Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
What sports that cost a large amount of money for the rights is available on Netflix?
Netflix is paying $60m for individual films, $100m each for seasons of shows, that's not the issue. Foxtel are still charging a fee that is no longer appropriate in the current market. I actually wonder whether Netflix will branch out into sports. Would be good for competition.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Zero sport. So the comparison is completely pointless.

If they or someone else fork out many, many more millions for AFL, NRL, Cricket and American stuff watch their subscription fees go up 4 fold.
You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.
But don't they sell all that to people all over the world, with many, many more times the subscribers? Not just 1 tiny country.

Sorry if you think someone could outbid Foxtel for that content and then sell it for 10 bucks a month or something you are deluded.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
But don't they sell all that to people all over the world, with many, many more times the subscribers? Not just 1 tiny country.

Sorry if you think someone could outbid Foxtel for that content and then sell it for 10 bucks a month or something you are deluded.
Sports will soon start selling themselves. And Foxtel will still probably be trying to charge $300 connection fees, up to $100 a month, and lock-in contracts.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Season iirc goes about 5 months so more like $50.
I was being a touch facetious. The last country we should be attempting to emulate is America; the AFL season pass (limited to mobile because of its deal with Fox) is $90 for the season. I imagine costs could be brought down substantially in future with competition.

You will struggle to convince me that Foxtel is good value when outside of sport, their channels are either full of s**t repeats, or cost extra, pushing the total up to anywhere between $70 and $100 a month. It's a legacy platform with a legacy price tag. Offer just sport (none of the bullshit add-ons to pad out their profit margin) via my TV box, and I'd be happy to pay $20 a month. But a quick look suggests they want $30 a month, lock-in contract, with a fee to 'upgrade' your TV box :rolleyes:

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well no s**t only a halfwit would buy it for anything other than sport. Or pay even close to $70.

At $20 bucks a month, sport being their only real draw card that they would contribute to the vast majority of their content expenses they would probably go broke.

Go look at what stuff cost in over countries like the UK. If you think Foxtel exploded tomorrow and it all went to someone else and you could suddenly get it for peanuts you are absolutely dreaming.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Well no s**t only a halfwit would buy it for anything other than sport. Or pay even close to $70.

At $20 bucks a month, sport being their only real draw card that they would contribute to the vast majority of their content expenses they would probably go broke.

Go look at what stuff cost in over countries like the UK. If you think Foxtel exploded tomorrow and it all went to someone else and you could suddenly get it for peanuts you are absolutely dreaming.
I only have to look to the recent past to see better access to sports. I'm a sports fan, not a capitalist.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Cricket Australia are shooting themselves in the foot by putting ODIs behind a paywall, they may have got some extra cash but it will kill interest in the game.

What a great way to start the Summer of Cricket here with an ODI that the majority of the population without Foxtel won't be able to watch.

There's been no promotion on FTA for the ODIs either so that will hurt ticket sales, when Ch9 had the rights there would be ads promoting the games.

If people thought the crowds were bad for ODIs in recent years, they will get even worse now as they are off the mainstream FTA radar.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I only have to look to the recent past to see better access to sports. I'm a sports fan, not a capitalist.
It's pro sport, involving the best of the best on massive wages, with leagues that want massive $ for their TV rights. It's just a fact of life someone has to pay.

I mean tickets for West Coast games coast probably $70 minimum now which sucks but when McGovern gets a wage of 1 million plus a season it has to come from somewhere.

If you are anti capitalism and sport the only solution is to go watch the local ammos (seriously people should do this more often).

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It's pro sport, involving the best of the best on massive wages, with leagues that want massive $ for their TV rights. It's just a fact of life someone has to pay.

I mean tickets for West Coast games coast probably $70 minimum now which sucks but when McGovern gets a wage of 1 million plus a season it has to come from somewhere.

If you are anti capitalism and sport the only solution is to go watch the local ammos (seriously people should do this more often).
Ammos is stretching it, but I did enjoy the WAFL on several occasions this year.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Netflix is paying $60m for individual films, $100m each for seasons of shows, that's not the issue. Foxtel are still charging a fee that is no longer appropriate in the current market. I actually wonder whether Netflix will branch out into sports. Would be good for competition.

Netflix is probably paying scratch all for some of their content. Some of the stuff that ends up on their service will be tied to much higher quality productions in bundles, I'd imagine.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
People try to argue that other countries put sports like cricket on pay tv but they have different models where pay tv is better and more easily accessible.

Like in the UK they switched cricket from FTA to Sky but pretty much every one in the UK has Sky,so it wasn't that big a deal and Sky is better than Foxtel.

Most people in Australia don't have Foxtel because it's either too expensive, they think it's rubbish or they just can't get access to it.

There will be a backlash over the ODIs not being shown on FTA, the govt will be putting pressure on to get it back on FTA like they did with the World Cup.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle

The best way to lose viewers and so interest in the sport is stick it behind a paywall. When the Ashes are played in England, you can hear the tumbleweeds rolling around the country.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The best way to lose viewers and so interest in the sport is stick it behind a paywall. When the Ashes are played in England, you can hear the tumbleweeds rolling around the country.
I do actually agree, don't care much about losing ODIs but it sets a dangerous precedent, next deal it could be Test matches which would screw the game.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
People try to argue that other countries put sports like cricket on pay tv but they have different models where pay tv is better and more easily accessible.

Like in the UK they switched cricket from FTA to Sky but pretty much every one in the UK has Sky,so it wasn't that big a deal and Sky is better than Foxtel.

Most people in Australia don't have Foxtel because it's either too expensive, they think it's rubbish or they just can't get access to it.

There will be a backlash over the ODIs not being shown on FTA, the govt will be putting pressure on to get it back on FTA like they did with the World Cup.
Well can you get sport by itself on that and how much does it cost?

edit

"If you want just a TV package with Sky Sports attached, the cheapest way to do that is through Sky.

It costs £22 a month to add two Sky Sports channels onto Sky TV; £26 a month to add three; or £28 a month to add the whole lot. You can chop and change which channels you subscribe to every single month, if you like.

Since Sky's base TV package costs £20 a month (plus setup costs), you can get the whole lot for £48 - or £38 a month if you only want, say, Premier League matches."

If that's correct it's about $68-86 Aus, more expensive than Foxtel.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I'd rather pay for Foxtel and get all the sports in one package than have to pay for them individually through different streaming services.

Even Netflix is losing its value with all content providers starting to take their shows and movies off Netflix to start their own streaming service.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

there's plenty of chat about English cricket not being on terrestrial tv anyway

Back