Status
Not open for further replies.
Exciting Bulldog fractures wrist in car accident
Michael Whiting
Nov 2, 2018 8:05PM

603297-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Billy Gowers led the Bulldogs' goalkicking in his first season in 2018
Related
WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Billy Gowers has fractured his wrist in a car accident on Thursday.

The Bulldogs confirmed the news on Friday night, saying the 22-year-old would be sidelined "for a short period of time" while he recovered.

Gowers was at the club earlier in the day.

NAB AFL DRAFT HUB Latest news, video and more

There were no other serious injuries sustained by occupants of the two vehicles involved.

The club said Gowers' preparation for next season would not be impacted significantly.

The clever forward is fresh off a terrific debut season in which he kicked 26 goals to lead the Bulldogs' goalkicking.

He was on Carlton's rookie list for two years before being delisted and headed to Footscray's VFL side.

Gowers was rewarded for his 2018 by signing a two-year contract extension in September.
Exciting Bulldog fractures wrist in car accident
We need Uber as sponsors it seems

This morning I heard SEN talking about a Bulldog that won't be getting a full pre-season in this year - I had to turn the radio off so didn't hear who it was. Can anyone fill me in that heard it?

THE EARLY return to pre-season training of premiership stars Liam Picken and Tom Liberatore has the Western Bulldogs' crop of exciting young talent inspired, key defender Aaron Naughton says.

The crucial playmaking pair has been notable on the track this week, returning with the first-to-fourth-year players despite not being required on duty until November 19.

Picken failed to play a senior game this season after suffering a heavy concussion in the JLT Community Series in March, while Liberatore ruptured his ACL for the second time in round one of the season proper.

Speaking after training on Friday, Naughton said he and his fellow youngsters were buoyed by having such respected teammates on the track so early into their 2019 preparations.

FULL FIXTURE Every round, every game

"Picko and Libba are good characters and bring a lot of energy to the group, so it's really good to have some leadership around us young boys," Naughton told AFL.com.au.

"They seem like quiet blokes, but in the inner sanctum they're quite vocal.

"They both pretty much missed the whole of last season, so to have them back for week one of training is very exciting for us.

"They're both really good players and been around the club for so long. Hopefully I get the opportunity to play alongside them more often, because they bring so much to the team."

PROS AND CONS Our verdict on your club's fixture

Picken, who did some training throughout the year during his recovery from his head knock, looked sharp on the track, while Liberatore showed no signs of his injury as he completed a series of ball- and goal-kicking drills.

Fifth-year players Toby McLean, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel and Roarke Smith were not required back at the club until later in the month, but have also been training strongly.

With the Dogs struggling to hit targets and the scoreboard since they won the premiership in 2016, Naughton said senior coach Luke Beveridge had once again emphasised to his players that sharpening up their skills would be a major focus this off-season.

WHO MAKES FINALS? Do the 2019 Ladder Predictor

Under the watchful eye of development manager Rohan Smith, the young pups were put through a range of drills on Friday focused on hitting targets via foot.

Towards the end of the 90-minute session, the attention switched to goal kicking, with players honing their skills with running, set and banana shots on goal.

"Bevo is always encouraging us to improve our skills, so the balls were out on day one of training, and I think that lifts the spirits of the boys, because there's nothing better than having a footy in your hands," Naughton said.

Tom Boyd looking skinnier in his social media post
Looks like he dropped 4-6kg

Was going to say something similar, looks quite fit. Should be burning the house up when he starts pre-season.
Looks like more of a KPF body than ruckman, just saying...

A SHOCK fourth-place finish in the Western Bulldogs' best and fairest has given first-year key defender Aaron Naughton the confidence he has what it takes to combat the AFL's star forwards.

Assigned the daunting tasks of standing gun goalkickers Lance Franklin, Joe Daniher, Jack Darling and Jeremy Cameron in his debut season, Naughton didn't look out of place against the quality quartet, and his efforts were rewarded at last month's Charles Sutton Medal count, despite missing four games through injury.

When reflecting on such an admirable achievement, the 19-year-old says the coaching panel's acknowledgement gives him the belief he's capable of better things next season.

And it should come as no surprise he breezed through his exit meeting, with coach Luke Beveridge, backline coach Steven King and football manager Chris Maple all giving the West Australian a gold star for a season that saw him earn a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

"I guess I was a little bit surprised because I didn't know how the voting worked, and when I got (to the best and fairest on the night), they told me if you play most games you'll poll OK," Naughton told AFL.com.au.

"To finish fourth was a bit of a shock, but I suppose it was a reflection that (the coaches) rated my first season.

"My exit meeting was alright, but I didn’t know what to expect and how the procedure ran.

"They were really positive after I played a few games in my first year as a key defender, so they were happy and want me to continue learning and grow my game.

"They really instilled some confidence in me."

MUST-WATCH GAMES The 22 you won't want to miss

While he's one of the AFL's most impressive young intercepting key defenders, Naughton, under Beveridge's flexibility mantra, also got the opportunity to show he can also be a marking option up forward.

That versatility was evident when he took several contested marks and slotted two goals against North Melbourne in round nine, but as he begins preparations for his second season at the highest level, Naughton is expecting to be standing alongside Franklin in the Dogs' 2019 season opener against Sydney at Marvel Stadium.

"I haven’t really had a conservation with 'Bevo' yet, but I'm pretty settled in defence," Naughton said.

"I'm always looking to improve my forward craft, and if I'm called to play down there I'm happy to, but I'm happy down back."

Another shock to come out of the Whitten Oval at the end of the season was Marcus Adams' trade request and subsequent move to Brisbane after three injury-marred seasons in the red, white and blue.

While he's disappointed to see the hulking stopper move on, Naughton believes the Dogs have plenty in reserve to cover Adams' loss.

"We've got Lewis Young, who is another key defender, and two seasons ago showed some real promise and some exciting footy, so I guess he'd be the No.1 guy to replace Marcus," Naughton said.

"He'd be able to hold down that key position in the backline."

A SHOCK fourth-place finish in the Western Bulldogs' best and fairest has given first-year key defender Aaron Naughton the confidence he has what it takes to combat the AFL's star forwards.

Assigned the daunting tasks of standing gun goalkickers Lance Franklin, Joe Daniher, Jack Darling and Jeremy Cameron in his debut season, Naughton didn't look out of place against the quality quartet, and his efforts were rewarded at last month's Charles Sutton Medal count, despite missing four games through injury.

When reflecting on such an admirable achievement, the 19-year-old says the coaching panel's acknowledgement gives him the belief he's capable of better things next season.

And it should come as no surprise he breezed through his exit meeting, with coach Luke Beveridge, backline coach Steven King and football manager Chris Maple all giving the West Australian a gold star for a season that saw him earn a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

"I guess I was a little bit surprised because I didn't know how the voting worked, and when I got (to the best and fairest on the night), they told me if you play most games you'll poll OK," Naughton told AFL.com.au.

"To finish fourth was a bit of a shock, but I suppose it was a reflection that (the coaches) rated my first season.

"My exit meeting was alright, but I didn’t know what to expect and how the procedure ran.

"They were really positive after I played a few games in my first year as a key defender, so they were happy and want me to continue learning and grow my game.

"They really instilled some confidence in me."

MUST-WATCH GAMES The 22 you won't want to miss

While he's one of the AFL's most impressive young intercepting key defenders, Naughton, under Beveridge's flexibility mantra, also got the opportunity to show he can also be a marking option up forward.

That versatility was evident when he took several contested marks and slotted two goals against North Melbourne in round nine, but as he begins preparations for his second season at the highest level, Naughton is expecting to be standing alongside Franklin in the Dogs' 2019 season opener against Sydney at Marvel Stadium.

"I haven’t really had a conservation with 'Bevo' yet, but I'm pretty settled in defence," Naughton said.

"I'm always looking to improve my forward craft, and if I'm called to play down there I'm happy to, but I'm happy down back."

Another shock to come out of the Whitten Oval at the end of the season was Marcus Adams' trade request and subsequent move to Brisbane after three injury-marred seasons in the red, white and blue.

While he's disappointed to see the hulking stopper move on, Naughton believes the Dogs have plenty in reserve to cover Adams' loss.

"We've got Lewis Young, who is another key defender, and two seasons ago showed some real promise and some exciting footy, so I guess he'd be the No.1 guy to replace Marcus," Naughton said.

"He'd be able to hold down that key position in the backline."

Poor Fletch hahaha

There's an article on Schache on the HSun site that is blocked by a paywall - can someone who has access please copy and paste the article here so we can all have a read.
Thanks in advance Bulldog!

There's an article on Schache on the HSun site that is blocked by a paywall - can someone who has access please copy and paste the article here so we can all have a read.
Thanks in advance Bulldog!
Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache adds almost five kilos ahead of big summer
SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
November 15, 2018 7:28pm

Josh Schache expedited his travel plans.

As the footy world soaked up the start of September the Western Bulldogs sharpshooter and housemate Brad Lynch jetted to the US.

The duo sat in the Dodger Stadium stands as LA piled on a run-fest against the New York Mets and then watched Philadelphia outlast Indianapolis Colts in the NFL.

Then, with more than a month left on the holiday clock, Schache returned home and got to work.

“I’ve put on 4.7kg,” Schache said before ‘Handball Club’ at Whitten Oval, where Bulldog youngsters were joined by Tom Liberatore, Liam Picken and Jackson Trengove.

“That was my goal over the off-season, to get in the gym more and do more swimming and I’ve been eating more to put that extra weight on.

“I feel like that’s where I can catch a little bit of a break to other players.

“I’d eat around six meals a day. Before weights I’d get around four eggs in and a couple of pieces of toast.”

Schache has confused his scales in recent years as his weight fluctuated.

In 2015 he was drafted at about 96kg. Then, at the Brisbane Lions, he peaked at about 103kg.

Last year Schache shed 10kg — cutting out carbs as he trimmed down to about 93kg — and right now he has beefed back up to 99kg.

The plan is to maintain the gains over summer. Then, he is hopeful it will make him harder to move in 2019.

“As a key forward you need to be strong in contests,” Schache said.

“Definitely in my lower body. I’ve put a kilo on each side, so each leg, and that gives you that bit more stability being able to hold your ground.”

It’s been a turbulent ride for the No.2 pick, who has eked out 40 games and 42 goals in three seasons.

But the 21-year-old has never been happier, living just minutes from Whitten Oval with Lynch and Bailey Dale and returning to Seymour most weekends.

It was at the Seymour Football Club where he was been pumping weights in October.

“It’s pretty quiet in there and they’ve got everything I need,” Schache said.

Then there’s the swimming, also completed back at his hometown.

“Mainly freestyle,” Schache said. “I’d get up to 1.5km some sessions in a bit under half an hour.

“I don’t mind swimming, so I’ll get in there most days and it works your upper body a bit more.

“It’s good for your aerobic capacity as well.”

A long-time strength of Schache’s is his set-shot routine, likened to a fluent golf swing in his draft year.

Schache spins the Sherrin three times, walks eight steps, jogs four steps and kicks.

“I try and walk straight, jog straight and kick straight and then hopefully the ball goes straight,” he said.

Marked into his 2019 diary will be more video analysis of the game’s best key forwards alongside coach Ash Hansen.

Jack Riewoldt is a favourite of Schache’s while coach Luke Beveridge highlighted a defensive trick of Josh Kennedy’s game.

“I was talking to Bevo before and he brought up how Josh Kennedy’s short steps really complement his team defence,” he said.

Short steps?

“It means defensively not lumbering in, so shortening your steps and coming in a bit more agile and being able to close off those exits to give my teammates down the field a little bit more time to set up.”

This year Schache said the goal was to “have a lot of fun and learn a lot” as he enjoyed being back into Victoria.

Next season is simply about building on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back