and still works - for major media outlets.

Maybe Jordan should stick to his books, not out shilling for coins from the gullible.

Mate, people like her fall over themselves to glow in the exposure he brings them.

He's a scientist, she's in the popularity business.

LOL, he was a scientist, he's now a media figure making bucks off it, that's her point.

And she's just as bright as JP, believe, she is.

What exactly are Peterson's qualifications for doing all this media and sounding off?

Education
After graduating from Fairview High School in 1979, Peterson entered the Grande Prairie Regional College to study political science and English literature.[3] He later transferred to the University of Alberta, where he completed his B.A. in political science in 1982.[20] Afterwards, he took a year off to visit Europe. There he developed an interest in the psychological origins of the Cold War, particularly 20th-century European totalitarianism,[3][21] and was plagued by apocalyptic nightmares about the escalation of the nuclear arms race. As a result, he became concerned about humanity's capacity for evil and destruction, and delved into the works of Carl Jung, Friedrich Nietzsche, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn,[14] and Fyodor Dostoyevsky.[21] He then returned to the University of Alberta and received a B.A. in psychology in 1984.[22] In 1985, he moved to Montreal to attend McGill University. He earned his Ph.D. in clinical psychology under the supervision of Robert O. Pihl in 1991, and remained as a post-doctoral fellow at McGill's Douglas Hospital until June 1993, working with Pihl and Maurice Dongier.[3][23]

Career
From July 1993 to June 1998,[1] Peterson lived in Arlington, Massachusetts, while teaching and conducting research at Harvard University as an assistant and an associate professor in the psychology department. During his time at Harvard, he studied aggression arising from drug and alcohol abuse and supervised a number of unconventional thesis proposals.[20] Two former Ph.D. students, Shelley Carson, a psychologist and teacher from Harvard, and author Gregg Hurwitz recalled that Peterson's lectures were already highly admired by the students.[5] In July 1998, he returned to Canada and took up a post as a full professor at the University of Toronto.[1][22]

Peterson's areas of study and research are in the fields of psychopharmacology, abnormal, neuro, clinical, personality, social, industrial and organizational,[1] religious, ideological,[3] political, and creativity psychology.[4] Peterson has authored or co-authored more than a hundred academic papers,[24] has been cited almost 8,000 times as of mid-2017,[25] with a h-index of 39 at Scopus and 51 at Google Scholar.[26][27]

For most of his career, Peterson had an active clinical practice, seeing 20 people a week. He had been active on social media, but in September 2016 he released a series of videos in which he criticized Bill C-16 that changed his career and life.[18][28] In 2017, he decided to put the clinical practice on hold,[10] as well as, in 2018, temporarily stopping teaching because of new projects.[15][29]

Hyde read English at Oxford and has worked ..........

I read English in Kensington.

She's an upper class ponce and indicative of the Fabian style excrement that has polluted left wing politics.

A dyed in the wool poseur.

- and still works - for major media outlets.

So does Gary Buckenara

Maybe Jordan should stick to his books, not out shilling for coins from the gullible.

I do LOL heartily at how you can hold up Marin ****ing Hyde, ZERO credible qualifications, daughter of Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams and the granddaughter of Conservative politician Sir Rolf Dudley-Williams, as a poster child of progressive politics.................yet you can dismiss a small town, working class raised, Professor of Clinical Psychology, who has practiced in 3 major universities, and been involved in presenting over 100 papers, as an opportunistic shill.

It's a classical example of just how ****ed the world has become.

LOL, he was a scientist, he's now a media figure making bucks off it, that's her point.

And she's just as bright as JP, believe, she is.

BUUUUUUUUUUULLSHIT!

Hyde read English at Oxford and has worked - and still works - for major media outlets.

Have you seen the state of the fourth estate, you don't exactly need qualifications nowadays, the internet has seen to that.

He doesn't play that card though, his main sthick is against 'left-leaning variants' in universities. He's anti-third-wave-feminism, pro-free speech and anti-totalitarian, he calls those out he intellectually disagrees with, whether they are in the media or another field. He's more than happy to go down media street to discredit any intellectual opponents or because he feels compelled to for whatever reason. If he gets more money or book sales, then good for him for taking the initiative. I keep reading this flash in the pan stuff, but the amount of attention he has received means that JP will be written about in academia for decades to come, good or bad.

I feel rather dirty for defending him as much as I have in this thread and I'm sure most people from this thread have me on ignore now, but if you are going to criticize someone, people need to get it right and back their claims up.

Zero credible qualifications - apart from her degree from Oxford.

A privileged Oxbridge brat does a few essays, and she can critique a professor and Doctor of clinical psychology who has actually researched psychopharmacology? Is that how it works these days?

I'm gunna channel Freud here - you dudes LIKE him.

Like, have a crush on him.

This is the part where you officially ran out of ideas.

A privileged Oxbridge brat does a few essays, and she can critique a professor and Doctor of clinical psychology who has actually researched psychopharmacology? Is that how it works these days?

She's not attacking his work in his field, she making the very clear point that he's become a media tart. The second he did that, he stepped into her field of excellence.

GQ interviews, lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back