AFL TAB Refuse to Pay out $150k pay-out to Maths Wiz Uni Student who out-smarted their system

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrelevant if they have insurance or not, you are required by law to give it all back even if you have spent it.

No.

If funds have been transferred into your account through error (either the banks or by another users error) you are not obligated to return the funds.

Its important to note that this is only for electronic transactions, if an ATM spits out too many notes by error from your account then the banks will deduct the funds from your balance when the hopper on the ATM is detected as faulty.

However if I were to accidentally transfer funds to you, you are under no obligation to return them. If my bank accidentally transfers my funds to you (this happens quite a lot actually through teller/banker error) then you are under no obligation to return them, however my bank will reimburse me the funds and they will go through their insurance.

However if I were to accidentally transfer funds to you, you are under no obligation to return them. If my bank accidentally transfers my funds to you (this happens quite a lot actually through teller/banker error) then you are under no obligation to return them, however my bank will reimburse me the funds and they will go through their insurance.

If you accidentally transferred funds to him, you would tell your bank and your bank would go to the receiving bank and the receiving bank has an obligation to attempt to recover the incorrectly transferred funds from the person who received it in error. The receiving bank will just end up blocking his account to recover it.

Unless it is a BPay which isn't covered by the act.

No.

If funds have been transferred into your account through error (either the banks or by another users error) you are not obligated to return the funds.

Its important to note that this is only for electronic transactions, if an ATM spits out too many notes by error from your account then the banks will deduct the funds from your balance when the hopper on the ATM is detected as faulty.

You sure about that?
Ive read cases where a "bank error in your favour" situation resulted in funds being placed into account and the poor sap being prosecuted when they accessed it and spent it all

What he’s getting at is it’s not against the law to do nothing if funds were mistakenly transferred into your account and you let it sit there. If you start spending it, different story. In the interest of not being a s**t human being though, why wouldn’t you notify them? If the little battler who runs the corner shop and works 7 days a week accidentally gives you too much change, do you just walk out and say nothing?

What he’s getting at is it’s not against the law to do nothing if funds were mistakenly transferred into your account and you let it sit there. If you start spending it, different story. In the interest of not being a s**t human being though, why wouldn’t you notify them? If the little battler who runs the corner shop and works 7 days a week accidentally gives you too much change, do you just walk out and say nothing?
I think you're spot on here.

You can't get in trouble for not touching funds that have been incorrectly placed into your account.

If you have $5,000 in your bank account, and $1,500 gets transferred into your account in error. If you spend $5,000 and let the remaining $1,500 sit there, you can't get in trouble. As soon as you start spending that additional $1,500, and you knowingly spend funds that you're not entitled to, then you are committing an offence.

One of the points of proof is "knowingly using, spending, trading or investigating in currency that you're not entitled to."

You could potentially be charged with obtaining financial advantage by deception, and proceeds of crime.

Oh yeah you're not going to get in trouble for it just being there. But who the * is just leaving thousands of dollars in their account knowing they cant use it but not trying to contact the bank to get it back to whoever lost it...

Everyone tries these bets.

Dustin Martin Brownlow Winner + Dustin Martin most Richmond votes. You get that little hit of excitement when both of the selections go into the bet slip and the multi option appears. "Surely not", you think to yourself. You try to put money on it and bam, rejected.

Obviously there's something with the TAB machines where they don't auto-reject these types of bets. But this bloke knew exactly what he was doing and he surely couldn't have expected to get away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See above. s**t human being :thumbsu:

maybe if others weren't so s**t in the first place no one would have that mentality, don't come back with a do good quote of lead the way for change ect ect because you'd be alone in that world, it's dog eat dog the older you get the more it's obvious

As balmainforever said earlier in the thread, at the end of the day it just ruins it for everyone.

TABs response would be to make all those kind of markets as singles only markets and not let you multi them at all.
I would argue that it would only ruin it for the TAB. Bookies make a fortune off multies. Their revenue would be significantly less without them.

Hilarious. Can't just switch around a combo to multiply them and expect the multi to stand.

Classic nuffy move. Might be a maths wiz but not an ounce of common sense.

$5k offer was fair. Now just being unnecessarily eroded by legal fees.

Yeah that's the stupidest bit: having identical legs but just switching the order around. It makes it easy to explain to even a novice that is just not right.

If it was something with a much looser dependence like Kennedy to kick 5 on round one and Eagles make the 8, that would be a bit different.

This is just dumb.

hows this thread got to 3 pages.

in 3 days it's drawn out longer than the actual incident should have dragged out to start with. he's getting nothing, they're completely covered in T&C's they offered him a nice on your way payout and he goes and flogs it up wasting $$$ on lawyers on straight up and down case.

no one is going to make money on a computer coding flaw of event reference codes.

What happens when your parents have protected sex and your mother mistakenly falls pregnant? When you're born, are you entitled to your life?
That would be a case of ' Your daddy ain't your daddy but your daddy don't know '

I consider myself a punters advocate, but seems a big stretch on a clear error.

I am actually on the TAB's side for this one (at least to not paying out full $150k).

It's kinda like when there is a pricing error at Harvey Norman with a large screen TV at $10.

My only surprise is the VCGLR is actually doing something to investigate as they are pretty hit and miss at the best of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back