2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps my #1 midfielder in 2019 I reckon. Capable of 120+ average and some huge games. Even his poor games are a pass mark.

Zerrett and MCrouch my value pair. Also capable of 110+ averages and are undervalued going into next year.

Angus Brayshaw is my final big name mid. Has shown he can take it to the next level and I love his +6s. That being said...I'm starting to consider Josh Kelly instead.

It'll be interesting what the main go with rucks in 2019 will be. Will Grundy and Gawn from the beginning be necessary? With Preuss at Melbourne now will Gawn score less? Will Goldstein pop up and becoming a top 2 ruck? So many questions.
Cripps looks a top 3 mid to me. Came home like a steam train and still improving

The 2nd ruck is a big question mark for me. Not sure whether to just pay up for Grundy/Gawn at the start, or try and ride a cheapy like Kreuzer for 6-7 weeks and then being in say Gawn. Those 2 look head and shoulders above the rest again though. Don’t think Preuss will play

Cripps looks a top 3 mid to me. Came home like a steam train and still improving

The 2nd ruck is a big question mark for me. Not sure whether to just pay up for Grundy/Gawn at the start, or try and ride a cheapy like Kreuzer for 6-7 weeks and then being in say Gawn. Those 2 look head and shoulders above the rest again though. Don’t think Preuss will play
I'm thinking about doing the same. But then K think back to earlier this year when I waited weeks to be able to trade Grundy in to compliment Gawn. JLT will reveal all I guess.

Any love for Josh Kelly next year?

With Cripps they kept seeming to not bother with a tag as much as they shouldve due to the blues being so poor with an improvement in team he could get more tags. Albeit only keeping him to 80s-95.

Ill likely pick one of Dusty or P.Cripps pending how much money i have left for the last premo mid.

Ill probably lock in Dangerfield, Z.Merrett, M.Crouch, A.Brayshaw now.... cant see the first 3 changing unless of injury or limited preseason.
That's not true at all, Cripps was tagged every game

Pretty muhc, injured Murphy, every other midfielder was basically 18 years old or Ed Curnow. Would be a bold team to tag a tagger and let Cripps run free.

We have a choice of Bont (largely pointless), Macrae (similar) or JJ (very effective).

Guess who people (other than Bwad Scott) choose ???

For a change I think we'll have a lot of top price rookies to choose from with maybe 12 of the top 20 draftees playing rd1 plus a couple of the mature guys at GC.
I reckon the following play rd 1 (guessing the draft)
Walsh
Ranking
JL
Rozee
Blakey
Smith
Collins
Clarke
Collier-Dawkins
Plus maybe Hately, Eli Smith and Valente
And that's without 2017 draftees!!

I've been thinking for a couple of years that there maybe a year where there are so many good rookies that going in with 2-3 million in the bank but makes heaps of $$ early.
This could be a way to get a team full of premo's a couple of rounds earlier than everyone else and as you might be back a bit, make a late run
Of course you'd have to have a magic run with injuries but imagine in rd's 6,7,8 being able to upgrade 5-6 rookies!!!

Last edited:
For a change I think we'll have a lot of top price rookies to choose from with maybe 12 of the top 20 draftees playing rd1 plus a couple of the mature guys at GC.
I reckon the following play rd 1 (guessing the draft)
Walsh
Ranking
JL
Rozee
Blakey
Smith
Collins
Clarke
Collier-Dawkins
Plus maybe Hately, Eli Smith and Valente
And that's without 2017 draftees!!

I've been thinking for a couple of years that there maybe a year where there are so many good rookies that going in with 2-3 million in the bank but makes heaps of $$ early.
This could be a way to get a team full of premo's a couple of rounds earlier than everyone else and as you might be back a bit, make a late run
Of course you'd have to have a magic run with injuries but imagine in rd's 6,7,8 being able to upgrade 5-6 rookies!!!

Collier Dawkins unlikely id say

Does Blakey play round 1 for Sydney doubtful for me aswell

JL pending where he goes... top 4 picks as stabd now youd think so he plays for GC or STK round 1

The introduction of the mature agers puts it right into the premo/rookie strategy however i dont think weve seen anything different for years now so evertone has the same strategy.

Certainly some top end talent that has played against men in the top 10. Even Clarke though does he get a game at say Adelaide round 1?

How many top 10 picks played round 1 last year?

A fair few of the top 10 started last year from memory i expect it to be the same

I’ll be looking very close at loading up on some crows players this year. Have a very good draw and returning from injury I can see some big price rises coming. Probably start with Sloane, m crouch and smith. Would have liked b crouch but read on their board he may not Be back ready till rnd 6 or so

What do people think of McCluggage for a potential 3rd year break out next year? Still a year or two early on him?

Showed some great signs throughout the year and built in to the season really nicely. Lions have a strong midfield and will want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Currently in my team if he keeps forward status but not sure that he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of McCluggage for a potential 3rd year break out next year? Still a year or two early on him?

Showed some great signs throughout the year and built in to the season really nicely. Lions have a strong midfield and will want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Currently in my team if he keeps forward status but not sure that he will.
If he keeps Forward status, definitely one to keep an eye on. Couldn’t justify it in the mids with cheap guys like Hannebery, Miles, Crouch etc. always nice to try and chase the next big breakout player and McCluggage is definitely in the conversation

Sounds like a few of the mid locks wont be ready round 1 ie Scully and B.Crouch. Makes for more unique sides i like that. If they start round 1 everyone picks them.

Mcgluggage should only be a mid for me however its fantasy afl. He played off a wing all year. Hes certainly an option for a breakout his back end of season saw some very nice scores.

I like Taranto still have to consider the depth of GWS midfield with Coniglio, J.Kelly, Hopper, Ward. Hes still moved up a spot though.

Last edited:
Will Danger, Dunkley,Menegola, Heeney etc keep Forward status?

Will Yeo keep defender status?
It's hard to know because they are really stingy with these things early in the season and we don't have full access to all the stats they base it off, but if i had to guess i would say Danger and and Dunkley are 50/50 chance of keeping it. Menegola and Heeney i think will keep it and i think Yeo is almost no chance of keeping defender status.

It's hard to know because they are really stingy with these things early in the season and we don't have full access to all the stats they base it off, but if i had to guess i would say Danger and and Dunkley are 50/50 chance of keeping it. Menegola and Heeney i think will keep it and i think Yeo is almost no chance of keeping defender status.
Tend to agree on Yeo, he’s pretty much exclusively a mid/ wingman now. Danger and Dunkley predominantly mids too. Could be slim pickings in the Forward and defensive areas next season

Will Danger, Dunkley,Menegola, Heeney etc keep Forward status?

Will Yeo keep defender status?

Heeney only one that keeps position outside of mid for me and thats the way it should be

Yeo zero chance for defender. Played 1 game there all year

Yeo and Brayshaw puzzle me the most as to whether to pick as sole mids next year

Heeney only one that keeps position outside of mid for me and thats the way it should be

Yeo zero chance for defender. Played 1 game there all year

Yeo and Brayshaw puzzle me the most as to whether to pick as sole mids next year
Heeney likely be the number 1 mid I feel with others loosing Forward status and him pushing into a full time mid role

8 of Yeo’s last 11 scores were 110+, averaged 116 post bye. Still keen on him as a mid only. Will be very unique in there too

My take on those listed and others:
Dangerfield M
Dunkley M
Yeo M
Heeney M
Rocky M
Devon Smith M
Menegola F/M
McLean F/M
Sicily D
Taranto F/M
Whitfield D/M

Pre season planning:
DEF: Docherty, Williams
Watching: Ryan, Bowes, Roberton, Birchall, Ling, Wigg, Collins

MID: Z.Merrett, Cripps, Oliver, Fyfe, B.Crouch, Sloane, Setterfield
Watching: Brodie, McCluggage, Hanners, Hanley, Bonar, Constable, North, West (TBC)

FWD: Greene, Taranto, Lynch (RIC)
Watching: Walters, Daniels, Elliott, Corbett, MacPherson, Newnes, Moore (HAW)

RUC: Grundy
Watching: Mumford (TBC)

Probably forgot done others....

How does lachie neale go next season? Back to 110?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back