Games & Recreation JK Rowling The Sexual Deviant - The Harry Potter Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics Melbourne Stars
Harry-potter-meme-with-lord-voldemort-memes.jpg

Some of the released material about the new fantastic beasts movie puts a certain character from the books/movies in a different light

voldemorts snake nagini is actually a person who gets trapped as a snake
I feel like I'm one of the few who thinks that is really fascinating!!!

I feel like I'm one of the few who thinks that is really fascinating!!!
Makes sense when you remember from the books
dumbledore speculating how and why nagini is so devoted to Voldemort and the control he has over her is above and beyond a parseltongue

I need a winning spell.
Help.
If only we could pretend to give all the Eagles players Felix Felicis, then they will THINK they are lucky and will play amazingly :p Right MWPP?!?

If only we could pretend to give all the Eagles players Felix Felicis, then they will THINK they are lucky and will play amazingly :p Right MWPP?!?
For some reason, I didn't get your notify :eek:
But liking it in retrospect
The Felix Felicis worked - for starters, the Pies' banner broke, and then Rioli's lucky goal was what we needed after the early 29 point deficit

Exciting times. Hoping this one doesn't rely on either paying money or waiting in order to play more than a few mins at a time*
*despite the issue with Hogwarts Mystery, I'm still addicted to it :p

Speaking of HP, I checked out the Store of Requirement in Collingwood (fully decked in Eagles' gear of course) on the Friday before the GF . I felt like I was in Diagon Alley or the Common Room. I was so tempted to buy Crookshanks, but couldn't justify the cost or the luggage space :(

Exciting times. Hoping this one doesn't rely on either paying money or waiting in order to play more than a few mins at a time*
*despite the issue with Hogwarts Mystery, I'm still addicted to it :p

Speaking of HP, I checked out the Store of Requirement in Collingwood (fully decked in Eagles' gear of course) on the Friday before the GF . I felt like I was in Diagon Alley or the Common Room. I was so tempted to buy Crookshanks, but couldn't justify the cost or the luggage space :(
Doesn't look like a filthy pay to win mobile game, would have to be current generation console to be leaking now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone going to the Wizards Brunch thing?
I don’t think there’s one in Perth , so I won’t be going*
*Unless they announce more dates in Melbourne next year and one of them happen to match a weekend the Eagles are playing
Have a great time though

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
First 3 books were great, book 4 was a classic, 5 and 6 were alright, 7 was one of the most disappointing and stupid endings to a series ever.
I never actually got around to the last one. Was about 2-3 weeks out from joining the navy and didn't want to spend my remaining freedom reading a book.

I remember one week in early 2002 I was sick in bed the entire week, and I just reread the first four HP novels (all that were released at that time). Was one of the great weeks!

I remember reading Goblet around the time I went on my school snowy excursion, and right up to the Sydney Olympics. Remember reading Chamber around the time of a School Athletics Carnival. HP hype went through the roof between the start and end of 2000 (when the film leads were announced). In mid-2000 kids carrying around HP volumes was ubiquitous. With the release of Goblet it really punctured pop culture.

Of course, the release of Phoenix is about as hype as a book release is ever likely to get. It was bigger than the latest Pokemon game.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I rewatched the film series during the late 2017 reruns.

Felt that Stone and Chamber had stood up rather well, and things started to slip with Goblet and Phoenix. By Goblet, the films start becoming conclusion-conscious, and the teen elements (whilst appreciated on release) may date more quickly. The formula fatigue sets in come Goblet, at the same time as the films extend beyond the initial drawcard of the Hogwarts trio stakes.

I'd rank them (as films, not adaptations) like this:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban 9/10
2. Philosopher's Stone 8/10
3. Chamber of Secrets 7.5/10
4. Deathly Hallows Part 2 7.5/10
5. Half Blood Prince 7/10
6. Goblet of Fire 7/10
7. Order of the Phoenix 6.5/10
8. Deathly Hallows Part 1 6.5/10

I rewatched the film series during the late 2017 reruns.

Felt that Stone and Chamber had stood up rather well, and things started to slip with Goblet and Phoenix. By Goblet, the films start becoming conclusion-conscious, and the teen elements (whilst appreciated on release) may date more quickly. The formula fatigue sets in come Goblet, at the same time as the films extend beyond the initial drawcard of the Hogwarts trio stakes.

I'd rank them (as films, not adaptations) like this:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban 9/10
2. Philosopher's Stone 8/10
3. Chamber of Secrets 7.5/10
4. Deathly Hallows Part 2 7.5/10
5. Half Blood Prince 7/10
6. Goblet of Fire 7/10
7. Order of the Phoenix 6.5/10
8. Deathly Hallows Part 1 6.5/10
I am much more of a HP book than a movie fanatic , but will briefly reply anyway . I agree that the earlier 2 films dated well relative to how they were received at the time but disagree that GoF didn’t (it remains my favourite movie ). I don’t rate PoA very highly

My movie order is probably
1. GoF
2. DH Pt 1
3. CoS
4. PS
5. DH Pt 2
6. HBP
7. PoA

The real reason I came back to this thread was because I wanted to share the fact that we just used a Harry Potter reference at work to help a kid (and Harry Potter fanatic ) with his anxiety :)

He immediately noticed some of the HP merchandise I had on me (crossbody bag, notebook and diary being the most prominent ones ) and we chatted about Harry Potter. We then talked about how Harry pretended to spike Ron’s drink with /Felix Felicis but didnt actually do so , and how Ron *thinking* he had taken it was enough to overcome his “nerves” and perform . It turned out to be the perfect way to explain it yayyy .

As part of his management plan - the kid is going to create his own “liquid luck” , and this has been written into his management plan

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I am much more of a HP book than a movie fanatic
I think most people are. As solid as the films were, I'd be surprised if someone preferred the films to the books (although I'm sure they exist). You generally have to be a pretty sensational adaptation, or do something really different with it, to transcend the lauded source.

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So, random question.

I bought tickets to the Cursed Child and they happened to be the 21st and 22nd of March. If anyone wants to swap dates (ie they have no interest in watching another Richmond v Carlton snoozefest) let me know! They are good seats, first couple of rows Grand Cirlce!

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Hi guys.
Are any of you good at creating guernseys?
I'd like to see what a Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin guernsey would look.

Hufflepuff would have Richmond's guernsey.
Preferably this one.

Richmond-1906.gif

I apologise if I've asked this before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back