MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the last 12 months of one sayers betwen injuries rotations and suspensions we have no idea what our best top 7 is. Bowlers pick themselves.

Finch is a lock
I like carey not sure what his best position is
Smith is number 3 when he is back. Who knows with Warner and whether he will be welcomed back
Maxwell is in our best 6 but can he show he can build an innings or bat 6 as a finisher

I don’t rate head, limited footwork and his grip doesn’t allow full range of shots.

Lynn and Short are natural hitters but do they have enough technique to survive even the 50 over game

If we pick s marsh we are just going back to the well again

But let’s pick a top 7 and stick with it up to the World Cup, half the battle is players don’t have any confidence in their own game

The problem with the last 12 months of one sayers betwen injuries rotations and suspensions we have no idea what our best top 7 is. Bowlers pick themselves.

Finch is a lock
I like carey not sure what his best position is
Smith is number 3 when he is back. Who knows with Warner and whether he will be welcomed back
Maxwell is in our best 6 but can he show he can build an innings or bat 6 as a finisher

I don’t rate head, limited footwork and his grip doesn’t allow full range of shots.

Lynn and Short are natural hitters but do they have enough technique to survive even the 50 over game

If we pick s marsh we are just going back to the well again

But let’s pick a top 7 and stick with it up to the World Cup, half the battle is players don’t have any confidence in their own game
Yeah, we've got plenty of work to do between now and the World Cup to figure out who gets a gig.

I'm glad its not just me with Head, I just don't see it.

We're going to find out if Lynn can hang in there for the "long haul" today by the looks.

Everything that is wrong with today’s cricket was just summed up with stonis’ shot

Suddenly putting up with Channel 9's adherent commentary isn't looking to bad if you can watch it for free, is it now?

Australian cricket is dying, but the rot started with Warner and Smith
Started a long time ago. The culture fostered by Steve Waugh was where it began.

Started a long time ago. The culture fostered by Steve Waugh was where it began.

Disagree, but Waugh had the advantage of once in a generation side so they never had to resort to cheating when losing. Waugh had to battle/manage egos as opposed to a lack of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a rule against moving the feet in 50 over cricket . Do we have anyone that can hold an innings together , because they all look like stand and deliver types at the top of the order . It’s lucky we can’t get relegated.

Is there a rule against moving the feet in 50 over cricket . Do we have anyone that can hold an innings together , because they all look like stand and deliver types at the top of the order . It’s lucky we can’t get relegated.

De kock showed how it was done in the first 3 overs.....there has been thoughts by the icc over the last few years to divide one day cricket into two divisions but instead there is now 14 teams. I think they will eventually expand and then divide

I've said it for a long time now, if you're a big footy fan, you have to have Foxtel ... Now the same can be said for cricket.
I've said it for a long time now, i'm bloody poor!

Who knew fostering a culture of competitiveness would be such a negative for the national sporting side??

Who knew fostering a culture of competitiveness would be such a negative for the national sporting side??
A culture of "win at all costs" was what Steve Waugh created, Australian cricket always had a culture of competitiveness, Waugh united his team under the guise of the rest of the cricketing world being the enemy. Perfectly possible to be a ruthless, brilliant cricket side without needing Waugh's baggy green jingoism.
Disagree, but Waugh had the advantage of once in a generation side so they never had to resort to cheating when losing. Waugh had to battle/manage egos as opposed to a lack of talent.
Waugh had a phenomenal team, but I reckon the culture he created was inevitably going to morph into the cannibalising regime it has become. It swallowed Ponting once it was clear his runs had dried up, and we now have a national team where a phoney culture is so entrenched that certain players aren't picked because they "don't fit the mantra". Waugh, to his credit, was very good at managing egos and keeping his team united despite the range of personalities within.

On the other hand, Clarke, despite being arguably the best tactical captain in decades, wasn't so good at it, and Smith really struggled. They continue to cycle through every batsman but Glenn Maxwell, his FC average still stands alone as guys like Labuschagne and Mitch Marsh leapfrog him. M.Marsh finally had a year of not being utter s**t, and he became VC, before becoming s**t again in the UAE. The standards expected of certain players are so different to those expected from others. Matt Renshaw is the most promising opener we have had in years, and he was dropped for Bancroft at the behest of Langer (who was WA coach at that point) because "he was a better cultural fit". Its not like this was a period of madness that is changing either, CA continues to promote from within rather than challenge its own culture. Credit to Paine for trying to change things, and we can only hope that Peever's resignation is the catalyst.

This is what happens when from grass roots to the national team selection is based on potential over performance. It's a long road back for Australian cricket.

FB_IMG_1541333818069.jpg

A culture of "win at all costs" was what Steve Waugh created, Australian cricket always had a culture of competitiveness, Waugh united his team under the guise of the rest of the cricketing world being the enemy. Perfectly possible to be a ruthless, brilliant cricket side without needing Waugh's baggy green jingoism.

Waugh had a phenomenal team, but I reckon the culture he created was inevitably going to morph into the cannibalising regime it has become. It swallowed Ponting once it was clear his runs had dried up, and we now have a national team where a phoney culture is so entrenched that certain players aren't picked because they "don't fit the mantra". Waugh, to his credit, was very good at managing egos and keeping his team united despite the range of personalities within.

On the other hand, Clarke, despite being arguably the best tactical captain in decades, wasn't so good at it, and Smith really struggled. They continue to cycle through every batsman but Glenn Maxwell, his FC average still stands alone as guys like Labuschagne and Mitch Marsh leapfrog him. M.Marsh finally had a year of not being utter s**t, and he became VC, before becoming s**t again in the UAE. The standards expected of certain players are so different to those expected from others. Matt Renshaw is the most promising opener we have had in years, and he was dropped for Bancroft at the behest of Langer (who was WA coach at that point) because "he was a better cultural fit". Its not like this was a period of madness that is changing either, CA continues to promote from within rather than challenge its own culture. Credit to Paine for trying to change things, and we can only hope that Peever's resignation is the catalyst.

Not sure I agree at all that Steve Waugh creating a culture 20 years ago equates to anything now. We also had the most dominant side in the world for 20 years.

Besides giving Paine credit? He's also been picked for his culture over performance.

It's nonsense, culture of the Australian side isn't the problem, the absolute state of our FC batsmen is the problem.
Look at the averages across the FC scene, the worst in the last 40 years

Also the line about how certain players aren't picked because they don't fit the mantra is exactly how Simon Goodwin is picking his side.

Not sure I agree at all that Steve Waugh creating a culture 20 years ago equates to anything now. We also had the most dominant side in the world for 20 years.

Besides giving Paine credit? He's also been picked for his culture over performance.

It's nonsense, culture of the Australian side isn't the problem, the absolute state of our FC batsmen is the problem.
Look at the averages across the FC scene, the worst in the last 40 years

I heard the other day that since Marcus Harris' debut in 2011, no-one had scored more domestic first class runs than him over that time. He averages 35 - and that was only boosted by his last 2 shield innings.

WA have an opening batsman (Wells) who averages 24 from 54 first class games and got picked again despite making 46 runs from 4 innings so far this year. And Will Bosisto averages less than 20 from 18 matches and has got a game this week after making bugger all in his previous game.

20 years ago these guys wouldn't have been given any more than about 5 games before being turfed for not scoring enough.

Meanwhile there's blokes scoring hundreds in first grade and they simply don't get a look in.

Oh and with the ground at Optus today - I spoke to several people (who are cricket followers) about whether or not they were going, and all but one said no. There's certainly a level of disinterest now because (a) ball tampering saga hence not watching the best players play (b) cost of tickets, prices keep going up but the average punter is watching his pay go nowhere, (c) team performance since last summer, what's it up to now, lost 12 of last 13 ODIs?, (d) we're used to having ODIs in January (school holidays etc), not November and (e) who's got 9 hours to watch a whole game these days.

CA haven't been listening as usual.

I don’t think Waugh set a bad culture, and I don’t think he had a win at all costs me mentatilty. He was as about as competitive as they come, but he respected the game and wouldn’t cross the line to win a game.

Agree with Topkent it’s less about culture and just not having the talent across all levels. It’s probably a perfect storm at the moment lack of talent, lack of culture, leadership and confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back