AFL TAB Refuse to Pay out $150k pay-out to Maths Wiz Uni Student who out-smarted their system

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness, given the absolute state of education in this country today, this kinda is a 'maths wiz' move.

I'm pleasantly surprised when people can even do simple quick maths in their head like 9 x 6 or 8 x 7 these days.

Take the 5k and run.

Obvious error creating a massive palp and covered under T&Cs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the more I think about this, the more laughable this bloke is.

He knew full well that the TAB had ****ed up. I've put on similar bets like this (haven't paid nearly as much) and am fully accepting of the fact they'll probably remove the leg or void my bet completely once they realise the * up.

He's lucky to even get 5k offered to him.

Would be staggered if he wins in court.

Yeah the more I think about this, the more laughable this bloke is.

He knew full well that the TAB had ****** up. I've put on similar bets like this (haven't paid nearly as much) and am fully accepting of the fact they'll probably remove the leg or void my bet completely once they realise the **** up.

He's lucky to even get 5k offered to him.

Would be staggered if he wins in court.
I agree with everything you said, but have you thought about reasons why he didn't take the 5k?

The way I see it, he knew he could take advantage of a TAB utensil up, so why would he stop at just placing one bet? He obviously placed a series of bets. Potentially hundreds. He would have potentially spent over $5k in bets. All bets that the TAB have settled as a loss. Not a refund for a voided bet, but a loss. Why would he settle for a $5k payout if this still means his overall result is a loss?

He will take this to Court, and the TAB will be forced to refund all of his losing bets (provided he has kept the tickets of all losing bets). Even if he disposed of those losing bets, he could request data from the terminal he used at the Glasshouse Hotel to place his bets, which I assume he would have placed all at once. The TAB will be forced to provide this data and refund all losing bets.

I agree with everything you said, but have you thought about reasons why he didn't take the 5k?

The way I see it, he knew he could take advantage of a TAB utensil up, so why would he stop at just placing one bet? He obviously placed a series of bets. Potentially hundreds. He would have potentially spent over $5k in bets. All bets that the TAB have settled as a loss. Not a refund for a voided bet, but a loss. Why would he settle for a $5k payout if this still means his overall result is a loss?

He will take this to Court, and the TAB will be forced to refund all of his losing bets (provided he has kept the tickets of all losing bets). Even if he disposed of those losing bets, he could request data from the terminal he used at the Glasshouse Hotel to place his bets, which I assume he would have placed all at once. The TAB will be forced to provide this data and refund all losing bets.

your just guessing now, he knew exactly what he was doing.. should have taken the 5k.

I don’t think he will get the full amount, however he should be rewarded for great thinking. Couldn’t care if the tab do have to payout.

your just guessing now, he knew exactly what he was doing.. should have taken the 5k.
I'm not disputing he knew what he was doing.

Are you a reasonable person? If so, you would arrive at the same conclusion that a reasonable person would. A reasonable person would expect his winning ticket to be void, as per TAB's terms and conditions. His winning ticket was settled as a "loss". This is unprofessional, unethical and completely unacceptable.

In terms of me guessing, it's an educated guess.

I don’t think he will get the full amount, however he should be rewarded for great thinking. Couldn’t care if the tab do have to payout.

Is it great thinking though? I personally wouldn't even waste my time doing a multi like that, I'd just assume it'd be void if it was even accepted in the first place.

Are you a reasonable person? If so, you would arrive at the same conclusion that a reasonable person would. A reasonable person would expect his winning ticket to be void, as per TAB's terms and conditions. His winning ticket was settled as a "loss". This is unprofessional, unethical and completely unacceptable.

Yep if they settled this as a loss, they have settled every bet placed similarly as a loss. So TAB takes the lot, no chance of winning.

Is it great thinking though? I personally wouldn't even waste my time doing a multi like that, I'd just assume it'd be void if it was even accepted in the first place.
I can see your point, it does seem ridiculous. But I’d have the bet even for a laugh with ya mates, even with $36 wasted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does it say he placed several other palpable error bets that were settled as a loss? Is it behind the paywall story?
The other stories I have found only mention this single $34 multi.

It shouldn’t be settled as a loss I agree.. he should get the payout of amount of a correct bet if that makes sense

Where does it say he placed several other palpable error bets that were settled as a loss? Is it behind the paywall story?
The other stories I have found only mention this single $34 multi.
As previously mentioned, I am making an educated guess.

As previously mentioned, I am making an educated guess.
Fair enough. It just seems like that would be a fairly major part of the story if it were true and whilst the guy is quoted several times, no reference is made to any other bets that were settled as losses. If it is as you guess and his total outlay of bets that should have been voided is greater than the compensation they offered, then I agree, he legitimately has a case. Surely that's what you would be telling everyone but instead, he seems to only be focused on this one winning bet and is taking it to court on some sort of perceived principle.

You are over thinking it. It would be impossible to settle his bet in any other way within the constraints of the system. They settle the individual Sportsbet markets not the ticket as a whole. So if they voided one of the legs they would be voiding the entire Sportsbet market and people who just took one of the markets as a single bet would have their winning bets voided. You can't do that.

They would have blocked the serial number on his ticket so when he has scanned it via an EBT it might have said nil pay or whatever. Then they just had to wait for him to come to them and sook it up and negotiate a position with him from there.

Can't see your typical punter placing a significant amount of bets on something like this, particularly a likely poor uni student knowing that there's fair chance your bet will end up amounting to nothing.

Hasn't been mentioned in the article either so don't you think it's a bit far fetched? The Herald Sun reporter would have been allover that if it was the case surely.

You are over thinking it. It would be impossible to settle his bet in any other way within the constraints of the system. They settle the individual Sportsbet markets not the ticket as a whole. So if they voided one of the legs they would be voiding the entire Sportsbet market and people who just took one of the markets as a single bet would have their winning bets voided. You can't do that.

They would have blocked the serial number on his ticket so when he has scanned it via an EBT it might have said nil pay or whatever. Then they just had to wait for him to come to them and sook it up and negotiate a position with him from there.
It makes sense what you're saying, and I agree with you to an extent.

If they did go to the effort of blocking the serial number on the ticket, would they not have entered in a simple formula to either have "winning ticket" to the value of $36 (his stake), or to the value of $1,152 (what the proper return should have been)?

TAB have no opened themselves up for negative feedback.

For every one of us who think this punter is in the wrong, there would be at least two people who think the TAB are in the wrong. That's an image the TAB would not wanted to have tarnished.

You only have to read the comments in response to the articles on Fox Sports and The Daily Mail to understand the backlash this has resulted in.

upload_2018-11-2_22-36-16.png
upload_2018-11-2_22-36-56.png

upload_2018-11-2_22-46-29.png
upload_2018-11-2_22-47-18.png
upload_2018-11-2_22-47-58.png

It makes sense what you're saying, and I agree with you to an extent.

If they did go to the effort of blocking the serial number on the ticket, would they not have entered in a simple formula to either have "winning ticket" to the value of $36 (his stake), or to the value of $1,152 (what the proper return should have been)?

TAB have no opened themselves up for negative feedback.

For every one of us who think this punter is in the wrong, there would be at least two people who think the TAB are in the wrong. That's an image the TAB would not wanted to have tarnished.

You only have to read the comments in response to the articles on Fox Sports and The Daily Mail to understand the backlash this has resulted in.

View attachment 580919
View attachment 580920

View attachment 580928
View attachment 580930
View attachment 580931

There is no ability to put a simple formula into a system like that.

They can't have emergencies in the cup because the system was set up with a maximum of 24 runners.

The programming for the retail network would have been written 20+ years ago and that is what they are stuck with as it costs too much to do a new build and completely overhaul the fundamentals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back