Rumour Young players ask Gold Coast not to pick him in draft

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi guys

Have this confirmed 100%. Jack Lukosius held a meeting with Gold Coast and told them he has no interest in joining them and pleaded for them to not pick him in the coming draft.

Gold Coast have reported his management to the AFL under the idea of draft tampering and a investigation is happening as we speak.

A fair chance his management are stripped of their licenses to manage AFL players at this point in time, but expect it to be a big story in the next 1-2 weeks

You can take this or leave it and I will not disclose my source for this info under any circumstances so do not ask
All the more reason for GC to draft him.

May 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
29,327 posts
The punishment of being one of the best kids in your draft year - you have to go to one of the shittest clubs. Yeh great, so happy about working so hard and being the best I can be so that my career can go and get screwed by a club and coach that have NO Idea

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
100% Luko should get banned if this is true. What is wrong with these kids? I would have loved to moved interstate at that age, what an adventure. Playing footy, getting good coin.

I just don't get it. Are kids really that attached to their family that they need to see them face to face everyday?

If you had 18 footy clubs desperate for you, GC would be at the bottom of the list.

I'm going a bit against the grain and saying that if I were in a club's recruiting team, I would be rather appreciative if a player told my club not to draft them as they'd be leaving in 2 years. I do not think players should be so precious, especially when they're extremely protected in that they need to agree to trades, unlike a league like the NBA where you can be traded to the other side of the country, mid-season, without a moment's notice. But the reality is that player movement in the AFL is currently set up in such a way that the club never has "the power", whilst players get full power via FA, but then leverage that fact to demand a trade earlier, anyway.
Since you can't change the heavily player-favoured system, you can only work within it, so knowing that players X,Y,Z will be demanding a trade after 2 years before you draft them is much, much better than having them lie to you and then demand the trade anyway; especially when the top ~6 is so even this year, such that even if only 2 of them don't indicate they'll want a trade, you can't complain.

This would be a different story if every single one of the elite players made such a statement, in which case you would almost need the AFL to step in and offer some form of guarantees (dodgy underhanded dealings, I know) or force the AFLPA to agree to a more realistic balance in trading power prior to the 2 year draftee contract expiring. Whilst the GC is a poorly run club, they'll have no chance to turn it around if they can't draft anyone.

Unfortunately, I think we're going to need to see a young star's career ruined before they stop playing these kinds of games. Imagine someone like Lukosius being drafted to the GC, playing for 18 months and not re-signing a multi-year deal with the GC so that he can request a trade at the end of his second season, only to succumb to a major injury which derails his career and costs him not only offers from other clubs, but the initial lucrative offer from the GC. That kind of horror story is seemingly the only thing that would change their attitude, and perhaps the only thing outside of the AFLPA playing ball.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Haven't heard this about Lukosius.

Have heard it about Bailey Smith but, something that has gained more traction over the past few days.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I'm going a bit against the grain and saying that if I were in a club's recruiting team, I would be rather appreciative if a player told my club not to draft them as they'd be leaving in 2 years. I do not think players should be so precious, especially when they're extremely protected in that they need to agree to trades, unlike a league like the NBA where you can be traded to the other side of the country, mid-season, without a moment's notice. But the reality is that player movement in the AFL is currently set up in such a way that the club never has "the power", whilst players get full power via FA, but then leverage that fact to demand a trade earlier, anyway.
Since you can't change the heavily player-favoured system, you can only work within it, so knowing that players X,Y,Z will be demanding a trade after 2 years before you draft them is much, much better than having them lie to you and then demand the trade anyway; especially when the top ~6 is so even this year, such that even if only 2 of them don't indicate they'll want a trade, you can't complain.

This would be a different story if every single one of the elite players made such a statement, in which case you would almost need the AFL to step in and offer some form of guarantees (dodgy underhanded dealings, I know) or force the AFLPA to agree to a more realistic balance in trading power prior to the 2 year draftee contract expiring. Whilst the GC is a poorly run club, they'll have no chance to turn it around if they can't draft anyone.

Unfortunately, I think we're going to need to see a young star's career ruined before they stop playing these kinds of games. Imagine someone like Lukosius being drafted to the GC, playing for 18 months and not re-signing a multi-year deal with the GC so that he can request a trade at the end of his second season, only to succumb to a major injury which derails his career and costs him not only offers from other clubs, but the initial lucrative offer from the GC. That kind of horror story is seemingly the only thing that would change their attitude, and perhaps the only thing outside of the AFLPA playing ball.
Good post.

I think clubs need to be proactive and utilise the player as much as the player utilises them

I think the questions are also fairly limited. Are you going to go home after 2 years?

How about : what can we do to make you consider a long term involvement? Sure you might get some bizarre requests but at least you have opened a dialogue.

You can also negotiate. : If you have your mind set on leaving give us 2 good years and we will do everything to accommodate your request to return 'home' , all our press conferences shall be golden sunshine.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With all of the players leaving the Gold Coast (or at least rumoured to), you think the Suns might be thankful for his honesty and knowing they don't need to waste a top pick on him now? *Tongue in cheek*
I'd pick him up anyway and then try and prise two 1st's from Crows or Port in 12 months time They are in a rebuild after all
And just maybe with time up there may have a change of heart. Particularly if there happens to be some QUALITY Reverse Cowgirl action ;-)

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The punishment of being one of the best kids in your draft year - you have to go to one of the shittest clubs. Yeh great, so happy about working so hard and being the best I can be so that my career can go and get screwed by a club and coach that have NO Idea
Could be the best coach ever but if you don't have the cattle you won't make a difference

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This goes against Collingwood 2018 (with the injuries)
Collingwood still had the cattle to be good.Certainly Buckley picked his game up to improve Collingwood this year. Give him GC's list and he would struggle , not because he can't coach but wouldn't have the players to execute the plans

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last place a kid would want to go to would be GC. Their lack of player development, lack of facilities, lack of supporters, lack of on field leadership for you to learn off and a questionable head coach are things a kid would put great thought into.
Not all of these issues are GCs fault, and they can be fixed, but for the now its an issue.

leobarryustar

Milking frees
Margin Mania Chess Club Member BeanCoiNFT Investor Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Sorry if this has already been said, but Wingard did the same thing to GWS. No sanctions for him.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
According to the OP he stated he had no interest in joining them and pleaded for them not to pick him

I still don’t see how it is draft tampering and why should his management be punished.

Its draft tampering because when a player signs up for the draft they agree contractually to be available to be drafted by anyone and move anywhere.

If a player or manager then attemps to counter that agreement in pre draft 'negotiations / interviews' they are erroding the integrity of the draft process.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
You really could achieve the same results with a half-arsed/poor interview surely?

"Why do you want to play footy at the top level?" - For the cash and to get the chicks
"What about living on the Gold Coast would appeal to you?" - the party lifestyle
"What do you consider your strongest position?" - reverse cowgirl so I don't have to look at her face.

Or more to the point.

'Where do you see yourself in 2-4 years time?'

Playing in Adelaide for the team I supported growing up!'

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
See the difference in reactions to SOS and Cripps both saying they'd be happy to try and recruit homesick draftees after two years.
Rubbish.

No one cared that Freo were sniffing around Hogan's a-hole since before he was recruited, or when Adelaide were chasing Gibbs.

It's a different situation when the player hasn't been drafted yet.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Yeah it's one of the weird things about sports with equalisation like this.

Finish top of your Uni and interview well, you get the pick of your employers.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Yeah it's one of the weird things about sports with equalisation like this.

Finish top of your Uni and interview well, you get the pick of your employers.

I see where you are coming from, but I'll be the devils advocate.

You are a brilliant player, best in your group and you are drafted to the bottom team. As a personal challenge, it is on his back to bond with the player group and endeavour to lift the team into a winning culture. It shows a strength in his character, and shows he is prepared to do the hard digging. In essence he will find another bow to his armoury. If he went to a chart topping club, he may never have to extend himself.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Last place a kid would want to go to would be GC. Their lack of player development, lack of facilities, lack of supporters, lack of on field leadership for you to learn off and a questionable head coach are things a kid would put great thought into.
Not all of these issues are GCs fault, and they can be fixed, but for the now its an issue.
Lack of facilities? I'll cop the rest for the time being but we have made sweeping behind the scene changes to rectify all this, but we have just got spanking new facilities this year thanks to the Comm Games. So if you are going to slag my club off at least be accurate.

Back