Why do we have to suffer AFLW on Fox 504?

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
You could claim that, it's subjective isn't it? A lot of people would prefer AFLW to AFLM.
My point was more all the people rushing into this thread letting everyone know that the athletic capacity of Women is less than Men, but as far as I'm aware nobody is making that argument in the first place

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
My point was more all the people rushing into this thread letting everyone know that the athletic capacity of Women is less than Men, but as far as I'm aware nobody is making that argument in the first place

The only valid gripe I can think of is when AFLW content is shown on AFLM shows, if you're not interested in AFLW then that would be annoying.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
As some corroboration of this, albeit in a different sport, Serena Williams herself told David Letterman in 2013, when asked if she
would play that year’s Wimbledon winner Andy Murray, - “Men’s tennis and women’s tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports. If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes...The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder; it’s just a different game. I love to play women’s tennis. I only want to play girls, because I don’t want to be embarrassed.”

Stripped of the PC narrative and associated agendas, that says it all, re women's and men's sport [except possibly sailing and equestrianism (both my sports in younger days)]. And field hockey - I am happy paying to see women's field hockey.

Not really. That quote is her talking about playing tennis against a man, but I don't think anybody here is advocating that women should be playing against men in footy. No one is trying to claim that AFLW teams would be competitive against AFL teams either.
As hard as this may be for you to believe, for many people women's sport is about more than a bloody PC narrative and agendas. Has it occurred to you that women enjoy playing sports to have fun with their friends just like many blokes do? Or to achieve team successes and so on? Or do you just think that is all part of the associated agendas as well? For me it is almost depressing that people like yourself feel that all it comes down to is this said agenda and that people are only involved as some kind of virtue signalling and bending to political correctness. If you ever happen to have an honest, respectful conversation with people involved in womens footy, you'd probably realise there's a bit more to it than that.

Lol!! When she starts potting goals from 60m out off one step then I’ll excuse her for “carrying a few extra pounds”.
Ok you win, no women's player can kick it 60m+ off one step. The player in question is nonetheless a very nice set-shot, can certainly cover 50m pretty casually:
giphy.gif

Fwiw as a self-appointed AFLW expert, I've been quite critical of Perko (lucky to be picked up by the Crows, lucky not to be delisted after a bad second season) but have found her very fun to watch, a really engaging personality out on the field. People always lament a shortage of "characters" when it comes to the modern game, no such problem in this league.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing to consider in this thread is that if you're an adult male, you're not the target market for AFLW.

If you're a youngster who happens to be a girl, there is now the prospect of a professional, well paid future for you in Aussie Rules.

And that's to be celebrated.

Arguments around gulfs in class and quality are inevitable when the privileged realise that there can be a thing that doesn't exist solely for them.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Not really. That quote is her talking about playing tennis against a man, but I don't think anybody here is advocating that women should be playing against men in footy. No one is trying to claim that AFLW teams would be competitive against AFL teams either.
As hard as this may be for you to believe, for many people women's sport is about more than a bloody PC narrative and agendas. Has it occurred to you that women enjoy playing sports to have fun with their friends just like many blokes do? Or to achieve team successes and so on? Or do you just think that is all part of the associated agendas as well? For me it is almost depressing that people like yourself feel that all it comes down to is this said agenda and that people are only involved as some kind of virtue signalling and bending to political correctness. If you ever happen to have an honest, respectful conversation with people involved in womens footy, you'd probably realise there's a bit more to it than that.

Improve your text comprehension. The Serena quote in my post was related to [if you trace thru the thread] Jezza's comment above: "For some of us, AFLW is a recognition that women can reach the same professional level of sport that men can".

Serena blew that soundbite out of the water. You got a problem with that - go talk with Serena.

PS I have no problem with women playing footy. That is not the issue. What interests me is the AFLW hype and the politics, and if you think that AFLW is not driven by these factors, then you are naive.

Last edited:

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Improve your text comprehension. The Serena quote in my post was related to [if you trace thru the thread] Jezza's comment above: "For some of us, AFLW is a recognition that women can reach the same professional level of sport that men can".

Serena blew that soundbite out of the water. You got a problem with that - go talk with Serena.

PS I have no problem with women playing footy. That is not the issue. What interests me is the AFLW hype and the politics, and if you think that AFLW is not driven by these factors, then you are naive.

It wasn't my comment as you say, but sure I traced through the thread and found it. Read the first few words again - "For some of us". So maybe not for you, but for some people, AFLW is a good thing because it gives women the opportunity to play football nationally and professionally like AFL. That's how it is meant to be comprehended.

You've obviously taken it to mean that AFLW teams are as good as AFL sides, which no one in their right mind would ever suggest. If you hadn't just cherry picked one line from Shadow's post, or even if you'd just read the next sentence, you would have known that was not the intention. "Undoubtedly, some of the women's skill levels are not up to the levels of the men, but their intent is there and the example they set for all the aspiring women is there too."

Haha couldn't give a rats tossbag about talking to Serena Williams. It's obvious what she meant, she's talking about her love for womens tennis, trying to bring down womens sport was the last thing she was trying to achieve.

PS if you have an issue with the politics, which is like gender equality and stuff, you probably do have problems with women playing footy

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shouldn't the AFLW have their own channel if they really want to build their brand?

Why must the only AFL dedicated footy channel televise this sub standard form of the game instead of putting up some real football?

They seem to be having an AFLW feast at the moment, horrible to watch.

I love girls/ladies/women, but their standard of footy is hopeless and cringeworthy to watch.

The sooner the AFL realise this and abandon this doomed experiment the better.
you know you can record the footy games?

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
It wasn't my comment as you say, but sure I traced through the thread and found it. Read the first few words again - "For some of us". So maybe not for you, but for some people, AFLW is a good thing because it gives women the opportunity to play football nationally and professionally like AFL. That's how it is meant to be comprehended.

You've obviously taken it to mean that AFLW teams are as good as AFL sides, which no one in their right mind would ever suggest. If you hadn't just cherry picked one line from Shadow's post, or even if you'd just read the next sentence, you would have known that was not the intention. "Undoubtedly, some of the women's skill levels are not up to the levels of the men, but their intent is there and the example they set for all the aspiring women is there too."

Haha couldn't give a rats tossbag about talking to Serena Williams. It's obvious what she meant, she's talking about her love for womens tennis, trying to bring down womens sport was the last thing she was trying to achieve.

PS if you have an issue with the politics, which is like gender equality and stuff, you probably do have problems with women playing footy
Emotional soundbites don't cut it bud - but there you go.

PS Just for the record, I don't have any problem with women playing football, as should be very clear from one of my postings in this thread. And what is also very clear is that you have no clue at all about the underlying 'politics' where the AFLW is just another front in the culture wars [but more for the SRP forum than here].

The next time someone accuses me of been too into footy, I’ll direct them to this thread where people actually watch 504 in the off-season :$

The next time someone accuses me of been too into footy, I’ll direct them to this thread where people actually watch 504 in the off-season :$

Not saying I have a problem with being too into footy, but I've just spent a decent chunk of my time analysing what Fox Footy is broadcasting during the off season:

tassietiger67

Draftee
May 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Shouldn't the AFLW have their own channel if they really want to build their brand?

Why must the only AFL dedicated footy channel televise this sub standard form of the game instead of putting up some real football?

They seem to be having an AFLW feast at the moment, horrible to watch.

I love girls/ladies/women, but their standard of footy is hopeless and cringeworthy to watch.

The sooner the AFL realise this and abandon this doomed experiment the better.

tassietiger67

Draftee
May 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Give the AFL women a fair chance to develop their skills, power, fitness, and finesse! Many are only new to the game, at the top level, having come from other sports. Each year, from 2017 onwards, you could see - if you really love and study this great game - that the women's fitness, ball skills, tackling, marking, game play and tactical nous, have improved rapidly, by 25% or more, year on year. It takes, on average, twelve to fourteen years of careful teaching, training and coaching - if you spot a gifted boy at age ten years - to turn a kid's potential into a fully fledged AFL player. I can promise you that - by the year 2030 - we will all look back to see that many of the girls, now starting at age ten, will have developed their combined game skills and mental focus at a much faster level, than can many boys, esp between ages 16 to 22. The men's game will always be more of a pure power game - due to muscle mass and other body factors - but if you watch the top level of women's soccer, you would know that, right now, that the best, most skilful, high international class, best four soccer players, in this country, are all women, and that the best side to watch playing, as a team, are the women. You would know, as well, that our women's team has a very real chance to win the next World Cup. Can we say that, for the men? AFLW will be just as good a game, and just as good to watch - in terms of tempo, skills, and team play - within five years - as is AFL: of that I have no doubt. So "Go The Tiges!" own AFLW team, for 2020. Our clan of Tigers will all be behind all of the Tiger women, just as we support the men!

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Give the AFL women a fair chance to develop their skills, power, fitness, and finesse! Many are only new to the game, at the top level, having come from other sports. Each year, from 2017 onwards, you could see - if you really love and study this great game - that the women's fitness, ball skills, tackling, marking, game play and tactical nous, have improved rapidly, by 25% or more, year on year. It takes, on average, twelve to fourteen years of careful teaching, training and coaching - if you spot a gifted boy at age ten years - to turn a kid's potential into a fully fledged AFL player. I can promise you that - by the year 2030 - we will all look back to see that many of the girls, now starting at age ten, will have developed their combined game skills and mental focus at a much faster level, than can many boys, esp between ages 16 to 22. The men's game will always be more of a pure power game - due to muscle mass and other body factors - but if you watch the top level of women's soccer, you would know that, right now, that the best, most skilful, high international class, best four soccer players, in this country, are all women, and that the best side to watch playing, as a team, are the women. You would know, as well, that our women's team has a very real chance to win the next World Cup. Can we say that, for the men? AFLW will be just as good a game, and just as good to watch - in terms of tempo, skills, and team play - within five years - as is AFL: of that I have no doubt. So "Go The Tiges!" own AFLW team, for 2020. Our clan of Tigers will all be behind all of the Tiger women, just as we support the men!
Having said all that the all australian girls team will never be competitive much less beat any suburban boys under 16 team so that is a pretty crap standard to be below.
It's a simple fact nobody will be interested except family and friends as it is so sub standard compared to any form of the male game.
As for people having to pay to watch, forget about it......

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Having said all that the all australian girls team will never be competitive much less beat any suburban boys under 16 team so that is a pretty crap standard to be below.
It's a simple fact nobody will be interested except family and friends as it is so sub standard compared to any form of the male game.
Watch a lot of AFLW I assume ?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
if you watch the top level of women's soccer, you would know that, right now, that the best, most skilful, high international class, best four soccer players, in this country, are all women, and that the best side to watch playing, as a team, are the women.
Put down the koolaid for a few moments.

The Aussie girls got thrashed by a bunch of 14yo boys.

Yep, no one watches any women’s sport anywhere in the world. It will never grow an audience or inspire kids.

Back