Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
"There's Magic in the Metal! There's Magic in us all" is my favourite lyric ever written in music.
hmmm ...does the term PoleCat resonate with you? ...just going by a hunch that I may know you...?!?

I'm listening to that ManOwaR album right now...

Don't care what the writer believed, the odds were what mattered. 4th favourite winning a flag is hardly a big surprise.

The coach has had the list for 8 years, he hasn't done anything drastic to turn things around. He just tweaks the list to make finals.
We've been higher than 4th favourite since 2011, with a significantly inferior list. Something must have been ok until finals.. Again, i say we overachieve in h & a, then expectations by many are too high, we don't play finals at home, whatever reason, we don't measure up in September. I think those in control at Geelong do not passively turn up in finals just hoping our luck will turn. They will have agonised over what to do. Comes down to our list on the day, and the fact that we can rarely back up from a really tough slog the week after.that happens in h & a too. What are our results like after a Hawks game? Abysmal?
CS can get them up for an extraordinary effort, but physically and mentally they can not do it the week after.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

Just as an aside does anyone think they signed CS up when they did because there were other clubs circling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Definitely, and easily the best possible choice. I was rapt we went for him ahead of Hinkley and Sando. I think the fact that Brad presented so well in his first year was also a big factor in CS's favour.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We've been higher than 4th favourite since 2011, with a significantly inferior list. Something must have been ok until finals.. Again, i say we overachieve in h & a, then expectations by many are too high, we don't play finals at home, whatever reason, we don't measure up in September. I think those in control at Geelong do not passively turn up in finals just hoping our luck will turn. They will have agonised over what to do. Comes down to our list on the day, and the fact that we can rarely back up from a really tough slog the week after.that happens in h & a too. What are our results like after a Hawks game? Abysmal?
CS can get them up for an extraordinary effort, but physically and mentally they can not do it the week after.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.
I disagree, It all about ball movement and tactics coz the Cats have some of the best players where it counts; in the engine room! That is where games are won and lost and statistically, the Cats had the best defense in the comp last season and a power forward in career best form! Dangerfield, Joel Selwood and Scott Selwood would be considered amongst the toughest players in the game and along with players such as Duncan who has reached elite status when you consider his consistently high numbers all season! The Cats' ball movement broke down at the half forward mark when entering F50 and that is all about running patterns and ball movement! I seen too many times when the ball would get bombed into F50 in the hope that someone would clunk a mark. Dangerfield was wasteful with a lot of his F50 entries along with a number of others! Ask yourself why the Pies were so successful last season without a high scoring key position forward(No Elliot/Moore)! It wasn't Mason Cox that was the focal point, he only started to come good towards the finals when he started to find confidence/form. The pies found that formula for ball movement and constructing goals! #ScottNeedsToGo!

Last edited:

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I disagree, It all about ball movement and tactics coz the Cats have some of the best players where it counts; in the engine room! That is where games are won and lost and statistically, the Cats had the best defense in the comp last season and a power forward in career best form! Dangerfield, Joel Selwood and Scott Selwood would be considered amongst the toughest players in the game and along with players such as Duncan who has reached elite status when you consider his consistently high numbers all season! The Cats' ball movement broke down at the half forward mark when entering F50 and that is all about running patterns and ball movement! I seen too many times when the ball would get bombed into F50 in the hope that someone would clunk a mark. Dangerfield was wasteful with a lot of his F50 entries along with a number of others! Ask yourself why the Pies were so successful last season without a high scoring key position forward(No Elliot/Moore)! It wasn't Mason Cox that was the focal point, he only started to come good towards the finals when he started to find confidence/form. The pies found that formula for ball movement and constructing goals!
B+ Mr Mango War. A much better effort!

I disagree, It all about ball movement and tactics coz the Cats have some of the best players where it counts; in the engine room! That is where games are won and lost and statistically, the Cats had the best defense in the comp last season and a power forward in career best form! Dangerfield, Joel Selwood and Scott Selwood would be considered amongst the toughest players in the game and along with players such as Duncan who has reached elite status when you consider his consistently high numbers all season! The Cats' ball movement broke down at the half forward mark when entering F50 and that is all about running patterns and ball movement! I seen too many times when the ball would get bombed into F50 in the hope that someone would clunk a mark. Dangerfield was wasteful with a lot of his F50 entries along with a number of others! Ask yourself why the Pies were so successful last season without a high scoring key position forward(No Elliot/Moore)! It wasn't Mason Cox that was the focal point, he only started to come good towards the finals when he started to find confidence/form. The pies found that formula for ball movement and constructing goals!
We do have great names, but unless it's wet and heavy, we are simply too slow. Selwood has dropped off a bit as a premium mid, Danger is still awesome, Kelly and Duncan do go missing under intense pressure, Menegola is slow, Guthrie did not recover from his early injury with any potency.
Pies are interesting. Ran out of legs in the GF, but the way they play is just so manic and energy sapping.Their array of small, medium forwards and mids is far superior to ours.
De Goey 48 is peerless, and they got lots from Hoskin Elliott 42, Stevo and Thomas 38, and even Cox 25.
Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams, Treloar, and Grundy are more potent in today's footy than our mix.
I am not sure our boys have the legs to cope with that sort of manic pressure that teams like Pies and Demons can apply, and yes, we did beat them, how I don't know but it was a shocking game in poor conditions, and no Pendles and no bench.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We do have great names, but unless it's wet and heavy, we are simply too slow. Selwood has dropped off a bit as a premium mid, Danger is still awesome, Kelly and Duncan do go missing under intense pressure, Menegola is slow, Guthrie did not recover from his early injury with any potency.
Pies are interesting. Ran out of legs in the GF, but the way they play is just so manic and energy sapping.Their array of small, medium forwards and mids is far superior to ours.
De Goey 48 is peerless, and they got lots from Hoskin Elliott 42, Stevo and Thomas 38, and even Cox 25.
Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams, Treloar, and Grundy are more potent in today's footy than our mix.
I am not sure our boys have the legs to cope with that sort of manic pressure that teams like Pies and Demons can apply, and yes, we did beat them, how I don't know but it was a shocking game in poor conditions, and no Pendles and no bench.
personally, I think it is that we have too many mids running forward of the ball and not enough covering the back door! I know that Ablett is prone to running forward and not manning up! Dangerfield can cop some blame for that also! Duncan used to be bad at it but has improved! I think that Joel Selwood gets caught doing it a bit too often also! It not like we don't have the mids that can chase and tackle but I think it about their mindset as a collective!

personally, I think it is that we have too many mids running forward of the ball and not enough covering the back door! I know that Ablett is prone to running forward and not manning up! Dangerfield can cop some blame for that also! Duncan used to be bad at it but has improved! I think that Joel Selwood gets caught doing it a bit too often also! It not like we don't have the mids that can chase and tackle but I think it about their mindset as a collective!
Probably true, but each of those you named have always been like that. We miss James Kelly, Corey, Ling, Rooke , Milburn- that type of 2-way running mid. I named Pops first, as that type of tackling mid that can play both ways is fantastic.
I personally miss the pressure that Varcoe used to exert as a small forward. I suspect our team does as well.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably true, but each of those you named have always been like that. We miss James Kelly, Corey, Ling, Rooke , Milburn- that type of 2-way running mid. I named Pops first, as that type of tackling mid that can play both ways is fantastic.
I personally miss the pressure that Varcoe used to exert as a small forward. I suspect our team does as well.
agreed, Clinger and Joel Corey were the gatekeepers back in the dynasty years and J.Kelly was of that type also! Joel Corey is one of my favorites from that era! Forever the unsung hero doing the selfless acts and always had a hunger for the chase!

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I just gave you an example. Hawthorn knocked out in the first final in 90.
And were truly truly old and cooked.
Then a first year coach won them a flag.
What better example do you want.
Not taking away from what Scott did but fortunately in 2010 Bomber had the guts to drop Mackie and turn Lonegan into a proper defender which paid dividends the next year.
Also, fortunately Bomber decided to take Ablett out of the MF quite a bit and give others experience which would prove invaluable the next year.
Was a great effort by Scott no doubt, Pies looked to have a dynasty coming but it wasnt all doom and gloom down at the club.

You had to go back 21 years to find me a similar example, back to days when footy was amateurs also and non professionals.

Point proven really just how amazing a feature it is what he did.

Ablett kicked something like 40 odd goals that year if I recall correct and also was BOG by far playing as a midfielder for us in the preliminary final.

We were a much worse off side losing ablett. It was brilliant coaching by Scott to steer the ship losing ablett which hurt us badly.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Definitely, and easily the best possible choice. I was rapt we went for him ahead of Hinkley and Sando. I think the fact that Brad presented so well in his first year was also a big factor in CS's favour.

Um I meant this year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
You had to go back 21 years to find me a similar example, back to days when footy was amateurs also and non professionals.

Point proven really just how amazing a feature it is what he did.

Ablett kicked something like 40 odd goals that year if I recall correct and also was BOG by far playing as a midfielder for us in the preliminary final.

We were a much worse off side losing ablett. It was brilliant coaching by Scott to steer the ship losing ablett which hurt us badly.
Yeah your right was back in the semi pro days.
As I said not taking away what Scott did but it has technically been done even if it was back in the day.
Did Blight win B2B flags as first year coach of the Crows?
Not bloody bad if true. Finished at least 10th the year before, lost Modra in the finals, did a big clean out of some club legends when he got there that pissed off a lot of people.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Yeah your right was back in the semi pro days.
As I said not taking away what Scott did but it has technically been done even if it was back in the day.
Did Blight win B2B flags as first year coach of the Crows?
Not bloody bad if true. Finished at least 10th the year before, lost Modra in the finals, did a big clean out of some club legends when he got there that pissed off a lot of people.

No idea what relevance Adelaide has to any of this as they were coming into an era not leaving one after after 4 years at the top.

More along the lines are looking at what happened to Brisbane after 2003, Essendon after 2001, north post 99.

There is also this massive denial of people on here that losing ablett actually was a loss to us, it’s a topic of complete silence which I find bizzare.

If we didn’t have ablett running around in the midfield in that prelim against collingwood, I suspect the margin of 119 points we belted port by could have been blown out of the water by collingwood.

He made us look much better than we were on the night.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
No idea what relevance Adelaide has to any of this as they were coming into an era not leaving one after after 4 years at the top.

More along the lines are looking at what happened to Brisbane after 2003, Essendon after 2001, north post 99.

There is also this massive denial of people on here that losing ablett actually was a loss to us, it’s a topic of complete silence which I find bizzare.

If we didn’t have ablett running around in the midfield in that prelim against collingwood, I suspect the margin of 119 points we belted port by could have been blown out of the water by collingwood.

He made us look much better than we were on the night.
Oh ok not Adelaide for a first year coach then.
You can discount the 91 one if you want, but what sounds better?
Only coach to do it since players become 100% pro in the late 90's or one of only a very select few in over 150 years of football.
The latter sounds better to me.
Unfortunately I'm one of those people who disagree with you on Ablett.
Obviously we'd have been a better team with him there but we would of lost players.
We had many who were on less value as it was.
If you look at just the 2011 GF in isolation every player except Pods was very important.
Could of we still win losing a couple of good players and a couple of lesser likes but still had Gaz?
Personally I don't think so, and wouldn't wanna change a thing about that year.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Obviously we'd have been a better team with him there but we would of lost players.
This is what people tend to overlook. As much as I love Gaz, his departure actually may have helped keep the team together.
However, it was still a big hole in our midfield that Chris Scott had to deal with. And deal with it he did.

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This is what people tend to overlook. As much as I love Gaz, his departure actually may have helped keep the team together.
However, it was still a big hole in our midfield that Chris Scott had to deal with. And deal with it he did.
Wasn't really that hard to deal with, anyone with half a brain could have dealt with it considering the players he had at his disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back